Gainesville, FL

Guest jyoti

If anyone's looking for a housing recommendation, I can recommend Towne Parc. I lived there for three years. It's serviced by three bus routes, all of which will get you to a major hub on campus in about 10-15 minutes. The property owners are brothers, exceedingly kind and responsive, and with great memories to boot: after living there for a year, and having only spoken to them once that whole time, they remembered my name and which apartment I lived in. There's a pool, a small gym, W/D in many of the units (and laundry facilities at the complex for those who don't have a W/D)—and there's a medium-sized pond in the middle of the complex, complete with hilarious, territorial goose. 

The buildings themselves look a bit dated, but the apartments are nice and well-sized for the price (although I'm sure those have gone up since I lived there). I heard a few parties in the three years I lived there, but nothing excessive. There were a good mix of undergraduates, graduate students, and families. Also, they're pet friendly (no weight limit for dogs; not one that was enforced anyway)—I had to pay a pet deposit, but there was no monthly pet fee.

• 10 months later...

Hasn't been a lot of movement in a while so I will throw this out there..I am starting a PhD program at UF this Fall (2016) and heading down this weekend to start apartment hunting. Any suggestions/recommendations? I am looking at Continuum, a few lofts and studios and University Heights. 

On 2/16/2016 at 1:03 AM, AnthroFilm said:

Hasn't been a lot of movement in a while so I will throw this out there..I am starting a PhD program at UF this Fall (2016) and heading down this weekend to start apartment hunting. Any suggestions/recommendations? I am looking at Continuum, a few lofts and studios and University Heights. 

Hey, I am an undergrad at UF at the moment. I realize this is a bit late but I'll still try and help! I don't know anyone who has lived in Continuum. Although it is very close to campus, it is a good distance from where all of the classes are held and I am not sure if there is a bus for that place. Our campus is huge, but most classes are located in the northeast portion of campus. If you are anthro, I believe that is where you would go (Turlington most likely). I am not sure what your budget is, but here are few options:

If you are looking for really cheap rent (sub 400/mo) and don't mind a 30 min bus ride to and from campus, then Gateway at Glades is one place I have lived in previously. At the time I payed 340 but they moved it up to 350 this past year. Gateway is full of grad students, with a large international student population. Not a lot of partying going on there. Not super high in quality (e.g. thin walls, things break sometimes like the A/C but they usually come quickly to fix that), but it is extremely cheap even for this area. Utilities are not included and range about 30-70 depending on how much you use A/C. The upside to this place is that it is located right down the road from a Publix supermarket, and tons of places to eat. There are other apartments near Gateway that are a little more expensive and a little higher in quality if you are not satisfied with what Gateway offers. 

If you have a bit more to spend and want to live far from campus, there are some nice apartments near 20th and 62nd (i.e. The Woodlands, The Pavillion). These are nice, but the population is split between UF students and students at the local community college (Santa Fe). Near these two is a cheaper option called Cabana Beach. Woodlands and Pavillion are around 520/mo and Cabana is about 400 or so (might be higher now). All of these places are on a bus route that takes about 25 min to central campus. None are very close to supermarkets however.

The courtyards is very close to campus (right across the street from most classes in fact) and is not horribly expensive for the location (450 last time I checked I believe). There are a lot of undergrads here, so partying is pretty common here. 

Renting a house just north of University Avenue is also an option. You can find all kinds of price ranges, but these are more complicated because you need to set up your own utilities with GRU (gainesville regional utilities). GRU is not cheap either! But if you deal hunt on Zillow or something then you can find places for really cheap (but your quality will vary tremendously). Some houses are a 15-20 minute walk from Turlington, but others might require you to ride a bike to get there in reasonable time. 

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions about Gainesville or UF!

11 hours ago, Applicant38 said:

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions about Gainesville or UF!

Hi, your reply above was really helpful! I have applied to UF and am waiting to hear back about a fellowship application so not too sure if I'm going to be accepted or not yet. I visited over Labor Day and I have to say I was a bit surprised at Gainesville. I don't know whether it was just humidity + huge football game but the town was dead, the campus was dead and the area around where I was staying felt a little sketchy. I guess I was just wondering whether it was the combination of it being a holiday and where I was staying that lead to the impression that Gainesville wasn't particularly friendly or safe? I really liked the department there and I do like the warmth (I used to live in Greece and Thailand so am used to heat and humidity) but the atmosphere just seemed a bit "off". Anyone willing to happily correct me?? 

