NSF GRFP 2010-2011

BlueRose

The worst thing for me is that they *MUST* know who's getting it by now. Or at least most of the list. And they also must know that we're going absolutely bonkers waiting to hear back.

The worst thing for me is that they *MUST* know who's getting it by now. Or at least most of the list. And they also must know that we're going absolutely bonkers waiting to hear back.

YES! That is by far the most annoying thing.

oh man! I'm not ready for the results to come out! I enjoy hanging on to a glimmer of hope :(

Also, I'm out of the country and only get on internet a few hours each night (I'm normally smart phone addicted). When I signed on and saw the jump in page number on this thread I almost freaked out!

I've tried to avoid any hopefulness this time around. This is the last time I'm eligible, so at this point, I'd rather get flat out rejected or, obviously, receive a fellowship. I think I'd be more disappointed getting an honorable mention than getting rejected outright. With an HM, you know that you were SO close, but just not quite good enough and that would be soooooo depressing. On the other hand, though, my roommate from undergrad originally got an HM last year, but then someone turned down their fellowship so she got offered one. What a dilemma!

*Sorry if this offends any one who has gotten an HM in the past.

Edited by meb15

At this point I don't feel like I have a shot, and that's ok, I don't need the funding (would be nice to have the little "raise", but not necessary). I'm more bummed about having to tell everyone that knows how much I wanted it that I didn't get it.

On a side note: I don't know I would survive this whole process, both the NSF GRFP waiting period and grad school in general, without Grad Cafe. It is so helpful to know that other grad students wrestle with the same issues as I do and that they obsess about being notified about fellowships as much as I do, too.

See you guys later on here at 1 AM when they may post the results!

So, last year on the day before the middle-of-the-night notification, there was already a "Fastlane going down at 11pm for maintenance" message by early afternoon. Does anyone know if that was only last year, or that's been the case other years, too?

I know this is totally lame so, hopefully I'm not the only one, but has anyone else tried searching by name to see if their name might just show up?

I've done that and found 1 result.

Someone with my full name, just had a longer version of my last name. Heart skipped a beat

Haha, I couldn't resist any longer, just called the NSF. The lady at the phone said they'll announce awards within NEXT WEEK !!

Is it April 1 where you live (April Fools day)? If not, then awesome!!!

On a side note: I don't know I would survive this whole process, both the NSF GRFP waiting period and grad school in general, without Grad Cafe. It is so helpful to know that other grad students wrestle with the same issues as I do and that they obsess about being notified about fellowships as much as I do, too.

I agree!!

I know this is totally lame so, hopefully I'm not the only one, but has anyone else tried searching by name to see if their name might just show up?

Haha, I did after reading your post :)

At this point I don't feel like I have a shot, and that's ok, I don't need the funding (would be nice to have the little "raise", but not necessary). I'm more bummed about having to tell everyone that knows how much I wanted it that I didn't get it.

I think it's going to be tough for everyone who doesn't get HM or an Award to break it to everyone. I know all my friends (who are not applying) are like "Oh, you're so smart/accomplished/etc you'll totally get it!" So...what happens if I don't? :(

Is it April 1 where you live (April Fools day)? If not, then awesome!!!

No, it's not (eastern time zone). my conversation with the NSF lady was pretty short. (she seemed annoyed lol)

me: when can we expect the awards announcement?

nsf: within next week. ...(silence)

me: what are you waiting for?

nsf: the final list from nsf

I think it's going to be tough for everyone who doesn't get HM or an Award to break it to everyone. I know all my friends (who are not applying) are like "Oh, you're so smart/accomplished/etc you'll totally get it!" So...what happens if I don't? :(

Last year I just didn't say anything, and no one asked =P

FYI - you all should know, i checked the info on the new nordic fellowships and they are supposed to be announced on monday. since only NSF fellows can accept a nordic fellowship, it seems like they'll announce all the fellows then too.