Northwestern

Berkeley (Rhetoric)

Vanderbilt

UMass Amherst

WashU

Brown

NYU (Comp Lit)

Villanova (M.A.)

Law and literature/19th and 20th century transatlantic lit/postcolonial (have a JD and have been practicing law for the past few years....)

Brown (Modern Culture and Media)

U of Florida

Duke (Literature)

Suny -- Stony Brook (Cultural Studies)

Suny- Albany

FSU (HOTT)

UT-Austin (DLL)

U of Minnesota

U of Rhode Island

Stanford (MTL)

Emory

I research posthumanism, technicity, hypertext and Deleuze and Guattari

On 12/20/2010 at 1:29 AM, RosemaryJuniper said:

Columbia

Cornell

Harvard

Yale

Notre Dame

Fordham

Medieval lit/manuscript studies

RosemaryJuniper - I know it's Down South, but if you're really interested in medieval and especially manuscript studies, can I suggest Florida State, also? Elaine Treharne...Also, I heard David Johnson giving a talk at the Southeastern Medieval Association conference this past fall and apparently they have a program in book studies, including specifically manuscript work as well. :)

It seems like there aren't that many people applying to terminal MA programs. Is anyone applying to places like UConn, Delaware or Vermont? All three have funded MAs so I thought the competition would be up there. But I haven't heard of anyone applying there, especially Vermont.

I'm applying only to MA programs: Oregon, Delaware, Vermont, Portland State University, UMass-Boston, Villanova, Georgetown, University of Houston.

Had I realized earlier on how bad the funding situation was, I might have applied to PhDs with the intention of leaving after the MA...oh well. I really didn't feel ready to apply to PhDs. I'm guessing those programs do have lots of applicants, but they just aren't lurking on this forum as much.

Edited by bck203

I'm applying only to MA programs: Oregon, Delaware, Vermont, Portland State University, UMass-Boston, Villanova, Georgetown, University of Houston.

Had I realized earlier on how bad the funding situation was, I might have applied to PhDs with the intention of leaving after the MA...oh well. I really didn't feel ready to apply to PhDs. I'm guessing those programs do have lots of applicants, but they just aren't lurking on this forum as much.

What is your area?

What is your area?

I really have no idea (which is a big part of why I did not feel ready for PhD programs!), but my writing sample was on 20th century fiction and my personal statement somehow tied together Latin American lit, foodways studies, gender studies and contemporary poetry. I've also done a lot of teaching/tutoring and am really interested in experiential writing pedagogies. I have no idea if I will get in anywhere...haha.

Edited by bck203

Columbia

NYU

Harvard

WashU

Fordham

Toronto

Indiana

Virginia

Georgetown

Arizona State

I'm only halfway done with applications! And I'm re-writing my letter of application each time.

Medieval Literature: the marvelous and the fantastic; gender and sexuality; spatiality and temporality; visuality, perception, the imagination. Psychoanalytic theory, unsurprisingly...

RosemaryJuniper - I know it's Down South, but if you're really interested in medieval and especially manuscript studies, can I suggest Florida State, also? Elaine Treharne...Also, I heard David Johnson giving a talk at the Southeastern Medieval Association conference this past fall and apparently they have a program in book studies, including specificallymanuscript work as well. :)

Whoops, goes to show how often I'm on the fora... I definitely considered Florida State for the reasons you mention, but when I was narrowing my choices (mainly for reasons of finance!) I pretty much randomly decided not to apply. Silly and arbitrary, really, but I honestly just want the application process to be over.

I'm hoping for an MFA program, but applied to one PhD and three MA programs as well. I'm really hoping that I won't have to do this again next year. :) Focus in any of the lit programs would be women's and gender studies, queer studies, postcolonial theory, poetics, North American literature since 1900. I am particularly looking at silencing in literature and theory.

