DAAD scholarships Fall 2023

JammyJam2020

6 hours ago, dylanonmous said:

I applied for the Master's in All Academic Disciplines not too long before the deadline in November, out of the US. The acknowledgement of receipt letter said that they'd be meeting in April, and my page still says "Initial Funding" and "Application submitted". The original page for the scholarship says selection in February, though, so I'm getting nervous enough to find forums like this anyways!

Yeah, that is weird. This page says that the selection date is February 2023 for the US. The USA DAAD page says that the results will be announced at the beginning of April 2023. And the confirmation receipt that I got says that the selection meeting will take place in April, and we'll find out the results 3 weeks later. I wish there was a bit of consistency here. Mid-End of April is most likely when we'll here back. That matches up with timelines from the previous years. 

12 hours ago, JammyJam2020 said:

Yeah, that is weird. This page says that the selection date is February 2023 for the US. The USA DAAD page says that the results will be announced at the beginning of April 2023. And the confirmation receipt that I got says that the selection meeting will take place in April, and we'll find out the results 3 weeks later. I wish there was a bit of consistency here. Mid-End of April is most likely when we'll here back. That matches up with timelines from the previous years. 

Yeah, it looked that way when I checked last year's thread. It's frustrating because that's awfully close to when I'll need to actually start planning my move, but at the same time I'm happy I didn't go into a refreshing frenzy before I checked.

This is my first time applying, and I've felt *reasonably* good about my chances (good GPA, undergrad research and current working position in my field, what I feel was a strong motivation letter) but I haven't been able to gauge just how picky they are.

Question for anyone who may know: if I get rejected this year but still apply, get accepted, and enroll in my program, getting my student visa/residence permit with a Sperrkonto/blocked account, am I still able to apply again to get funding for just the second year? I very nearly have the 11.2K required already saved up, but saving the funds for the second year before moving depends is less certain (I have a balls in the air that could make it happen, but my wages alone won't come close). I can probably save up the difference from doing some side work while I'm in Germany during the first year, but after working full time through my whole B.S. program, I'm really hoping I can just focus fully on my studies for this, especially with all the distractions that will come with living in another country even without having to work.

37 minutes ago, dylanonmous said:

Yeah, it looked that way when I checked last year's thread. It's frustrating because that's awfully close to when I'll need to actually start planning my move, but at the same time I'm happy I didn't go into a refreshing frenzy before I checked.

This is my first time applying, and I've felt *reasonably* good about my chances (good GPA, undergrad research and current working position in my field, what I feel was a strong motivation letter) but I haven't been able to gauge just how picky they are.

Question for anyone who may know: if I get rejected this year but still apply, get accepted, and enroll in my program, getting my student visa/residence permit with a Sperrkonto/blocked account, am I still able to apply again to get funding for just the second year? I very nearly have the 11.2K required already saved up, but saving the funds for the second year before moving depends is less certain (I have a balls in the air that could make it happen, but my wages alone won't come close). I can probably save up the difference from doing some side work while I'm in Germany during the first year, but after working full time through my whole B.S. program, I'm really hoping I can just focus fully on my studies for this, especially with all the distractions that will come with living in another country even without having to work.

So unfortunately, I believe they changed how the funding works as of this year. Most likely due to the budget cuts. You can only apply for funding before you begin a master's program in Germany. They changed that rule mid-cycle and a lot of people who were applying in their second year became in-eligible during this cycle which was kind of scummy tbh. 

So yeah, as far as I know, if you don't get funding, you can either delay your program and apply next year or start anyway and become in-eligible for year 2. 

My program is in a low-cost of living city, and I'll have 12K saved up by the time in starts. So, I could realistically fund my 1st year and then I might do a mini job and apply for local scholarships like the Deutschlandstupendium if DAAD doesn't work out. If you're in a place like Berlin, Köln, or München though then that's a bit riskier. 

What's your target program/city? 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:05 PM, A.Ali1 said:

Current status selection made without any changing on funding period, so I'm freaking out ?

Hi, from which country did you apply to and which funding? Your name sounds Turkish hence I was curious, thanks :)

22 hours ago, JammyJam2020 said:

So unfortunately, I believe they changed how the funding works as of this year. Most likely due to the budget cuts. You can only apply for funding before you begin a master's program in Germany. They changed that rule mid-cycle and a lot of people who were applying in their second year became in-eligible during this cycle which was kind of scummy tbh. 

So yeah, as far as I know, if you don't get funding, you can either delay your program and apply next year or start anyway and become in-eligible for year 2. 

My program is in a low-cost of living city, and I'll have 12K saved up by the time in starts. So, I could realistically fund my 1st year and then I might do a mini job and apply for local scholarships like the Deutschlandstupendium if DAAD doesn't work out. If you're in a place like Berlin, Köln, or München though then that's a bit riskier. 

