Gainesville, FL

Guest jyoti

Hey guys! I just got a full fellowship to UF so I am seriously considering going to Gainesville, FL. I was wondering if people could tell me more about UF and Gainesville (the weather, dorms, etc). Can graduate students live in the dorms? When do we pick apartments? How much do they cost? What kinds of things are there to do in Gainesville for fun?

I've got a 2 bed 2 bath condo i'll be moving out of over the summer. $600 a month, $600 deposit. It's on the southwest corner of campus, although it isn't officially on campus. Several bus routes stop right in front of the complex. Also, the place is just a few blocks from tons of stores (best buy, target, walmart), restaurants, and grocery stores.

^ Whaat, mrbrooklyn, you're considering UF as well? I was admitted to their MA program and am seriously considering it...

So, Gainesville folks, here's my question: How much of a culture shock will I have moving from New York to central Florida?

On 3/11/2012 at 2:31 PM, Mandi Desormeaux said:

I just found this post and I'm curious if you found a place to live with your fiance. Did you end up going to UF? This is the first I've heard about this law. I've lived with boyfriends in the past and never had a problem, but is it enforced in Gainesville?

I haven't decided where I'm going yet, I'm actually visiting Gainesville right now.

I went to UF for my undergrad. It wasnt the best place for me during undergrad because I was overwhelmed by the class sizes and just felt lost in the campus but graduate school im sure is much different there as you go through the program with pretty much the same small group. I lived there for 5 years from 2004 to 2009. Here are my thoughts:

- Weather isnt bad, it gets chilly for florida there some winters but i like that it actually felt like we had a winter. In the summer it can be very hot and humid but you adjust. I still went running pretty much every day and survived by going late afternoons or early morning.

- No beaches but there is a lake not too far from campus thats free to UF students to use

-Pretty nice mall there and off archer road near the interstate there is a nice strip mall.

- Because its a college town everything is usually open late

- Having a car is definitely nice there as the bus system isnt that great unless you are just going to campus or downtown and even that isnt always super convenient. I almost missed a final once because the buses werent running on a saturday afternoon. But during the week and class hours buses run pretty much every 15 to 20 minutes.

- Lots of off campus housing options and the rent was cheap in my opinion. I lived with random roommates 3 out of the 5 years I was there and just had my own bedroom and bathroom and shared common areas for less than 600 a month with water, cable, internet, and electric included. I liked not having to worry about my roommates finances. But lots of people rent houses together or apartments for fairly cheap as well. I also rented apartments with friends and paid about the 650 split for rent excluding utilities

- UF has a lot of pride so during football and basketball seasons especially it can be really fun being a gator, tail gating, parties, etc.

- Pretty active night life as well, lots of clubs and bars downtown.

- not a bad commute to jacksonville or tampa area. I drove to both quite often during my years there.

- streets around campus are pretty bike friendly

- very diverse set of people especially due to the huge undergrad population

- fairly rural and boring after about a 10 mile radius from the university.

- beautiful and large campus

- Pretty active alumni community which can be good for networking as well.

Hope this helps someone in making their choice, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I was just accepted to the MSM program at UF. I'm very excited about this; I never thought I'd get in!! ^_^

Now I'm seriously considering moving to the area. I have lived in fl but never have been to Gainesville.

I read some of you posts a few weeks ago but I know I won't know for sure where is best for me until I see for myself. I will be going back down to FL a month from now. I wanted to know does UF have temporary housing available for grad students until they find a place? Also, where would you recommend a 25 year old who wants enough peace to study but also wants to have fun in his spare time?

I'm considering attending UF (I'm a native Floridian), but I am concerned because I know that there is a law banning unmarried couples from living together in Florida. My fiance and I want to move together and live together, so I am wondering how much apartment complexes in the area care about the law and how much it would be enforced in Gainesville. I don't want to have undue difficulty in finding a place to live because of a law that I believe is unconstitutional and outdated, and if it's a problem it would really be a deal-breaker to me about staying in Florida, as we won't be getting married for another year at least.

Don't worry about that law. I only found out about when I was considering going to FSU and reading about grad student housing options. My boyfriend and I lived together in a nice apartment in NW Gainesville for a few years and we didn't even know that law existed. No one cares.

If anyone wants the quiet, more grown-up area of town, that's definitely NW. There are some nice apartments on 39th Ave, about 25 minutes from campus.

I recommend having a car for everything *except* going to campus or downtown - driving and parking on campus is a nightmare. Just don't. But having a car for everything else is pretty necessary.

