McGill

WashU

Exeter

York

Manchester

UCL

maybe Warwick

maybe Vanderbilt

Focus: gender, sexuality & queer studies; disability studies; psychoanalysis/critical theory; 20-21C

I just finished my MA at Manchester. Great university! The faculty is doing some really interesting work, there are tons of masterclasses/guest lecturers, reading groups, seminar series (more than at most of the British Unis I've heard about) and the faculty and PhD students are a great bunch of folks. Their gender sexuality dept. is really renowned. And I was just at a conference in Warwick--beautiful campus. Are you applying for funding in the UK, then? I'm applying back in the States because of the whole funding issue, but I'm likely going to have to reapply (really broke with finishing the masters and job-searching so only applied to three this time around). I'm looking into Scotland (as well as others in the States) next year because they still have the overseas research scholarship, ie full funding. If you have any questions about the Uni system over here or about Manchester, let me know.

On 1/31/2011 at 10:23 AM, Whitmanhopeful said:

First time posting! But it feels good to log all of our efforts here. :)

Applied to:

Lehigh

Rutgers

CUNY Grad

University of Maryland, College Park

U Penn

WashU

Fordham

Penn State

SUNY Binghamton

All English PhD, 19th century American, poetry, Whitman.

2nd time applicant - here's to better luck this time around!!

Heya, I'm applying to Binghamton too (English with Creative emphasis)--wasn't the whole Interfolio process annoying? It took ages to get all the documents together before sending, and the info on the website was often contradictory. Ah, well. Good luck!

I'm applying to:

U Southern California

Utah U

Florida State U

Houston U

U of Cincinnati

Denver U

Texas A&M

Western Michigan

U of Missouri at Columbia

SUNY Binghamton

I'm applying either for the Ph.D. in English with creative emphasis or the full-on Creative Writing Ph.D. I've heard my chances are between 1% and 5%, which is not encouraging. I'm on pins and needles.

Hi! I'm applying to Texas A&M as well :P . Hang in there . . . a few more weeks and we'll know . . .

I'm applying to:

Columbia University

Brown University

Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)

Texas A&M

SUNY Albany

University of Nevada-Reno

I'm hoping to specialize in 19th century American literature and contemporary Asian American literature.

Good luck everyone!

C

I just finished my MA at Manchester. Great university! The faculty is doing some really interesting work, there are tons of masterclasses/guest lecturers, reading groups, seminar series (more than at most of the British Unis I've heard about) and the faculty and PhD students are a great bunch of folks. Their gender sexuality dept. is really renowned. And I was just at a conference in Warwick--beautiful campus. Are you applying for funding in the UK, then? I'm applying back in the States because of the whole funding issue, but I'm likely going to have to reapply (really broke with finishing the masters and job-searching so only applied to three this time around). I'm looking into Scotland (as well as others in the States) next year because they still have the overseas research scholarship, ie full funding. If you have any questions about the Uni system over here or about Manchester, let me know.

Oh, i'm currently at Manchester doing an MA myself. I have, for various reasons, decided against applying for the PhD programme here. Or anywhere in the UK. It just doesn't match with my career goals (i.e. getting a decent teaching job in the States).

Oh, i'm currently at Manchester doing an MA myself. I have, for various reasons, decided against applying for the PhD programme here. Or anywhere in the UK. It just doesn't match with my career goals (i.e. getting a decent teaching job in the States).

I wonder if it would be easier or harder for a Brit (I'm assuming you're British, forgive me if I'm wrong) to get a teaching job in the US. I mean, if you were doing American lit, I'd think you would not have an advantage. But my guess, based on absolutely nothing, is that if you are doing British literature, it might be easier for you. Maybe it's different in different regions of the US, but I think there is a kind of reverence or respect especially in regards to literature towards the 'mother country.' That's just what I see in terms of attitudes around here, not saying it's right or wrong. On second thought, it might only be on the level of student respect- you would be seen as more authoritative I think. But it might not matter on the level of hiring committees.

Thoughts?

Edited by woolfie

I ended up applying to a lot more master's programs than I thought I would, after a nasty snafu with GTS regarding the subject test, but Northwestern rode in like a knight in shining armor and prevented me from having to go through all this again!