What's your target program/city? 

OEP Biology at Uni Bonn. Was originally shooting for Humboldt in Berlin, but everything about the program at Uni Bonn seems way more my speed and I was pretty nervous about the housing situation in Berlin, even if it's a more exciting city.

My understanding that Bonn isn't quite *low* cost of living (it is <1 hour on transit to Köln, after all) but a bit lower pressure than places like Berlin, or especially München or Hamburg.

Thankfully, I'm hopeful that even though it's possible I won't have the full amount saved before I'll be leaving my job to prepare for moving, I'll be able to narrow the gap quite a bit. So, if nothing else, I won't have to stress about saving the full 11K+ in that year.

Still obviously hoping for the DAAD to make all of these contingencies unnecessary so I can just get a nice studio close to uni for me and my cat without living the most frugal possible student life ?

I was placed in the reserve list on 17/2 , however my funding dates have changed since then . I replied to them that i want to uphold my application and after that they told me that it will take up to the summer to hear from them on the final decision.

Is there any chances ??

Hi everyone. I applied for Doctoral grants, PhD studies. My status has been 'selection made' for quite some time. Has anyone applied for the same within East African region? Has anyone received an invitation for interview. I have not  heard from DAAD, however, last week a friend of mine had her status change to 'application rejected'

Edited by werena

On 3/5/2023 at 3:15 AM, werena said:

Hi everyone. I applied for Doctoral grants, PhD studies. My status has been 'selection made' for quite some time. Has anyone applied for the same within East African region? Has anyone received an invitation for interview. I have not  heard from DAAD, however, last week a friend of mine had her status change to 'application rejected'

Hello, Werena.
We're both in the same boat. I applied through the DAAD Kenya office, and my status has been "selection made" for some time now. Concerning the interview? Do you mean the first or second round of interviews? On January 12th, I was interviewed.

Hey guys,

So I found something interesting while searching on LinkedIn today. There was a post from the German Center for Research and Innovation in New York regarding their participation in the DAAD selection committee for 2023-2024. I've included a screenshot below. 

The exact date isn't precise but it looks like this post was made about a month ago. If the North American committee already met in February, then there's a chance that we could get our decisions sooner. I'm not holding my breath on it though haha. 

DAAD.PNG

On 3/5/2023 at 6:15 AM, werena said:

Hi Warena I am from Kenya. I applied for a DAAD EPOS PhD scholarship, was shortlisted and interviewed on February 13th, and received a response from the university on Monday, March 6th, stating that I was one of four candidates to whom they would like to offer a scholarship in their doctoral program. I was contacted right away by the DAAD scholarship team, who asked me to register in their portal and upload the same documents I used for my application. I did so, and I am now awaiting their final decision. All best in your application.

On 3/6/2023 at 1:55 PM, Abbie89 said:

Hello, Werena.
We're both in the same boat. I applied through the DAAD Kenya office, and my status has been "selection made" for some time now. Concerning the interview? Do you mean the first or second round of interviews? On January 12th, I was interviewed.

Hi Abbie89,

I am also a Kenyan. I applied for the DAAD EPOS PhD scholarship, which required an application through specific universities website. I was interviewed on February 13th, and on March 6th, the university notified me that I was one of four candidates chosen to receive a scholarship for their doctoral program. They also stated that a coordinator from the DAAD office would contact me and nominate me for the scholarship, which happened immediately. The DAAD coordinator then requested that I upload the same application documents that I used for the EPOS scholarship application, and I am currently awaiting their final communication.

2 minutes ago, Wambura said:

Hi Abbie89,

I am also a Kenyan. I applied for the DAAD EPOS PhD scholarship, which required an application through specific universities website. I was interviewed on February 13th, and on March 6th, the university notified me that I was one of four candidates chosen to receive a scholarship for their doctoral program. They also stated that a coordinator from the DAAD office would contact me and nominate me for the scholarship, which happened immediately. The DAAD coordinator then requested that I upload the same application documents that I used for the EPOS scholarship application, and I am currently awaiting their final communication.

Wambura, I wish you the best. You're nearly there. What is the current status in your DAAD portal?

14 minutes ago, Abbie89 said:

Wambura, I wish you the best. You're nearly there. What is the current status in your DAAD portal?

My current status reads "Selection made" I can't really tell how my status has changed over time since for the scholarship I applied for (EPOS) application was made directly to the university, so I only registered to the DAAD portal when I was prompted to do so by a coordinator from DAAD scholarship team.

23 minutes ago, Abbie89 said:

Congratulations on being interviewed, Abbie89, and best of luck with your application.