Social Psychology Application Thread 2010-2011

A. sesquipedale

yep exactly what I was trying to say

I agree with all sides of this, just want to remind people to keep in mind that funding does not necessarily come with an acceptance. I had gotten two acceptances, but for one I didn't hear about my funding until two weeks later, and for the second I also waited a few weeks later to see if I could be considered for a TA. Certainly once I got that information I didn't hold onto both, but until then there was not really much I can do.

That being said, once people have all the information, they should (as I was told) decline the less optimal school (or at least less optimal by their opinion). Then, as another offer comes in, they should repeat this process so they never have more than two complete offers at a time.

Good luck to all that are waitlisted and good luck to all that have received acceptances... Both of these things are great news! :)

Edited by UNCguy

I went ahead and emailed my POI from UCSB.

Was told there were many applicants for few spots and that they could not offer me admission. Best wishes to the rest of you; hopefully you all will receive better news!

I saw in the Results someone got an admittance. I'm going to shoot the department an email if I haven't heard anything by Friday, as well as my other 3 remaining schools. I'd like to just get it all over with, so I can move on...err, and likely, into prep for applying again for next year.

I cracked and emailed the department coordinators at my remaining 4 schools - U of AZ, UCSB, Miami (OH), and Lehigh. I'll let everyone know what I hear back, though I don't know how many here applied to Miami and Lehigh. U of AZ said they have extended acceptances already and are waiting on responses. All acceptances and rejections will be out by the end of March.

I cracked and emailed the department coordinators at my remaining 4 schools - U of AZ, UCSB, Miami (OH), and Lehigh. I'll let everyone know what I hear back, though I don't know how many here applied to Miami and Lehigh. U of AZ said they have extended acceptances already and are waiting on responses. All acceptances and rejections will be out by the end of March.

I don't see an edit button, so excuse the double post.

UCSB:

"Our faculty are making their decisions now. We are communicating it to Graduate Division as fast as we can and you should expect to hear within the next few weeks via email."

Miami (OH):

"Our Social committee has met and reviewed applications. Offers have been made. We do not yet, however, have a full accepted class, so it is possible there could be another round of offers made. It is not uncommon for this to happen. Once our cohort for next year is established, we will send out letters to all applications."

U of Arizona:

"We have had interview weekend and have made offers to applicants. We are now awaiting acceptance. All applicants will receive notification of either a yes or no by the end of March."

I don't see an edit button, so excuse the double post.

UCSB:

"Our faculty are making their decisions now. We are communicating it to Graduate Division as fast as we can and you should expect to hear within the next few weeks via email."

Miami (OH):

"Our Social committee has met and reviewed applications. Offers have been made. We do not yet, however, have a full accepted class, so it is possible there could be another round of offers made. It is not uncommon for this to happen. Once our cohort for next year is established, we will send out letters to all applications."

U of Arizona:

"We have had interview weekend and have made offers to applicants. We are now awaiting acceptance. All applicants will receive notification of either a yes or no by the end of March."

Did you interview at Arizona?

Anyone who got waitlisted at UVA have any info? It seems their list is huge...

My friend who is waitlisted there has been getting updates from them every so often, which is nice of them. I think last time she heard from them was earlier this week -- they said they could not make an offer yet.

Anyone who got waitlisted at UVA have any info? It seems their list is huge...

Also, anyone been accepted to USC yet? Heading that way for spring break!

One person (originally on the waitlist) was accepted and is visiting in several weeks.

i have a feeling NYU will be sending out a massive wave of rejections next week...one of which will go to me

I applied to NYU as well, but to the cognition & perception PhD program. I ticked the box saying that I'd like to be considered for the MA program if I'm rejected from the PhD. I received the expected rejection letter today - it basically said that I'm out for both programs! I'm quite disappointed with the MA rejection, but I guess it's because I've already had a master's degree in Psych.

I'd assume that no news is good news, especially if you applied for the MA at the same time - it means you're still in the consideration.