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Hi, your reply above was really helpful! I have applied to UF and am waiting to hear back about a fellowship application so not too sure if I'm going to be accepted or not yet. I visited over Labor Day and I have to say I was a bit surprised at Gainesville. I don't know whether it was just humidity + huge football game but the town was dead, the campus was dead and the area around where I was staying felt a little sketchy. I guess I was just wondering whether it was the combination of it being a holiday and where I was staying that lead to the impression that Gainesville wasn't particularly friendly or safe? I really liked the department there and I do like the warmth (I used to live in Greece and Thailand so am used to heat and humidity) but the atmosphere just seemed a bit "off". Anyone willing to happily correct me?? 

Where did you stay during your visit? 

I went to UF for undergrad and still visit once a year since some of my friends still attend (both undergrad and graduate students). On a Labor Day weekend, students are either vacationing outside of Gainesville or tailgating for the football game; some parts of campus should be deserted while other parts should have been thriving.

Gainesville is a quintessential college town that revolved around the campus. I had a very enjoyable time there. I recognize you mostly from the Wine, Whine and Wait thread so please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the area! 

@RCtheSS thanks! If I hear positive news from them I might just be picking your brains! My boyfriend's good buddy went to UF and raves about it, but I just got a weird vibe. I guess it doesn't help when you visit on a non-normal day. I've just been looking at apartments and everything and holy crap my money would go so much further in gainesville.

Just now, hippyscientist said:

@RCtheSS thanks! If I hear positive news from them I might just be picking your brains! My boyfriend's good buddy went to UF and raves about it, but I just got a weird vibe. I guess it doesn't help when you visit on a non-normal day. I've just been looking at apartments and everything and holy crap my money would go so much further in gainesville.

You're welcome! Yes, Gainesville is wonderfully cheap!! I usually coordinate my trips around payday so I can eat and drink as much as I please without feeling guilty about it, hahaha. I'm from another city in Florida and the cost of living in general in the state is a godsend. 

4 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Hi! I would just like to corroborate the post by RC above. On certain holidays, most of the student population leaves. But on a day to day basis, the campus is usually full of people and the city itself is very lively.

On 2/21/2016 at 0:01 AM, Applicant38 said:

This was an amazing response, thank you so much!! I was actually in Gainesville apartment hunting and sniffing around the city over the weekend. I met some great folks at a graphic design show Friday night and enjoyed seeing the remodeled student center on Saturday (even got a pic with Albert and Alberta). 

I toured about 9 complexes, so I have some decisions to make. I am a huge coffee freak, so what place do you recommend? I tried Know Where and Volta. I prefer Know Where, but I am sure there are other places I need to try. Also, any good "must eat" places? I tried Crane Ramen, Burrito Brothers, and Leonardo's Pizza. What else should be on the list? (I am coming back in April for a "get to know you" weekend.) Also, and this may be off base... but what is up with the hotels always being booked??? Sheesh.

Thanks again, I appreciate all of your help!! 

12 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

I don't know whether it was just humidity + huge football game but the town was dead, the campus was dead and the area around where I was staying felt a little sketchy. I guess I was just wondering whether it was the combination of it being a holiday and where I was staying that lead to the impression that Gainesville wasn't particularly friendly or safe? 

I just visited last weekend and thought the city had an "interesting" vibe (reminded me a bit of Manchester). I concur some areas seemed a bit sketch, but not any more than any other city I have lived in. The university was packed (so much so it convinced me to walk or cycle to class) and my biggest complaint was that I got stuck in a huge frat pool party by accident while touring a complex. However, I am not a football fan so I am a bit nervous about home game weekends. I talked to a few folks who told me which bars to avoid on game days. Good luck with the fellowship! 

Edited by AnthroFilm

27 minutes ago, AnthroFilm said:

This was an amazing response, thank you so much!! I was actually in Gainesville apartment hunting and sniffing around the city over the weekend. I met some great folks at a graphic design show Friday night and enjoyed seeing the remodeled student center on Saturday (even got a pic with Albert and Alberta). 

I toured about 9 complexes, so I have some decisions to make. I am a huge coffee freak, so what place do you recommend? I tried Know Where and Volta. I prefer Know Where, but I am sure there are other places I need to try. Also, any good "must eat" places? I tried Crane Ramen, Burrito Brothers, and Leonardo's Pizza. What else should be on the list? (I am coming back in April for a "get to know you" weekend.) Also, and this may be off base... but what is up with the hotels always being booked??? Sheesh.

I am not big on coffee so I would not be the best person to ask about that! But I can recommend a few more restaurants in Gainesville beyond what you mentioned: Satchel's (a bit of a drive away but great pizza and itallian), Andaz (downtown indian restaurant, buffets during mid-day), Flying Biscuit (breakfast food, very popular so you usually have to wait, known for their biscuits), and Peach Valley (another breakfast place on Archer). The hotels are always booked near campus because of either football games, convnetions in the Reitz Union, or any other event going on locally. But there are some cheap places to stay that have more spaces available during those times (e.g. south of the university on 13th there are some).

