2011 Applications

NadaJ

Admitted to NYU and rejected from George Mason on the same day. $10,500 scholarship from NYU seems like a pretty solid offer coming from them, but I'm interested in how that compares with what others are seeing.

I know Masters programs are thought of as cash cows for larger universities, but I'm feeling a little confused by my admittances/rejections -- and definitely glad I didn't count on any "safety schools," since it seems I'm not being admitted to schools I felt were sure bets. I don't think I slacked off on my applications to Temple and GMU, so maybe it had something to do with their decision-making processes/GPA cutoffs/etc.

Did they say why you were rejected from GMU? I'm from the area and George Mason's rep isn't that well known so I am surprised you got into bigger name schools and not there. That is crazy!

But congrats on the other programs you were accepted into!!

Did they say why you were rejected from GMU? I'm from the area and George Mason's rep isn't that well known so I am surprised you got into bigger name schools and not there. That is crazy!

But congrats on the other programs you were accepted into!!

Nope, it was a pretty standard "Thanks for applying" letter. I did notice that their website lists a "3.0 for the last 60 credit hours" requirement, which I didn't meet, but I had compelling reasons, tons of professional and volunteer experience, and great recommendations... so I guess I thought that would offset. A similar thing happened at Temple. GMU was probably my last choice (more interested in urban issues, no Ph.D. program), but I'm hoping that VCU comes through so I'll have at least one in-state option when I'm considering the financial side of things. :)

Per an email from Fooks/UCLA Admissions (in reply to an email I wrote him):

"I’m sure this is a stressful time trying to plan and having to wait to hear from programs you’ve applied to. I believe there will be final decisions made by Monday April 11th. I will follow up with you on Monday afternoon. I’ll make an inquiry with the admissions committee about when they will send out notices."

Hope that helps...

Per an email from Fooks/UCLA Admissions (in reply to an email I wrote him):

"I’m sure this is a stressful time trying to plan and having to wait to hear from programs you’ve applied to. I believe there will be final decisions made by Monday April 11th. I will follow up with you on Monday afternoon. I’ll make an inquiry with the admissions committee about when they will send out notices."

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the info! It's actually good to know the waiting will end soon to know one way or another....

Wow! Congrats! How is your tuition so cheap though?

Its a public university, therefore it has a cheaper tuition. Overall for a two year program it will be 16k. Not including living expenses! I will be sending in my letter of intent next week. It beats 80k in JUST tuition at USC. Thanks for everyone listening and putting up with my schenanigans! :) Best of luck to EVERYONE!

NYU: Accepted with $10,500 in tuition assistance (Tuition: ~$36,000/year)

Smith: Accepted with $17,000 in tuition assistance (Tuition: ~$20,000/year)

Bryn Mawr: Have not heard yet

Maryland: Have not heard yet

I'm 95% sure I'm going to Smith. I love their program. Even with the generous offer from NYU, I can't beat the lower cost of attendance for an equitable program at Smith. Even if Maryland comes through with In-State tuition, the price tag for Smith will be the best option. I also love their strengths on clinical SW, women, race, and and veteran's services.

Heard back from Bryn Mawr today...I got in!smile.gif

Received an envelope today via USPS priority service postmarked the 8th of April (last Friday).

No word on the financial aid package yet...should receive it hopefully before the 25th of April, the day in which a decision of pending enrollment should be made.

Hopefully everyone else who has applied hears back today or later this week. All the best guys!

Heard back from Bryn Mawr today...I got in!smile.gif

Received an envelope today via USPS priority service postmarked the 8th of April (last Friday).

No word on the financial aid package yet...should receive it hopefully before the 25th of April, the day in which a decision of pending enrollment should be made.

Hopefully everyone else who has applied hears back today or later this week. All the best guys!

Congratulations! When did you apply? I'm waiting anxiously.

I got accepted to Cal State Fullerton!!!!! I am going to accept their offer!!! <3 4k a semester! WINNING!

Hey Devyn congrats on Fullerton! I was also accepted there! So far it's the only school I've heard from so it looks like that's where I'm headed! Have you received your financial aid award yet?

Has anyone received a financial aid package from UCLA yet? I haven't heard a peep and I'm a little worried because they want us to commit by Friday...

I have not heard anything about financial aid. I emailed Mr. Fooks after being accepted a few weeks ago and he said that he "will be in contact with admitted students about financial aid options soon," which tells me absolutely nothing. My guess is that acceptances are still rolling out and that financial aid isn't even on their radar yet. It's more than a little frustrating since they've had 4 months to get all this in order.

Been lurking for a while on these boards... Received my acceptance for CSUF on Saturday! Also applied to CSUDH (which I haven't heard back from yet, and CSULB (rejected, reused my application from last year, probably should have improved it a bit :). Looks like i'll be joining Tinaa, Devyn, and Feisty as a Titan!

Been lurking for a while on these boards... Received my acceptance for CSUF on Saturday! Also applied to CSUDH (which I haven't heard back from yet, and CSULB (rejected, reused my application from last year, probably should have improved it a bit :). Looks like i'll be joining Tinaa, Devyn, and Feisty as a Titan!

Congrats! I'm still waiting to hear back from SDSU and CSUSB. Are you going for the full-time program at CSUF?

Did anyone still waiting hear anything from UCLA? Lance Fooks also told me we would hear today (Monday) and not to worry about the admitted students day as it had no bearing on acceptances, as the committee are behind on their decisions. And still, nothing...

Edited by jenmsw

Hey Devyn congrats on Fullerton! I was also accepted there! So far it's the only school I've heard from so it looks like that's where I'm headed! Have you received your financial aid award yet?

I haven't heard about the financial aid, I dont think they send it out until Mid May.... I am so excited! I know alot of people going into that program! We should have a good class! what your concentration?

<3 aaaa wwwoo hooo!!!! <3 Everyone going to orientation on June 3?

I haven't heard about the financial aid, I dont think they send it out until Mid May.... I am so excited! I know alot of people going into that program! We should have a good class! what your concentration?

I'm doing the community mental health concentration. You?