I'm planning on specializing in medieval literature, specifically late-medieval mystical texts, Anglo-Saxon religious culture, and medieval women's writing generally.

Best of luck!

Congrats on the Northwestern acceptance. That's huge! Also, cool interest areas. Late medieval female mystic writing and hagiography are my secondary interests :) Good luck on your remaining apps, though with Northwestern in the bag, you hardly need it!

Really? Funny, I've probably seen you at some of the events. I finished up last year but since I'm in Manchester working I've been going to the Poetry Centre series, etc. Which tutors are you working with? And I agree about the UK PhD--that and funding is why I'm headed home.

I wonder if it would be easier or harder for a Brit (I'm assuming you're British, forgive me if I'm wrong) to get a teaching job in the US. I mean, if you were doing American lit, I'd think you would not have an advantage. But my guess, based on absolutely nothing, is that if you are doing British literature, it might be easier for you. Maybe it's different in different regions of the US, but I think there is a kind of reverence or respect especially in regards to literature towards the 'mother country.' That's just what I see in terms of attitudes around here, not saying it's right or wrong. On second thought, it might only be on the level of student respect- you would be seen as more authoritative I think. But it might not matter on the level of hiring committees.

Thoughts?

I'm American, I don't know about harpyemma. I think it'd be harder for anyone getting a British PhD to get a job in the States, whether British or American, but I don't think the subject area would matter. Since they don't have comprehensives and it is strictly research-based and the taught MA is only one year, they just don't leave their programs with the same qualifications you have in the States. In the States you leave your program as an expert in your PhD topic, but you also have the usually two areas that you took comprehensives in that you can say you are qualified to teach--they might be just as qualified to teach those subjects, but they don't have that kind of empirical proof. Also, anyone can get into a British PhD program, they don't have difficult admissions standards as they just want people to pay the postgrad fees. On top of that, the British aren't really into giving lots of awards the way Americans do. I'd noticed on grad student profiles in the States that people had awards for things like best paper at a conference, etc. I've seen nothing like that over here, which means again less quantitative data to provide for a hiring committee. If students over here have gotten funding, that's a badge of honor, but even then I think they would really have to prove themselves by getting a lectureship first and maybe after five years of experience, they could look at the States. Unless they went to Oxford or Cambridge in which case Americans seem to lose all perspective and see them as the best of the best, though ironically over here people are really aware of the pitfalls of those programs, the utter lack of theory, etc. Luckily for anyone getting a PhD in America, for these very same reasons it's easier for us to get a job in England than it is for those graduating from English universities (except for lack of connections), at least so my American and Canadian tutors over here told me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I only applied for the terminal MA courses in English at Brown and Columbia. Got an acceptance from Brown the other day! Still not heard from Columbia, but the deadline was 6 days ago. Anyone else applied for these courses?

s

English/Lit/Cultural Studies

UPenn, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UW-Madison, WashU, Cornell

Same as above but with creative options:

UConn, Cincinnati, SUNY Albany

Creative Writing PhD

Utah, U Denver, FSU, Georgia, Missouri, U of Ohio, Western Michigan, U Houston, UW Milwaukee, Nebraska, UIC

Good luck everyone!

• 1 month later...

So who has heard anything, good, bad, ugly, from GWU on the PhD front? Acceptance? Denial (play on word intended)? Waitlist? Marriage proposal? Sitting on my hands to keep from contacting them....

Edited by papernpengal

I'm hoping for an MFA program, but applied to one PhD and three MA programs as well. I'm really hoping that I won't have to do this again next year. :) Focus in any of the lit programs would be women's and gender studies, queer studies, postcolonial theory, poetics, North American literature since 1900. I am particularly looking at silencing in literature and theory.

MFA (poetry)/PhD (literature): Cornell

MFA (poetry): Texas - Michener, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Virginia Commonwealth, Old Dominion, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, McNeese, West Virginia, South Carolina, Washington U - St. Louis, Michigan - Ann Arbor, Wisconsin - Madison, Illinois UC, S Illinois - Carbondale, Kansas

MA in Lit: U Louisville, Miami - Ohio, and Brandeis (joint MA with Women's and Gender Studies)

edited to add focus.... :)

Have you heard from McNeese yet?