I went to UF for undergrad and loved it. A great neighborhood to checkout is the Duckpond near downtown (basically bordered by NE 13th St on the north, NE 9th St on the east, W University Ave on the south and NE 1st St on the west). It's a historic area with lovely Victorian area houses that have been carved up into apartments. There are Duckpond apartment listings on Craigslist, but I always found apartments by driving around there looking for "For Rent" signs. Many students live in the Duckpond, but it doesn't have a party atmosphere like areas closer to campus. It's also within close walking distance to downtown: the Hippodrome, the nice public library (a good place to get away from the university), the farmers' market, restaurants, bars, etc.

If you want to get away to the beach, the ocean is about an hour's drive to the east (St. Augustine/Crescent Beach) and the gulf is about an hour's drive to the west (nice little town called Cedar Key). Newnan's Lake is on the east side of town. It's not recreational like Lake Wauburg or on campus like Lake Alice, but it's a serene place to relax. One poster wrote that it's rural and boring ten minutes out of town. Rural, yes, but I disagree with "boring". There are beautiful drives and nice little towns throughout North Central Florida.

It does get pretty hot in NC Florida, but I survived a few summers with no A/C in my car, so it's manageable. A good way to beat the summer heat is to go tubing in the Itchetucknee River.

@ Chande - I don't think that the cohabitation law is ever enforced, but it is a state law, not just a UF policy: http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/798.02

Florida does have some pretty messed-up laws these days, though, as evidenced by the stand-your-ground law and the tragedy of Treyvon Martin.

Congrats to everyone who is considering Florida for grad school and good luck! Feel free to PM me with any specific questions!

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Gainesville now! I went to UF for undergrad, my boyfriend is now a grad student and I work for UF, so I've been here for a while! I LIVE WITH MY BOYFRIEND and I've never heard of that crazy law. The city government is quite progressive and Gainesville is a pretty open and liberal place. Please don't think otherwise.

I live in the Duckpond neighborhood and I would REALLY recommend this area to grad students. I can't recommend this neighborhood enough. While Gainesville makes a killing off of student apartments, you can, for the exact same price, live in a beautiful neighborhood in a really nice house within walking distance of downtown, a ten minute bike ride from campus and accessible to buses. It's a little quieter than student apartments but still has a young population and is really great if you have pets. Having lived here, I would never move back to an apartment.

My landlord's name is Jim Konish and he rents a bunch of houses in the Duckpond area. He's been there forever - sometimes I'll be sitting on my front porch and people will walk by my house and comment that Jim was their landlord 25 years ago.

As for katrocap, I honestly don't know how they survived with no car A/C in the summer. I would die. It gets really hot here and the humidity makes it feel SO much hotter. Being from Florida, I love the heat. I spend a lot of time at the pool in the summer. You will need a car here. I honestly don't use my car that often because it's possible to bike/walk and use public transit around campus and downtown, but if you plan on going ANYWHERE else, you will need a car.

For beachy people, St. Augustine is great, Jacksonville isn't far away, and I LOVE the tiny beach town of Cedar Key. For outdoorsy people, I camp in St. Augustine (dog friendly) and also drive up to Georgia for hiking/camping/whitewater rafting. You can Kayak or paddle board at Cedar Key. UF has its own recreational lake students can use for free with canoes, a rock climbing wall, a frisbee golf course, etc. UF also has an rental place called Outfitters where you can rent camping gear and other things. For people that like drinking, Gainesville will not disappoint you. There's a pretty active music scene here, although not as good as it once was. People get REALLY into Gator sports and it's really fun. I have found the Gator alumni network to be phenomenal. Gators LOVE hiring Gators.

You might be in for culture shock if you're moving from a big city.

Feel free to ask any questions!

• 11 months later...

If anyone is headed to the University of Florida and has any questions, I am willing to answer them. :)

Could you provide us with any off campus residence recommendations preferably for grad students, and low rents? I would really appreciate your help.

Could you provide us with any off campus residence recommendations preferably for grad students, and low rents? I would really appreciate your help.

I shared a townhouse in Spyglass when I lived there and if I were going back to Gainesville for grad school it is the first place I would look. Quiet neighborhood, nice place, and cheap.

I also lived in Hidden Lake and really liked the apartment (it was a two bedroom villa with a backyard) but it got really noisy on the weekends and public transportation is bad on the north side of town.

If you don't want a "nice" place but can tolerate something a little older and lived in then Sunrise Apartments on 23rd aren't terrible.

