Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

Hi mates! Good to see some fellow future Tar Heels. I won't be able to make it in March, a little inconvenient that it starts in the middle of the week. From what I've heard, the 3 years of funding is almost always renewable and students have a good record of getting funding.

See you this Fall!

Hey there,

I also got into UNC - hi..

I am a little nervous about the funding package - 3 years doesnt seem like much. Will you guys be going on the March 17 weekend?

Don't forget about the Inter-University Doctoral Consortium between Princeton, Columbia, NYU, and Rutgers. If you get accepted into one of these schools its like you get accepted to all of these schools. Hope this eases some anxiety. All you need is 1!

Good point. If anyone wants more info about this (at least from the NYU side of things), see http://gsas.nyu.edu/page/grad.scholarlyprograms.interuniversitydoctoralconsortium.html

I heard from a friend that Harvard's done with punishments! 6 out of 220 has been admitted.........

Hey persiandoc!!!

Hope all is well with you and that the stress levels are not too bad :-)

Does this mean that Harvard have contacted all the successful applicants? and does this include med anthro?

Thanks for keeping us up to date!!!

Yea got the rejection letter yesterday. I'm upset, but nothing I can do about it now.

"A decision has been made. Your program of application will inform you of the decision."

-Michigan

Well, That's not very promising. Letter on the way and no email? I'm not sure why, because everyone I've talked to who's gotten in was less qualified than me.

Has anyone contacted Stanford about where things officially stand with acceptances/rejections?

I emailed them today, waiting to hear back from them and UNM, but I got into Purdue, so success!

The Stanford website says that all applicants will be informed before the 28th of this month. Personally, I'd like to know sooner than that. Right now would be nice.

Thanks for the info-- let me know if you hear anything back from them. CONGRATS on Purdue, that's fantastic!!

I emailed them today, waiting to hear back from them and UNM, but I got into Purdue, so success!

The Stanford website says that all applicants will be informed before the 28th of this month. Personally, I'd like to know sooner than that. Right now would be nice.

I've been sort of lurking, but I saw a couple of people asking about ASU. I'm definitely sorry to share what I think might not be great news, but it's probably better than waiting. I got admitted to physical anthropology and got called last Monday. They sent me my official letter and a fellowship offer via email this week, along with information about their recruiting weekend for all the anthro admits, which is March 3rd. I got the impression multiple programs had made decisions, but it's possible I'm off base with that. Also, I got admitted to OSU, but that's a little less clear - I got an acceptance letter from the graduate admissions officer of the college on Wednesday, but I haven't heard anything from the department, including info about funding. Also, to the person waiting to hear about UNM, I know EvAnth has gotten in touch with their accepted candidates, but I don't know about the other programs. :)

I know everyone here is waiting, and I'm rooting for everyone! Here's hoping we'll all end up someplace that's a good fit for us!

Edited by lepisostidae

Hello everyone,

Has anyone heard back from UPenn? I saw that someone posted in the Results section that they received a rejection after contacting the department. Can someone provide more info on the subfield and more about what the email said? PM if you'd like. Thanks in advance.

Best wishes to all!

Hi,

I posted my UPenn rejection in the results section. I was told that they only accepted two applicants for cultural anthropology and that they haven't sent out notifications yet. That's all I know.

Hope that helps!

Hi Irishscientist,

I hate to be the bearer of the bad news. Yet, I guess we'd better face the truth. I spoke with a Harvard's admit and they got the impression that all admits had been communicated by the department already. We have the same status by now. You're not at all alone and I do sympathize with you. We both have a wait list plus interviews. Fingers crossed we could get in one at least. Did you find out where you stand in Chicago's waiting list? Any news from your UCB/UCSF? I told you from the very beginning, you'd get in both UCB/UCSF and MIT. If you don't believe in me, wait and see!

cheers,

WOW, let's rock on! Congrats on your Purdue acceptance. Now you can look forward to Stanford in serenity. Just sleep on your Purdue acceptance until you hear from Stanford. Don't forget us, the puny hopeful mortals with no definite acceptance yet!