2 hours ago, AnthroFilm said:

Also, and this may be off base... but what is up with the hotels always being booked??? Sheesh.

I just visited last weekend and thought the city had an "interesting" vibe (reminded me a bit of Manchester). I concur some areas seemed a bit sketch, but not any more than any other city I have lived in. The university was packed (so much so it convinced me to walk or cycle to class) and my biggest complaint was that I got stuck in a huge frat pool party by accident while touring a complex. However, I am not a football fan so I am a bit nervous about home game weekends. I talked to a few folks who told me which bars to avoid on game days. Good luck with the fellowship! 

Thanks for the reply! Instead of hotels have you thought about Airbnb? I just looked and I wish it's  what I'd done in gainesville, i think the hotel I stayed in put me off a bit (it had "sweaty walls and floors" that's the best way I can describe it).

You see I am not a city girl! Funnily I might be better had I visited now as I definitely live in a place where you wouldn't want to walk home alone at night. Not being a football fan at UF....oooohhh I've heard they'll convert you! I was surprised at how nice all the accommodation looks online, did that translate in real life?

12 hours ago, Applicant38 said:

I am not big on coffee so I would not be the best person to ask about that! But I can recommend a few more restaurants in Gainesville beyond what you mentioned: Satchel's (a bit of a drive away but great pizza and itallian), Andaz (downtown indian restaurant, buffets during mid-day), Flying Biscuit (breakfast food, very popular so you usually have to wait, known for their biscuits), and Peach Valley (another breakfast place on Archer). The hotels are always booked near campus because of either football games, convnetions in the Reitz Union, or any other event going on locally. But there are some cheap places to stay that have more spaces available during those times (e.g. south of the university on 13th there are some).

Satchels came up frequently, so did Top Bar (I think that was the name) so I will have to try that.. I have done Flying Biscuit in North Carolina and loved it. I love Indian food, so thanks for the recommendation on Andaz. I will have to pop in there for lunch during the "get to know your adviser" weekend in April. 

10 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Thanks for the reply! Instead of hotels have you thought about Airbnb? I just looked and I wish it's  what I'd done in gainesville, i think the hotel I stayed in put me off a bit (it had "sweaty walls and floors" that's the best way I can describe it).

You see I am not a city girl! Funnily I might be better had I visited now as I definitely live in a place where you wouldn't want to walk home alone at night. Not being a football fan at UF....oooohhh I've heard they'll convert you! I was surprised at how nice all the accommodation looks online, did that translate in real life?

Yeah, I tried Air BnB, but the pickings were slim for last weekend, however they look much better for April, so I think I just picked a bad weekend to visit. One of the agents told me that first year admit notices were sent out a week ago and their office was flooded with out of town parents trying to lock in housing. I stayed at a La Quinta near I-75 and it was clean and nice enough. 

For the most part the 9 apartments were fairly expected. I have put in application for a studio at the Continiuum Graduate Housing (furnished and inclusive so less to move and easy to budget). The only place that really turned me off was College Park, but that was because of the massive pool party that was raging with shirtless frat boys and bikini clad co-eds at 2 in the afternoon and I am a little too old for that now. Most of the other places were nice enough and very convenient to the campus (I have a car but hope to just bike or walk everywhere) I went back through several of the complexes after dinner Friday night and never felt concerned. I also chatted with some current grad students at the graphic design show and none of them indicated that the area is unsafe. I did toy with the idea of renting a house and getting a roommate, but not knowing anyone there that option may be better for my second year.

I doubt they will transform me into a football fan (I lived in Pittsburgh for 5 years and used to have access to a box at Heinz field and still didn't convert) but it may be fun to try in a university setting. 

Thanks again to both of you for your input. 

On 2/22/2016 at 12:29 PM, AnthroFilm said:

Satchels came up frequently, so did Top Bar (I think that was the name) so I will have to try that.. I have done Flying Biscuit in North Carolina and loved it. I love Indian food, so thanks for the recommendation on Andaz. I will have to pop in there for lunch during the "get to know your adviser" weekend in April. 

You mean "The Top" on Main Street! Great dining establish. I can vouch for Satchel's again and again and again.

@jvpjvp I'm an international student too and I'm concerned about the prospect of renting an apartment without being able to see it in person. 