MFA (poetry)/PhD (literature): Cornell

MFA (poetry): Texas - Michener, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Virginia Commonwealth, Old Dominion, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, McNeese, West Virginia, South Carolina, WashU - St. Louis, Michigan - Ann Arbor, Wisconsin - Madison, Illinois UC, S Illinois - Carbondale, Kansas

MA in Lit: U Louisville, Miami - Ohio, and Brandeis (joint MA with Women's and Gender Studies)

edited to add focus.... :)

My area of interest concerns the interplay of relgious and nonreligious texts, specifically how the Bible (the English translations and how it was interprested) has shaped fiction and nonreligious literature.

I have sort of broken this down to two different time periods and have applied to schools that fall into one or the other.

For applying my interest to Milton/Early Modern period, I have applied to:

Wisconsin

Northwestern

UIC

WUSTL

And Early American/Puritanism:

Brandeis

Rutgers

Brown

Notre Dame

thanks to a heads up from a poster here, i decided to throw a last minute application at Vanderbilt. they have a few people working on caribbean lit so i don't know how i missed it my first time. it said they no longer require the subject test, so maybe they did when i looked at it before.

Yay! I'm applying there too. The campus is supposed to be really beautiful....and I think they have the best funding of any program I've seen so far. Good luck!

I second everyone who has said they cannot wait until they start hearing back!

I only applied to Arizona State and the University of Florida for their PhD in literature programs. I focus on psychology in Cold War literature.

I split my applications this round: 2 are going to PhD in literature schools, and 4 are going to library science schools...I am passionate about literature, original research, and teaching...but the state of the humanities in this country kept me from applying anywhere I wasn't dying to go. I just recently turned 21 and will be graduating this spring with two degrees, so I guess my rationale is that I have time to reassess my situation in the future if things don't work out!

Good luck to everyone :)

yeah their funding seems insane (and from glancing at craigslist it doesn't seem like the cost of living in nashville is terrible). ugh i am so ready for it to be february so we can start hearing back already!

SERIOUSLY. I actually just submitted my vanderbilt app today, but I feel like I've already been waiting for a while now. What to do in the meantime....I guess I'll just read a lot of books. Hopefully that will pay off in the future. How do you feel about your apps? I'm still having a rollercoster feeling...one minute i think i'll get acceptances, the next I imagine adcoms laughing at my application....

English PhD:

Chicago

Penn State

Columbia

Albany

Buffalo

Other related dept's in sig.

AOI: Psychoanalysis, animal studies, critical theory, american literature.

I see you're applying to Cornell for Comp Lit. :) Come play with us in the Comp Lit Roll Call thread!

Hi everybody. I've been lurking for a while so I figured I'd say hello. Even though I've been planning to go to grad school for years and years (I was one of those English majors who wants to change the world and affect people and so on), I finally applied at the somewhat-last-minute this year. I'm currently teaching high school on the South Side of Chicago (and this is my first year teaching by myself as a full teacher), so I only had time to throw together a handful of applications. I did my best though. Fingers crossed! But if I don't get into a Ph.D, I plan to do an M.A. and just try, try again.

Applied to:

Columbia, Ph.D English (Yeah, right)

NYU, Ph.D English

CUNY Graduate Center, Ph.D English (can you tell where I want to live?)

Rutgers Newark, M.A. English

Northwestern, M.A. Literature

New to the board, but here's the list of schools I'm looking into:

English PhD:

SUNY-Buffalo

UIC

SUNY-Stony Brook

St. Louis University (SLU)

SUNY-Albany

Syracuse

Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)

Cultural Studies PhD:

Minnesota

George Mason

Area of Interest:

20th/21st Century American, Neoliberalism/Globalization (Political Economy), Popular Culture, Hardboiled Crime Fiction and Film Noir

Hey,

So I've been lurking a while and decided to say hi more formally. I'm applying to a ton of places because I really want to start my Ph.D. next year. Hear's hoping something works out!

All English Ph.D.

Harvard

Stanford

Brown

UC-Berkeley

Duke

U of Chicago

UT-Austin

UWI-Madison

CU-Boulder

U of Oregon

UWA-Seattle

U of Utah

WashU

U of Minnesota

Interests: Early Modern Poetry (about 1590-1620 specifically), critical theory (psychoanalysis, gender studies, and strucuralism/poststructuralism), late Medieval hagiography