Hi Irishscientist,

I hate to be the bearer of the bad news. Yet, I guess we'd better face the truth. I spoke with a Harvard's admit and they got the impression that all admits had been communicated by the department already. We have the same status by now. You're not at all alone and I do sympathize with you. We both have a wait list plus interviews. Fingers crossed we could get in one at least. Did you find out where you stand in Chicago's waiting list? Any news from your UCB/UCSF? I told you from the very beginning, you'd get in both UCB/UCSF and MIT. If you don't believe in me, wait and see!

cheers,

thanks persiandoc. You are probably right. We probably would have heard something by now from harvard.

RE: Berkeley, I havent heard anything either. Not sure if the med anthros are being informed separately, as the cultural acceptances were sent out last week. Last bit of hope....

I dont know what place I am in the chicago wait list; ill probably email them this week to try find out.

How come Yale will notify people on March 15! It's too late! I thought that we would hear back from them next week latest... Anyway, fingers crossed though I am not very hopeful...

Edited by moraurora

Hey All,

I saw others commenting about Stanford- and I am still a little confused as to where/what they are doing too. It seems that no one here, except one poster, wrote that they heard from stanford. And that poster said it was " a friend". Just saying, seems like stuff with them is still really ambiguous, don't you think?

In other news, I got into UCLA! woop!

Agreed. Stanford remains the most ambiguous of all my schools. I'm not confident about my chances, since I think my argument about "fit" was a bit of a stretch, but I'd like some definite word from them!

Congratulations on UCLA! What a great program.

Hey All,

I saw others commenting about Stanford- and I am still a little confused as to where/what they are doing too. It seems that no one here, except one poster, wrote that they heard from stanford. And that poster said it was " a friend". Just saying, seems like stuff with them is still really ambiguous, don't you think?

In other news, I got into UCLA! woop!

Hey, Ya - Stanford was really hard to even speak to anyone before I applied. So I am not surprised that this end is ambiguous as well!

I am psyched about UCLA, not so sure about LA as a place though. Well see....

Lets hope good news comes for someone from Stanford soon....im sending good thought out for you.

Michigan was a sad harsh rejection, i must say....

S

Agreed. Stanford remains the most ambiguous of all my schools. I'm not confident about my chances, since I think my argument about "fit" was a bit of a stretch, but I'd like some definite word from them!

Congratulations on UCLA! What a great program.

I just wanted to write and let anyone who is applying to Chicago or anyone who has gotten in that they can feel free to contact me with questions about Hyde Park and life in Chicago. I'm an undergrad at Uchicago and have had a lot of contact with the anthro grad students here (seriously, they just embed themselves in the undergrad population and yet are so distinct from us, its weird). So please Private Message me if anything comes up and you want a quick reply.

All the Best!

Congrats to everyone on their admissions to various programs as well as receiving interviews at really competitive places!

Does anyone know if no interview at Northwestern means rejection? Do they admit sociocultural students without interviewing them first?

Has anyone heard from JHU or Columbia?

Well, I applied to both ASU and OSU, so I guess now I can focus my energy on other applications...

I've been sort of lurking, but I saw a couple of people asking about ASU. I'm definitely sorry to share what I think might not be great news, but it's probably better than waiting. I got admitted to physical anthropology and got called last Monday. They sent me my official letter and a fellowship offer via email this week, along with information about their recruiting weekend for all the anthro admits, which is March 3rd. I got the impression multiple programs had made decisions, but it's possible I'm off base with that. Also, I got admitted to OSU, but that's a little less clear - I got an acceptance letter from the graduate admissions officer of the college on Wednesday, but I haven't heard anything from the department, including info about funding. Also, to the person waiting to hear about UNM, I know EvAnth has gotten in touch with their accepted candidates, but I don't know about the other programs. :)

I know everyone here is waiting, and I'm rooting for everyone! Here's hoping we'll all end up someplace that's a good fit for us!

Thanks for the info lepisostidae. I guess it isn't the end of the world, but at the moment it sure feels like it. Still, a tiny part of me still clings to hope.