I can't get time off from my masters (I technically finish August 19th but I'll hand in my work at the end of July) to go househunting so it's either going to be a very rushed search when I get out there (like 2 weeks to find a place etc with no credit history in the US) or I'll have to sign a lease from abroad.

I thought campus lodge looked awesome but maybe a little bit too undergraddy (at least what i could tell from the website). Someone who has more experience please let me know if I'm wrong!

Anyone who's in Gainesville have any idea on rough insurance quotes for cars? Very average sorta car, very average sorta person. Just trying to get a rough idea of how much I'd need to budget to have a car.

15 hours ago, jvpjvp said:

28 years old international student here freaking out about housing options in Gainesville. I plan to start on august this year at UF. Any toughts on Campus Lodge? Also a coffee freak here @AnthroFilm ! 

More housing thoughts below.. but I tried 5 coffee shops in Gainesville and will be doing more when I return in April. My coffee impressions so far (I only drink straight black coffee):
1) Know Where Coffee: Close to campus, friendly staff and pretty good coffee they source from a roster about 90 minutes away. As the name implies they try to make a point to make you aware of where your coffee is coming from (not sure if it works, but I applaud the effort). Not the best coffee I have ever had, but passable and a nice study vibe.

2) Volta: Little hip and slightly impressed for my taste. However, they offer cupping classes and the coffee wasn't bad. They have a nice sidewalk seating area that made for fun people watching.

3) Downtown Bodega: Great locally roasted coffee (Sweetwater Midnight Oil is my preferred roast) served out of a funky little bodega in the middle of downtown. No real inside seating (as name implies), but tons of other nice soups, sandwiches and sodas. Worth the 15 minute walk from campus on your way downtown. 

4) Coffee Culture: Fun shop with good coffee, but a bit out of the way and small location makes it a bit of a gamble. I would be concerned about driving all the way there and them being full. They are open late (until 11) and have a drive thru. 

5) Maude's: Definately a contender for favorite new shop. Friendly counter / barista, solid drip/filter coffee and great location. Spacious interior seating and the food / pastries looked really good. It's located next to a theatre with tons of outdoor seating it was nice to watch the crowds pass as I sipped a nice dark roast. 

6) Starbucks: It is what it is.. but great location (across from Maude's and they have wine / beer and small plates. 

There are a few more shops I still need to check out.  

9 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@jvpjvp I'm an international student too and I'm concerned about the prospect of renting an apartment without being able to see it in person. 

I can't get time off from my masters (I technically finish August 19th but I'll hand in my work at the end of July) to go househunting so it's either going to be a very rushed search when I get out there (like 2 weeks to find a place etc with no credit history in the US) or I'll have to sign a lease from abroad.

I thought campus lodge looked awesome but maybe a little bit too undergraddy (at least what i could tell from the website). Someone who has more experience please let me know if I'm wrong!

I didn't look at Campus Lodge (hoping to do a studio since I am not sure how well I would do with a roommate and they seemed a little undergrad for my 36-year-old self) I live about 90 minutes drive to UF and spent last weekend poking around. I looked at 9 places and the letting agents all said the same basic thing, 1 bedrooms are going to be tough, but 2 and 3 bedroom shared units should be available. I am trying to book a studio at Continuum because they only rent to grad students. A few of the places I looked at (College View and Courtyards) had some pretty impressive pool side parties going at 2 in the afternoon. While I remember those days, it's no longer my scene. 2nd Ave Centre also seemed nice (my backup if Continuum doesn't work), but the letting agent told me it can be a bit young at times. I know a lot of people share houses around 8th,  Ave, and some private landlords will work with students on partial rents. It really depends on what you are in the market for both price and location/size.

If anyone needs I can post more detailed thoughts on each property... But many really blend together.   

19 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Anyone who's in Gainesville have any idea on rough insurance quotes for cars? Very average sorta car, very average sorta person. Just trying to get a rough idea of how much I'd need to budget to have a car.

I have full coverage on a 2009 Hyundai (perfect driving record) and was quoted around $420 per 6 month policy.   

Just now, AnthroFilm said:

I have full coverage on a 2009 Hyundai (perfect driving record) and was quoted around $420 per 6 month policy.   

Thank you! That's so much cheaper than what I was budgeting (I'll still keep it higher because I have no US driving record) but that's really helpful. :) 

11 hours ago, headedsouth said:

Hey guys!

I am also headed to a grad program at UF in August. I am 22, a single girl, a little shy and so a little nervous about making friends once I get down there. How have you all gone about that? 

Well I am a guy and a little older, so my experiences may be different... 

Depending on your department there will be a lot of opportunities to meet new friends. The anthropology department, for example is having a "get to know you" weekend for incoming grad students the first week of April. This will give us a chance to hang out and make friends with both our new cohort and the folks who are already there. We are also required to take certain classes as a cohort which will also facilitate introductions. 

