Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

Oh darling,

we'll definitely meet up if I can get visa and end up there. I'll also give you a good treat at a luxurious restaurant,

We'll certainly get in touch via emails,

Nope, no news. I'm really not expecting to hear anything by way of acceptance. It's okay though! I'll come visit you when I visit my BF. We can have martinis after all! haha. Good luck with Yale. I'd imagine you'd get in, considering you've been admitted/waitlisted by arguably the top anthro programs in the US for the work you want to do.

Hey friends,

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just got up in the morning and straight went to check my emails hopelessly. Guess what I got? I got admitted by NYU. (YIPPIE).................................... Let's party guys!

I got another email from CUNY too. I've been again waitlisted by CUNY and I'm gonna decline it very soon. Any other admits from NYU or any waitlists from CUNY?

Congrats on BU, UNM and other new acceptances! I think I'm gonna wait for Yale too,

cheers,

As I was reading this Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' started ringing in my ears. Persiandoc you made it! I am very, very happy for you. Now you're inn and can wait until that acceptance letter from Yale comes inn. I am sure there was an earthquake on your side of the globe, as a massive weight dropped off your shoulders.

Send you all joy, celebrate!!!!!

S.

Habibi,

Yes indeed! Thanks a lot for your lovely words. How about you? Did you hear from NYU? I wish we could meet up in person before we start grad studies. I'm likely to make it to Syria, Turkey and India sometime after Nowrooz. Have you ever been to Iran? You're most welcome to stay with us if you ever want to come.

Fingers crossed you'd get in NYU too. We could work on Mid East with our mutual friend there, Did you hear from Columbia or CUNY?

As I was reading this Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' started ringing in my ears. Persiandoc you made it! I am very, very happy for you. Now you're inn and can wait until that acceptance letter from Yale comes inn. I am sure there was an earthquake on your side of the globe, as a massive weight dropped off your shoulders.

Send you all joy, celebrate!!!!!

S.

Habibi,

Yes indeed! Thanks a lot for your lovely words. How about you? Did you hear from NYU? I wish we could meet up in person before we start grad studies. I'm likely to make it to Syria, Turkey and India sometime after Nowrooz. Have you ever been to Iran? You're most welcome to stay with us if you ever want to come.

Fingers crossed you'd get in NYU too. We could work on Mid East with our mutual friend there, Did you hear from Columbia or CUNY?

You're wonderful! We will meet up, latest when we're in the US. Sadly never made it to Iran, but it's very high up on my list. I used to live in Syria some years back. Let me know if you need any travel advice friends, contacts there. Obviously you have a home wherever I have one. Nothing from either CUNY or Columbia. And nothing from NYU. I applied to the Faye Ginsburg's program, so there's hope that that has a different deadline.

I normally don't write POI's. I am superstitious on that one and think I might jinx it, but for NYU, I just might.

Congrats. Your news is making me a lot more nervous now though.

It seems your POI decided to break the silence.

When is their recruiting weekend? What's the purpose of the recruiting weekend when they introduced us to everyone relevant at our interview dates (for those of us interviewed).

Edited by PhysAnthApp

What is Faye's program? I'm totally ignorant about it, however, she is one of my favorite scholars there where it comes to her previous work on ARTs and feminist anthro. I think you're into her media and film anthro work, aren't you? Don't accept your offer from Davis and make it to Rutgers or Duke hopefully,

I've got scores of Syrian and Lebanese friends. A lot of them used to get in my med school to do their MDs. Unlike the always reserved and aloof Yemeni friends, the Syrian and Lebanese always rock. My Harvard's anthro friend always goes to the Syrian and Lebanese club there. Do you know O.D. from Harvard's medanthro? I've contacted him many times but never heard back from him. I also wanted one of the Yale's academics to put me in touch with him and he didn't reply either. I like his work,

I'm also planning to improve my knowledge of colloquial arabic in the next six months. My favorite dialect and accent is that of Sham,

You're wonderful! We will meet up, latest when we're in the US. Sadly never made it to Iran, but it's very high up on my list. I used to live in Syria some years back. Let me know if you need any travel advice friends, contacts there. Obviously you have a home wherever I have one. Nothing from either CUNY or Columbia. And nothing from NYU. I applied to the Faye Ginsburg's program, so there's hope that that has a different deadline.

I normally don't write POI's. I am superstitious on that one and think I might jinx it, but for NYU, I just might.

On 2/22/2011 at 11:08 PM, persiandoc said:

Hi new mexico,

thanks for your staying and supporting me emotionally from the very beginning of this tormenting waiting process. You know! I'M IN, I'M IN. another waitlist from CUNY but I'm in my second choice NYU, wahoooooooooooooo! la la la la la la la,

I really forgot where you got in. I'd love to see you if I can succeed with my visa issuance as well and end up in NYC,

keep in touch

Wahoo!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!! That's so exciting, and I'm so happy for you. Please keep us posted if you hear anything else or if you get off a wait-list!

I was accepted to UNM (phd anthro), Brown (mph), Columbia (mph), Emory (mdiv), and Oxford (mphil).