I would avoid places with big fancy pools or that only offer 4 bedroom/individual leases. Places like Cabana Beach, The Polos, etc are good for undergrad housing but get pretty noisy.

There are a lot of places available in Gainesville are many are open to negotiation so call around.

I shared a townhouse in Spyglass when I lived there and if I were going back to Gainesville for grad school it is the first place I would look. Quiet neighborhood, nice place, and cheap.

I also lived in Hidden Lake and really liked the apartment (it was a two bedroom villa with a backyard) but it got really noisy on the weekends and public transportation is bad on the north side of town.

If you don't want a "nice" place but can tolerate something a little older and lived in then Sunrise Apartments on 23rd aren't terrible.

I would avoid places with big fancy pools or that only offer 4 bedroom/individual leases. Places like Cabana Beach, The Polos, etc are good for undergrad housing but get pretty noisy.

There are a lot of places available in Gainesville are many are open to negotiation so call around.

thanks for the recs! I'm also looking at apartments for the fall.. do you know anything about verdant cove (seems like it was remodeled and renamed recently?), towne parc, point west, or williamsburg village? I do want access to a pool but also quiet and not undergrad dominated.

thanks for the recs! I'm also looking at apartments for the fall.. do you know anything about verdant cove (seems like it was remodeled and renamed recently?), towne parc, point west, or williamsburg village? I do want access to a pool but also quiet and not undergrad dominated.

Most places have a pool or allow you access to a pool at one of their other properties. The problem is that some places have massive pools and are known for their pool parties. In those situations the neighborhoods get loud and parking becomes near impossible.

Spyglass has a pool and it stays pretty quiet and relaxed and there are a number of places like that. If you ask the property manager they will most likely let you know and may be able to make a suggestion for other places to look since most places are run by the same 2-3 companies.

As for the specific ones you mentioned I only know of Towne Parc. I looked at them and I don't remember why but I decided against living there. The area that they are located has a lot of housing that is both undergrads and grads. My first apartment was actually about a block away in Countryside where I lived with 3 graduate students.

Verdant Cove is really far from campus, and just about anything, but you won't have to worry about noise out there. The public transportation out there is limited but it does exist (the FHP office is nearby and I know it runs there, not sure about any further.)

The other ones are in locations that a lot of undergrads would probably avoid so I would expect them to be reasonably quiet.

Areas to watchout for, aside from the ones with big pools, would be midtown (the area directly north or east of campus) and the student ghettos. Checkout craigslist and contact some realtors in the area as well. There is a housing glut in Gainesville and it's almost impossible to accurately consider all your options.

Most places have a pool or allow you access to a pool at one of their other properties. The problem is that some places have massive pools and are known for their pool parties. In those situations the neighborhoods get loud and parking becomes near impossible.

Spyglass has a pool and it stays pretty quiet and relaxed and there are a number of places like that. If you ask the property manager they will most likely let you know and may be able to make a suggestion for other places to look since most places are run by the same 2-3 companies.

As for the specific ones you mentioned I only know of Towne Parc. I looked at them and I don't remember why but I decided against living there. The area that they are located has a lot of housing that is both undergrads and grads. My first apartment was actually about a block away in Countryside where I lived with 3 graduate students.

Verdant Cove is really far from campus, and just about anything, but you won't have to worry about noise out there. The public transportation out there is limited but it does exist (the FHP office is nearby and I know it runs there, not sure about any further.)

The other ones are in locations that a lot of undergrads would probably avoid so I would expect them to be reasonably quiet.

Areas to watchout for, aside from the ones with big pools, would be midtown (the area directly north or east of campus) and the student ghettos. Checkout craigslist and contact some realtors in the area as well. There is a housing glut in Gainesville and it's almost impossible to accurately consider all your options.

yea. not interested in pool parties..

spyglass looks nice but a little bit towards the higher end of my budget (I'm specifically looking for a 1br in the 500-650 range). I'll put it on my list though for places to check out. I saw som craigslist ads for apartments in the oaks condominum and hawthorne reserve... would you happen to know anything about either of those?

regardless thanks for the input! really helps a lot!

I've been to one place in Hawthorne Reserve and it was really nice. That area is really convenient too if you will have a car.

I've never heard of the Oaks Condominiums but anything with the word Oaks is usually around the mall and that area can be really hit or miss. I would suggest getting a good look at it before you put down any kind of deposit.

In your price range you are really limited but if you can find a roommate you will be able to go nearly anywhere for the same money. Most places offer separate leases so if they get stuck or mess things up you won't get stuck with their mess.