I moved around a lot in my early and mid 20's (Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, New York) and then did my master's degree abroad. I had some of the same concerns. However, between classes, colloquiums, and conferences I made friends pretty quickly. The biggest lesson I learned was that most folks are just as shy and scared of rejection and usually appreciate you starting the conversation. Yeah, there will always be some unfriendly folks and they will rebuff your attempts at say hello, but for the most part people are relieved and appreciate you starting the conversation. These are your potential colleagues so making friends now will help you create lifelong networks.  

I am sure you'll be fine once you are in the program. I live about 90 minutes from Gainesville now and have visited twice, there are so many clubs, groups and activities between hiking, biking, theatres, sports groups and civic / volunteer associations that whatever free time you may have can easily get filled with all kinds of activities.  

I would also suggest making friends outside of your department. Seeing the same folks socially and professionally everyday can get tedious and downright exhausting. Plus it's nice to broaden your horizons and expand your comfort zone.    

I know it is a little vague and a bit trite, cheesy pep-talkish, but I hope it helps. 

Edited by AnthroFilm

11 hours ago, headedsouth said:

Hey guys!

I am also headed to a grad program at UF in August. I am 22, a single girl, a little shy and so a little nervous about making friends once I get down there. How have you all gone about that? 

I think everyone starting a grad program in another university (or in another country! like me) is anxious. You are not alone. 

As a very very shy person I can tell that making friends is a lot easier than you think. Also, do not plan the whole thing of friendship. It will happen.

On 2/16/2016 at 1:03 AM, AnthroFilm said:

Have any of you gradcafe users had any exposure to the college of engineering?  Is there a gated community of engineering students? Do they mix well with the other population of students or do they stick out easily? But seriously, I am wondering where I should live as a first year PhD student in Mechanical and Aerospace engineering. I am a single male, 21 years old currently. I am from Virginia. For a picture of my personality: I love proof writing in math, philosophy, understanding biblical scripture, and more or less cross fit. In this light, I would have been well suited in ancient Greece, but I love modern notions of fitness and mental well being. Has anybody else migrated very far to Gainsville and what were the adjustments you sustained?

On 3/3/2016 at 3:23 PM, bposadas said:

It depends on if you get a kitchen with an electric or gas stove, and how much you use your AC, which may be a lot more in the summer months! Just for electricity, I spend about $30 a month.

Thanks for that @bposadas someone said Gainesville is super expensive for utilities so I decided to rent at the Continuum since it it all inclusive. However, if electric really is under 50 per month then I may look elsewhere next year depending. (I pay almost 100 per month in electric in Jacksonville and never run my AC).  

On 2/24/2016 at 0:45 PM, hippyscientist said:

Sorry @hippyscientist for some reason it keeps forcing me to quote you and I can't delete this... 

On 3/5/2016 at 1:45 PM, rotating_flammable_quark said:

Have any of you gradcafe users had any exposure to the college of engineering?  Is there a gated community of engineering students? Do they mix well with the other population of students or do they stick out easily? But seriously, I am wondering where I should live as a first year PhD student in Mechanical and Aerospace engineering. I am a single male, 21 years old currently. I am from Virginia. For a picture of my personality: I love proof writing in math, philosophy, understanding biblical scripture, and more or less cross fit. In this light, I would have been well suited in ancient Greece, but I love modern notions of fitness and mental well being. Has anybody else migrated very far to Gainsville and what were the adjustments you sustained?

Good luck on accommodations.. I liked the Continuum based on the all inclusive rent and the fact that it doesn't allow undergrads (I am a bit older and most of the other complexes bragged about their poolside ragers). I will say in my very limited exposure to Gainesville it reminds me a bit of Charlottesville, Virginia. It is a walkable, funky university town in a conservative area. But, I could be way off base. Regardless, I am excited after my sightseeing weekend.  

52 minutes ago, AnthroFilm said:

Thanks for that @bposadas someone said Gainesville is super expensive for utilities so I decided to rent at the Continuum since it it all inclusive. However, if electric really is under 50 per month then I may look elsewhere next year depending. (I pay almost 100 per month in electric in Jacksonville and never run my AC).  

I am excited too. If you truly believe it is anything like Charlottesville VA then I would be thrilled to attend for my graduate studies and work. I am waiting to hear back from UVA. I love the downtown area with their tea bazar, and music. I hope Gainesville will be cheaper, but C-ville isn't that costly. If anyone has any insight into the college of engineering there and other graduate exclusive housing I am all ears.