Hi everyone,

Prof. Shannon McCoy just sent out this announcement on the SPSSI listserv in the event any of you are interested in work in stereotyping, social stigma, and psychophysiology:

Message From: Shannon McCoy <shannon.mccoy@umit.maine.edu>

Position/Title: Assistant Professor

School/Organization: University of Maine

Dear Colleagues,

Funding has just become available for a new social psychology

doctoral student in my lab here at the University of Maine. This

was very unexpected, and I turned away interested applicants

early in the recruiting season. If you happen to know of students

who are still looking for a PhD program in social psychology for

next Fall, please encourage them to email me.

A good fit with the lab would be someone interested in stigma and

openness to (or experience with) psychophysiological methods

(e.g., Biopac – EKG, ZKG, EMG, BP). For a recent example of

related work by my senior graduate student, see Cosley et al.

(2010), JESP.

Current projects in the lab involve examining the role of weight

stigma in academic outcomes, perceived sexism in women’s

identification with the ingroup, and several projects examining

the consequences of sexual prejudice for gay men and lesbian

women.

Interested students should email me directly to arrange a timely

submission of application materials.

Thanks!

Shannon McCoy

Assistant Professor

Department of Psychology

University of Maine, Orono

207 581 2029

shannon.mccoy@umit.maine.edu

Has anyone heard back (i.e., rejected, interviewed, accepted) from these schools...?

Northeastern, Duke, FSU, University of Houston, University of Georgia

Thanks so much!

I interviewed at Duke back in late January and was later rejected. I interviewed with Harris and he has made an offer to another student, and I know that the other professors have already made their offers or put people on the waitlist.

Ah, my mistake. Now that I think about it, that was true for last year as well. When we visited, there were 2 accepts, 2 waitlisted when I visited.

They could have switched to a full interview setup.

Re: Penn State, have they invited students to interview already? It was said earlier on this thread that interviews would be March 21st. I just find this year's decision timeline odd since last year decisions were sent out by March 1st, and students who were offered admission found out by late February. Only one entry exists on the results page for this application cycle, and that comes from someone who emailed his or her POI. I'm particularly excited at the prospect of working with my POI since she has stepped down from her post at JPSP and will have more time to mentor students. So I'm very eager to hear back from them!

Re: Penn State, have they invited students to interview already? It was said earlier on this thread that interviews would be March 21st. I just find this year's decision timeline odd since last year decisions were sent out by March 1st, and students who were offered admission found out by late February. Only one entry exists on the results page for this application cycle, and that comes from someone who emailed his or her POI. I'm particularly excited at the prospect of working with my POI since she has stepped down from her post at JPSP and will have more time to mentor students. So I'm very eager to hear back from them!

Hi HyacinthMacaw -- I can confirm that the Penn State interviews will take place on the 21st. My POI phoned me back in mid/late February. My understanding is that there are 9 invitees, but I am not sure for how many spots (or if anyone knows their accept/waitlist status yet -- I don't, anyway). It's such a late interview date that I'm betting they'll be down to the wire giving offers and then filling in spaces, so I wouldn't get too discouraged for now! They'll only have a month longer to make everyone wait come tomorrow!

Best of luck :)

Hi HyacinthMacaw -- I can confirm that the Penn State interviews will take place on the 21st. My POI phoned me back in mid/late February. My understanding is that there are 9 invitees, but I am not sure for how many spots (or if anyone knows their accept/waitlist status yet -- I don't, anyway). It's such a late interview date that I'm betting they'll be down to the wire giving offers and then filling in spaces, so I wouldn't get too discouraged for now! They'll only have a month longer to make everyone wait come tomorrow!

Best of luck :)

Thanks so much for the update on Penn State. Yes, April 15th is only a month away. All the best on your interview!

A friend of mine was accepted at Duke, but will not be going there. I don't know for sure whether she has told them that yet though.

@cautiouslyoptimistic: do you know which POI your friend was accepted with (please PM me if you don't feel like writing it here)? im on the waitlist there so the fact that someone might not be going is big news for me! thanks!

Edited by absolutcdn