I've been to one place in Hawthorne Reserve and it was really nice. That area is really convenient too if you will have a car.

I've never heard of the Oaks Condominiums but anything with the word Oaks is usually around the mall and that area can be really hit or miss. I would suggest getting a good look at it before you put down any kind of deposit.

In your price range you are really limited but if you can find a roommate you will be able to go nearly anywhere for the same money. Most places offer separate leases so if they get stuck or mess things up you won't get stuck with their mess.

Hello there,

It seems you're pretty familiar with UF and the areas around. I'm from China, a newly admitted grad student to UF. I think at the moment since I cannot really go to the neighbourhoods for a look, I want to wait a bit. Do you think when I arrive there in Aug I start to look for places I can still find some good areas to live? Or most of the great areas gonna be filled with then? Also, it's my first time going to study in a foreign country, I'm not sure how I could find someone to share a room/apartment. Do you have any advice?

I would appreciate your answer and suggestions. :)

Hello there,

It seems you're pretty familiar with UF and the areas around. I'm from China, a newly admitted grad student to UF. I think at the moment since I cannot really go to the neighbourhoods for a look, I want to wait a bit. Do you think when I arrive there in Aug I start to look for places I can still find some good areas to live? Or most of the great areas gonna be filled with then? Also, it's my first time going to study in a foreign country, I'm not sure how I could find someone to share a room/apartment. Do you have any advice?

I would appreciate your answer and suggestions. :)

Most people in Gainesville start looking around June for places to live in August. Every lease I've had began on August 1 and ended on July 31st. Some places will prorate the lease if you stay for a shorter or longer amount of time. Depending on your budget you should be alright as far as finding something in a good area for students but your options are going to be much more limited than they would be if you could go earlier.

Another option would be to find a house/roomshare on craigslist or utilize graduate student housing for your first year. When I first moved there I rented two rooms (one from March-June and one from June-August) before my lease began on August 1 and I paid under $400/month including utilities for those places. You can find them with other graduate students which make the conditions much more tolerable.

You could also contact some property management companies about your situation and see what they say. CMC and Paradigm are the two biggest but there are others as well. They would be able to tell you with better likelihood when you'll be able to start a lease and if the place is more popular among graduate students or undergrads. The problem may be, though, that some of the places they suggest will be more on the outskirts and thus a bit further away from direct-to-campus bus routes. UF students ride the bus for free and the campus routes run every 10-20 minutes though so transferring isn't really an issue in terms of cost, just convenience.

Most people in Gainesville start looking around June for places to live in August. Every lease I've had began on August 1 and ended on July 31st. Some places will prorate the lease if you stay for a shorter or longer amount of time. Depending on your budget you should be alright as far as finding something in a good area for students but your options are going to be much more limited than they would be if you could go earlier.

Another option would be to find a house/roomshare on craigslist or utilize graduate student housing for your first year. When I first moved there I rented two rooms (one from March-June and one from June-August) before my lease began on August 1 and I paid under $400/month including utilities for those places. You can find them with other graduate students which make the conditions much more tolerable.

You could also contact some property management companies about your situation and see what they say. CMC and Paradigm are the two biggest but there are others as well. They would be able to tell you with better likelihood when you'll be able to start a lease and if the place is more popular among graduate students or undergrads. The problem may be, though, that some of the places they suggest will be more on the outskirts and thus a bit further away from direct-to-campus bus routes. UF students ride the bus for free and the campus routes run every 10-20 minutes though so transferring isn't really an issue in terms of cost, just convenience.

Thank you so much jmu! The information is very useful! It helps a lot! I just wondered "utilize graduate student housing", "graduate student housing", did you refer to the housing on campus?

True, I will still try to look for an apartment near campus or at least a place near the bus routes.  Convenience is very important for me.  Also a quiet area away from those undergrad parties. You've mentioned some complexes in other posts, I will pay attention to them as well.

Thank you so much jmu! The information is very useful! It helps a lot! I just wondered "utilize graduate student housing", "graduate student housing", did you refer to the housing on campus?

True, I will still try to look for an apartment near campus or at least a place near the bus routes.  Convenience is very important for me.  Also a quiet area away from those undergrad parties. You've mentioned some complexes in other posts, I will pay attention to them as well.

There is on campus graduate and family housing that isn't terrible. There is also The Continuum which I think is worth looking into (http://www.thecontinuumforufgrads.com/). It has to be one of the most conveniently located grad specific housing areas in Gainesville.