I'm still waiting on WashU (phd anthro) and Boston University (mdiv).

please keep your fingers crossed for me!

all the best,

NM :)

Hi mate,

Thanks for sharing my joy! You have a lot of offers. Which one is your choice? I'd imagine that's WashU, isn't that? I'll be rooting for you anyways! I'm already quite positive you'd get in because you already have a lot of offers from top programs and I bet you have a strong and impressive application. Do you wanna pursue in medicine? I'm also an MD. I'd love to exchange thoughts with you and keep in touch on a long term basis. You're really a good pal,

Keep us updated anyways!

Hi Distant Wizard,

any words from NYU? or Duke? Can you tell me about Princeton's stipend details? NYU has offered me 24k for 5 ys, plus the possibility of TAship from the second year to earn some extra money.

cheers,

Congrats Persiandoc! You have been delivered the great gift of a spot at NYU! I haven't heard from Duke or NYU and am taking that as two rejections. My stipend at Princeton is 26,785 for five years and I got 3,000 for each of my first two years. I don't think there's much of a teaching requirement there that I'd have to fulfill. In any case, I'm so happy for you! The waiting is over and you got one hell of a deal! Did you hear from a POI or was there an official email?

Edited by Distant Wizard

Congrats Persiandoc! You have been delivered the great gift of a spot at NYU! I haven't heard from Duke or NYU and am taking that as two rejections. My stipend at Princeton is 26,785 for five years and I got 3,000 for each of my first two years. I don't think there's much of a teaching requirement there that I'd have to fulfill. In any case, I'm so happy for you! The waiting is over and you got one hell of a deal! Did you hear from a POI or was there an official email?

Haven't heard from Duke neither... I guess you're right: it sounds like a coming rejection... Congrats on Princeton, great program !

Hey guys!

First time posting...but I'm just wondering if anyone out there has heard anything from the Texas State forensic anthro department. I know their admissions system changed and it took a while for the packets to be completed, but any info would be helpful. I know it's not exactly a huge popular program....but maybe someone out there has also applied?

I know how you feel. I think I may be the only person around this forum that applied to Texas A&M. From what I can tell it looks like the whole of Texas programs are going to send notifications in early to mid March. A&M told me final decisions will be made by the 1st with notifications going out shortly after. Just continuing to play the excruciating waiting game. Hope this helps and good luck!

I'll definitely keep everyone updated! Thanks for the extremely kind words, persiandoc! That's awesome you are an MD! I DO want to pursue medicine too! We'll definitely have to keep in touch! When you decide on a program, please send me your email so we can keep in touch!!

all the best!

Hey friends,

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just got up in the morning and straight went to check my emails hopelessly. Guess what I got? I got admitted by NYU. (YIPPIE).................................... Let's party guys!

I got another email from CUNY too. I've been again waitlisted by CUNY and I'm gonna decline it very soon. Any other admits from NYU or any waitlists from CUNY?

Congrats on BU, UNM and other new acceptances! I think I'm gonna wait for Yale too,

cheers,

Congratulations Persiandoc!!! This is wonderful news!

Hi eok925-

Don't worry about nit-pickiness! We're all equally anxouis and starving for news. I can confirm that WUSTL has already made all offers of admission (at least for Cultural). I was contacted in late January for a phone interview with a few faculty members (I'm currently living outside of the USA). I was contacted again for a second phone interview, which ended up being a very informal chat with my POI. A few days ago, my POI e-mailed me to let me know that they had their faculty meeting and did NOT have a space for me at WashU this year. Bummer. Although it wasn't an "official" letter from the graduate school or anything, it's pretty official in my mind.

Best wishes.

On 2/22/2011 at 10:20 PM, eok925 said:

Hey there, '

I was wondering if anyone who'd interviewed/been rejected/accepted at Wash U could comment. Has it all been personal contact with your POI or what? Has anyone gotten an official letter--email, post--or has everything been personal, "unofficial" contact?

Ugh, sorry for posting something so nitpicky. Just hoping for some good news (aren't we all?!).

I am not sure about UCSC rejections....i applied there and havent heard a word....

UCSC rejections are out, and very to the point. They were honest about not having funding for internationals when I visited; still a little surprised (good fit, positive meetings with 2 faculty).

Best of luck to you as well! I called the department last Tuesday, and they said decisions would be made early next (aka this) week.

Hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later.

Good to know, thanks for the info :) . You are going for the med anthro program too, right? Did you apply for the concurrent Ph.d/MPH?

Good to know, thanks for the info :) . You are going for the med anthro program too, right? Did you apply for the concurrent Ph.d/MPH?

You're welcome :). I did apply for med anthro, but I did not apply to the concurrent PhD/MPH; however, I would be interested in doing that after my first or second year. The Brown MPH program is really tempting me at the moment though...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread but I also applied to the anthro. program at Rutgers and was interviewed during the first week of February. I've read that some of you were also interviewed during the same time and some have been admitted already. I have not been contacted since and I have a feeling that I probably did not make it, I have not heard back from them since.....it's horrible !

The interview lasted a bit less than 15 mins. and it was not good, but not bad either.....I know its useless now but I keep wondering what question I answered incorrectly or at which point in those 15 mins. I screwed up.

Who has been interviewed, and accepted? waitlisted?

I know I just have to wait it out, although the director told me I'd be hearing back from the "very soon"....huh? (it's been more than 2 weeks.....)

Greetings to all from Berlin.