Already waiting for fall 2011!

laurend

Wow! This thread was created in mid-November! I only started my first application around that time. But I'm finally finished. At least with submitting stuff. I trying to tie loose ends and make sure that all schools have everything. It's more of a hassle than I thought it would be. Just have to keeping chipping away.

But it feels like the waiting game has already begun. It really doesn't make me feel any better when people I know have heard something. Another student in my department has heard back from two schools to set up interviews! I tell myself that he's applying to totally different schools and in a different field. Someone else I know (same field) got invited for an interview. But I didn't apply there. Almost did though. I'm starting to think what ifs? but I had my reasons not applying there. I have to keep telling myself not to worry for at least a month.

Best of luck to everybody else!

The deadline to my program is January 15th... January 15th!!!! That feels like light years from now! Fortunately you could submit materials starting December 15th but the Neuro program I am applying to runs a little later than others so they wont even take a look at the stuff until January. I am FREAKING OUT!!!

I am also thinking a lot about "What if.....?". Also to the last poster, the same is happening to me, a lot of people in my field are hearing back but nothing has been sent out from the school/department I am applying to.

Good luck!

this video EXACTLY portrays my (and all our ?) situation:

ETA: just to give you the background: this little dude is waiting for the Wii to come out. and is waiting in front of the store before the store opens... few days before the Wii is released! :D

Edited by bhikhaari

I just watched that entire episode of southpark because you submitted the video. The ENTIRE episode is about waiting..... I wonder if we cryogenically freeze ourselves if we can make the time go faster... just a thought :)

Everything is in as of yesterday. Now the doubts and nutty thoughts have arisen.

"Shit, I should reread my personal statements again and again to make sure I didn't make a stupid mistake!"

"Maybe I need to check my email again....10 minutes later?" --> This is urged on with periodic rushes of hope as I have my email situated in a desktop toolbar on my mac. Everything the a new email appears I get a peaceful....ping.

"I should really do something productive...screw it you worked your ass off since August."

"READ something other than a scholarly article."

"Call a friend...naw they don't want to hear me fret about this stuff."

"Man, I should really have addressed my statement of purpose to more people at that school."

"Now seems like a good time to day dream about where I want to end up and consequently research rents, cool things to do, good restaurants. Shoot, maybe that is a terrible idea since I might not get in."

Edited by musicforfun

I think the waiting will get much much worse as soon as February hits. I'm applying for a Masters in School Counseling and I wish they would just tell me already. No knowing what Ill be doing next year is driving me crazy! I do have one interview scheduled for January but otherwise, I've heard nothing and I probably wont until March...... :(

For anyone who's curious, I heard (from my potential adviser when I went for an interview) that the person in charge of coordinating the OEB Department at Harvard isn't super invested in getting the process rolling, so to expect to hear a little bit later than average this year.

(A very long disclaimer: I'm applying to Ph.D programs outside of both of my undergrad majors with a nonstellar GPA from the regional capital near my post as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Africa. I scheduled a bunch of visits on my visit home for the holidays because I knew I wouldn't be able to visit schools after admissions decisions had been made. So it's not as though official interviews have been granted from any of the places to which I applied--I just gatecrashed them.)

But I wish they'd hurry up and say something.

Good luck, everyone!

I called Harvard to check my app materials the other day, and the GSAS lady was very polite and understanding. However, when I asked a rough estimate for release of decisions, she said "last week of March or first two weeks of April" (applying to all departments). I'm guessing that she Must have misspoke - there's no way they could give an offer on April 10 when the generally accepted response deadline is April 15. If that's the case, she must have meant the last week of February and the first two of March, right?

If so, it looks like we have a good 7 weeks before Harvard says anything.

Everything is in as of yesterday. Now the doubts and nutty thoughts have arisen.

"Shit, I should reread my personal statements again and again to make sure I didn't make a stupid mistake!"

"Maybe I need to check my email again....10 minutes later?" --> This is urged on with periodic rushes of hope as I have my email situated in a desktop toolbar on my mac. Everything the a new email appears I get a peaceful....ping.

"I should really do something productive...screw it you worked your ass off since August."

"READ something other than a scholarly article."

"Call a friend...naw they don't want to hear me fret about this stuff."

"Man, I should really have addressed my statement of purpose to more people at that school."

"Now seems like a good time to day dream about where I want to end up and consequently research rents, cool things to do, good restaurants. Shoot, maybe that is a terrible idea since I might not get in."

musicforfun- LOL about the "peaceful ping." I have a mac too, so every new little alert sends a nice wave of hope as I anticipate who could have sent me an email....then I open Mail and see that it is yet another news update, special offer, facebook post, and that little glimmer of hope flies out the window until the next "peaceful ping."

Edited by zjwah

I'm feeling really burned out this year, thanks to a combination of school, financial woes, and health concerns. I'm really having a hard time feeling anxious about my applications. I haven't even checked up on them to see if all my letters of reference arrived. I'm really leaving this up to God this year to make things happen. In my field, there are too few schools and no "safety" schools as it were. So if it doesn't happen, there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. If I don't get in somewhere this year, I've pretty much resolved to call it quits.

I called Harvard to check my app materials the other day, and the GSAS lady was very polite and understanding. However, when I asked a rough estimate for release of decisions, she said "last week of March or first two weeks of April" (applying to all departments). I'm guessing that she Must have misspoke - there's no way they could give an offer on April 10 when the generally accepted response deadline is April 15. If that's the case, she must have meant the last week of February and the first two of March, right?

If so, it looks like we have a good 7 weeks before Harvard says anything.

Balderdash, I don't know about your field, but for Harvard's OEB I was told that I can start expecting to hear back in late January or (this year) early February. Another school I applied to is a "mid-February" place, although rolling admissions mean that the person may not have basis for that assertion...

Edited by awvish

Sheepi-

I am also waiting to hear back from Neuroscience programs... where are you applying?

Also- How do I get a peaceful ping on a mac?! I want one! Some one, please tell me how :) THANK YOU!

Hola! Thought I would contribute to this waiting room..

I applied to four schools for PhD in Spanish: NYU, UVA - Charlottesville, UNC - Chapel Hill, and University of Pennsylvania. I just finished a double MA in Spanish and French Langs/Lits and am now teaching so I've been pretty busy but now that it's January I'm sorta nervous about the decisions which could be rolling in as early as the last week of this month...eek. Good luck to everyone!