NSF GRFP 2010-2011

BlueRose

I heard 80,000 applicants.

Oh my! Are there really 80,000 people who want to labor in academia? I thought we were a rare breed :-). If that is the case then selecting around 4000 combined Awards and HM is a pretty great accomplishment!

https://www.nsfgradf...past_recipients

more like 9,000, out of which 1,000 are selected

Hmmm...and linked off of that page:

https://www.nsfgradfellows.org/about_the_program/fellow_profiles

They list Sergey Brin (Google co-founder) as one of their highlighted recipient profiles. Funny that he never graduated.... :) Haha I think it turned out for him alright.

Although its appears to be an exercise in guesswork, does anyone have a handle on when the results will be posted? Mid-March? Late March? Early April?

Although its appears to be an exercise in guesswork, does anyone have a handle on when the results will be posted? Mid-March? Late March? Early April?

I've heard it's late April/early May.

The NSF website says (right on the front page) that they anticipate early April. I just checked and I got my rejection last year on April 6, and that was despite the actual panel meetings being delayed by bad weather. I don't think there's any reason to be that pessimistic.

Edited by Steven

It's late March / early April.

From creeping around on the "results search":

6 Apr 2010

10 Apr 2009 (actual announcement) / 2 Apr 2009 (accidentally posted online via "new password trick")

31 Mar 2008

24 Mar 2007

Nice, thanks. I took them at their word it would be early April--though the password trick was 2008, wasn't it? Not 2009...I applied for 2009 (first time) and remember everyone talking about the inadvertent release of winners the previous year.

Nice, thanks. I took them at their word it would be early April--though the password trick was 2008, wasn't it? Not 2009...I applied for 2009 (first time) and remember everyone talking about the inadvertent release of winners the previous year.

Hmmm...all I know is what i scraped off the "results" search. Hahah, maybe it happened twice!!

What is "the password trick"? Do you just request a new password? Or is a URL manipulation?

As Krypton said, if you have external funding, you won't be getting internal funding as well. Since external funding is usually way higher.... It works out.

It depends to some extent on the program- my program allows for funding to 125% of the level of the highest departmental fellowship.... Also, even if the tuition waiver from the external fellowship won't completely cover your tuition, most universities will keep you on a full tuition waiver.

I think it depends on the program. At mine, for any fellowship you win you get 10% of its value on top of what you earned from internal funding. It's basically an incentive to apply.

I think it depends on the program. At mine, for any fellowship you win you get 10% of its value on top of what you earned from internal funding. It's basically an incentive to apply.

Are you saying that if you received external funding for $10k and an external fellowship for 30k, they would give you $13k or would they give you, $43k?

Are you saying that if you received external funding for $10k and an external fellowship for 30k, they would give you $13k or would they give you, $43k?

Yeah, Krypton has it right. We start off as "fully funded" by the program so 10% of the value of the fellowship plus what we already earn typically puts us over the total value of the fellowship.

I guess I should clarify... What I meant was that I don't think any school will let you completely "stack" multiple fellowships.

My school is similar to yours, except we can go up to 25% of the value over our internal funding.

There's no way my school is letting me stack an internal fellowship for 30k and an external fellowship for 30k, however.

I've been hearing nasty rumors that the budget situation is going to do a number on the GRFs. Either the decisions will be made (i.e. applications ranked) and they won't have a budget so they won't be able to disburse money, or they won't have money to award...

Or the number of GRFs will be drastically decrease.

Can anyone contradict these rumors? (Please?)

I've been hearing nasty rumors that the budget situation is going to do a number on the GRFs. Either the decisions will be made (i.e. applications ranked) and they won't have a budget so they won't be able to disburse money, or they won't have money to award...

Or the number of GRFs will be drastically decrease.

Can anyone contradict these rumors? (Please?)

They're probably do like the did in 2009. (see more info on the GRFP forum here from 2009)

http://blogs.asee.org/fellowships/2009/04/10/nsf-grfp-awards-announced/

But really, until the budget passes and we get out of the Continuing Resolution nonsense, this budget (pg MPS- 5) is up in the air.

http://www.nsf.gov/about/budget/fy2011/pdf/09-MPS_fy2011.pdf

But really, until the budget passes and we get out of the Continuing Resolution nonsense, this budget (pg MPS- 5) is up in the air.

http://www.nsf.gov/a...-MPS_fy2011.pdf

However, I highly doubt there will be "drastic" cuts, but I think this year we don't have ARRA$. Look though the FastLane awards:

2010 - 2051 awards (sup'ed up by the ARRA that year, see pdf above, dang shoulda applied last year!)

2009 - 1248 awards

2008 - 913 awards

2007 - 920 awards

2006- 909 awards

2005 - 1024 awards

2004 - 1020 awards

2003 - 900 awards

2002 - 900 awards

2001 - 903 awards

2000 - 850 awards

1999 - 900 awards

1998 - 894 awards

1997 - 992 awards

1996 - 891 awards (and note that this was the year of aftermath budget crisis from the federal shutdown in 1995/early 1996. seemed to come out alright!)

1995 - 830 awards

1994 - 1093 awards

1993 - 904 awards

1992 - 898 awards

Edited by kkompiles

However, I highly doubt there will be "drastic" cuts, but I think this year we don't have ARRA$. Look though the FastLane awards:

2010 - 2051 awards (sup'ed up by the ARRA that year, see pdf above, dang shoulda applied last year!)

2009 - 1248 awards

2008 - 913 awards

Yeah, I should've applied last year too.

*devious thoughts* However...suppose there is a return to 2008 numbers. The number of people who got NSF last year, who would not have without ARRA, is around 1,000. These people are out of the applicant pool. Some would have aged out anyway, and some wouldn't have bothered to reapply...but that's probably at least 500 of the strongest applications that are no longer in the pool.

(Not that this helps me; I'm still a pre-grad. Most of my competition wasn't eligible last year. The dilution effect will only apply to current first/second year grads.)

As Krypton said, if you have external funding, you won't be getting internal funding as well. Since external funding is usually way higher.... It works out.

It depends to some extent on the program- my program allows for funding to 125% of the level of the highest departmental fellowship.... Also, even if the tuition waiver from the external fellowship won't completely cover your tuition, most universities will keep you on a full tuition waiver.

Does internal funding refer to like Research Assistantship and Teaching Assistantship and external funding refer to like NSF and Hertz?

Does internal funding refer to like Research Assistantship and Teaching Assistantship and external funding refer to like NSF and Hertz?

Yes. In general, internal funding comes from your school, external comes from, well, external sources.

What exactly is the fellowship money used for? Is it used to fund your research project or can it be used for anything? Let's say if the total amount of fellowship money awarded exceeds the cost of attendance of a school and someone gets extra fellowship money afterwards, are they allowed to use the extra money to let say pay off their undergraduate student loan debt or something?

EDIT: Just like how in undergraduate education how your total financial aid package cannot exceed the total cost of attendance, do graduate schools have this policy with fellowships and teaching assistantships? I keep on hearing how some programs can't let you exceed 100% of the cost of attendance while some programs offer a "grace threshold" of 110% of the cost of attendance and 125% of the cost of attendance.

Edited by chaospaladin

Generally, both assistantships and fellowships have two parts- the tuition waiver (pays your tuition) and a stipend (salary), ranging from 10k-30k per year. The stipend can be used for whatever you want, and you pay taxes on it.

I've never heard of anywhere doing figures based on "cost of attendance", but that's just me.

Edited by Eigen