NSF GRFP 2010-2011

BlueRose

to the person that asked about the HM being bumped up to award (sorry, too lazy to quote)...I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they knew of someone who was bumped up to an award from an HM because an awardee didn't accept. Am I remembering correctly?

Oh my god! I can't believe I got it!!

Beer cracked, post-midnight celebration has commenced. :D

Haha, same here!! I have to be in lab by 9...I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep tonight, haha :)It's alright, though - I have enough adrenaline running through me to keep me awake for the next week!! I already called my fiance, my mom, and texted my advisor about it, haha!!! :)

to the person that asked about the HM being bumped up to award (sorry, too lazy to quote)...I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they knew of someone who was bumped up to an award from an HM because an awardee didn't accept. Am I remembering correctly?

Yeah, but I think it's less likely this year. Last year many people got the DOE and NSF so many HM's were bumped up to fill the spots created by this. There are 2000 awards so there will be some open spots but there are also 2000 HM's.

FYI, at the bottom of the e-mail it says "reviews will be available in three business days". Don't know if that's accurate / if they really plan to take the full three days, however.

(lolwut? I got one?! yay!)

Edited by BlueRose

Just got woken by phone beeping with the email. (From reading the last 10 pages, so glad I went to bed at 1am and missed the confusion from logins but no list, etc.)

Scared to believe what email is telling my groggy brain, but... I seem to have gotten one!! Shocked and humbled and happy.

Congrats to all the awardees and HMs! And remember for those who didn't - it's a rather arbitrary process, and you are all awesome!

Just got woken by phone beeping with the email. (From reading the last 10 pages, so glad I went to bed at 1am and missed the confusion from logins but no list, etc.)

Scared to believe what email is telling my groggy brain, but... I seem to have gotten one!! Shocked and humbled and happy.

Congrats to all the awardees and HMs! And remember for those who didn't - it's a rather arbitrary process, and you are all awesome!

Please keep the insincere comments to yourself. Such a comment from someone who just won an award doesn't really make those who didn't feel that great... :)

Please keep the insincere comments to yourself. Such a comment from someone who just won an award doesn't really make those who didn't feel that great... :)

Eep, I'm sorry, it's the middle of the night and I can barely type straight. I definitely didn't mean to sound insincere, bc I'm not! I think the process is silly. And I know that's what I was telling myself when I expected to lose, and am reminding myself anyway now. This award is really not indicative of sole potential to do amazing research: we're all holding that potential, and we're all amazing to have applied. My award was in CS, amd since I'm female that means the bar was lower. My scores might have been lower than many

who didnt get awards. That's weird and a little annoying, bc I won't know how I stacked up without the diversity angle. I'm still allowed to be aware it's a fairly arbitrary process, yes? Anyway, sorry if I stepped on toes!

Eep, I'm sorry, it's the middle of the night and I can barely type straight. I definitely didn't mean to sound insincere, bc I'm not! I think the process is silly. And I know that's what I was telling myself when I expected to lose, and am reminding myself anyway now. This award is really not indicative of sole potential to do amazing research: we're all holding that potential, and we're all amazing to have applied. My award was in CS, amd since I'm female that means the bar was lower. My scores might have been lower than many

who didnt get awards. That's weird and a little annoying, bc I won't know how I stacked up without the diversity angle. I'm still allowed to be aware it's a fairly arbitrary process, yes? Anyway, sorry if I stepped on toes!

I'm sorry; my comment was the result of being told that "it's OK, you'll do fine" after a plethora of rejections this year. I didn't mean for my comment to be incendiary in any way.

The single most qualified person I know got an HM (she even had the advantage of being a girl in engineering). I got the award after half-assing my proposal (started on it Monday morning; it was due Tuesday at 5 pm) and I didn't even have any faculty input. This makes we very curious to see my ratings sheets but the arbitrariness of this process is astounding.

The single most qualified person I know got an HM (she even had the advantage of being a girl in engineering). I got the award after half-assing my proposal (started on it Monday morning; it was due Tuesday at 5 pm) and I didn't even have any faculty input. This makes we very curious to see my ratings sheets but the arbitrariness of this process is astounding.

Last year I spent almost no time preparing my application and ended up with an HM after submitting it two minutes prior to the deadline. This year, I spent *much* more time preparing the essays and also added several new awards and a publication only to receive a flat rejection. I suppose this is the last time I'll be applying to the NSF GRFP.

Went to bed and woke up again. Looks like I at least got an honorable mention! It's not an award but it's something. Seems I went to undergrad with two of the people who did get it for my category though which is a bit crazy.

I got the e-mail around 2:14, after I'd gone to bed. Nice thing to wake up to, since I was sure I must have dreamed getting the award last night!

Does anyone have info on what to do if you won, but didn't get in to any Phd programs you applied for?

There was a poster on here last year who had that problem. The NSF grumbled about it, but eventually let the poster defer the fellowship while reapplying to grad school.

Of course, if you're bringing your own $$$, you might be able to reverse some of those rejections. I would send a polite note to the graduate coordinators and ask to be reconsidered...worst they can do is say no.

So, the NSF says we can use three years in a five year period of time, but it's unclear whether or not next year HAS to be one of them. Can I accept NSF and still use my last year of full funding from my department first?

Flat out rejection. Oh well.

I'm fully funded anyway but it still would have been nice to get an external fellowship.

It was good experience and I'll try again next year.

For everyone in this situation: I had the same result last year, and this year I got a fellowship. Don't give up and don't forget the pages and pages of posts here that speak to how arbitrary this process can be. I would say the thing that helped me improve the most was attending an NSF workshop at my school about applying for the GRFP. They gave out packets with examples of winning essays and had a lot of great advice.

For everyone in this situation: I had the same result last year, and this year I got a fellowship. Don't give up and don't forget the pages and pages of posts here that speak to how arbitrary this process can be. I would say the thing that helped me improve the most was attending an NSF workshop at my school about applying for the GRFP. They gave out packets with examples of winning essays and had a lot of great advice.

Same here. Thought I had even less of a chance this year because I still didn't have any publications to my name. It did help to get to grad school and actually talk to people here who'd won it or gotten HMs, to hear what their ratings sheets said - learning mistakes to avoid definitely helped. Also, I think I had better reference letters this year instead of just professors who'd taught me once.