Anyone heard from UCLA?

educ2011

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything either. Like the other poster said, it looks like they start contacting people in early February. I applied to the Psych. Studies in Education Ph.D.

I also applied to Psych studies in Education Ph.D. Good luck!

I also applied to Psych studies in Education Ph.D. Good luck!

Same to you! Do you know where to check the status of your application? I only knew that mine was complete because someone from the department emailed me. However, it doesn't look like the Education department uses the UCLA Graduate division site (https://www.gradadmi...ssionStatus.asp) to update the status of applications in terms of whether we were accepted or not. I was wondering if there might be another place to check.

Edited by CogEdPsych11

I haven't heard from them yet, but I checked the results thread from last year, and it seems like folks began to hear around Feb 9th or so.

Which program did you apply to? I applied to the PhD in Urban Schooling.

Good luck all!

I applied to the Psych studies in Education Ph.D. Which professor did people want to work with?

I applied for the Urban Schooling PhD and have yet to hear. I tried to check my status online but only saw that my application materials had been submitted. I also received an email saying that my application in under review.

When did you receive the email about your application being under review? Since I didn't get one, wonder if that means i'm out....??

I didn't receive an e-mail either, but I did call in awhile ago and they did inform me that my application was under review.

I applied to HEOC, the M.A. though, not the Ph.D. I do plan on going for the Ph.D. if I get in however.

I'm graduating from UCLA this quarter, and only decided to apply in mid November (my T.A. convinced me to go for it). I am dying in wait since it is the only school I had time to apply too.

What sort of numbers did you guys apply with? I know from my experience within the department that numbers aren't a huge deal (they really care about your statement), but I am still worried about mine. I got only 480v/580q 4.5 writing on the GRE. I took it within 4 days of deciding to apply =\ My GPA will be about 3.85 when I graduate though, including 4.0 within the education department.

Anyways, hope we all get in! :D

Edited by hijynx54

When did you receive the email about your application being under review? Since I didn't get one, wonder if that means i'm out....??

I received a canned email from the department about a month ago. That doesn't mean you are out it probably means all your materials were received and they didn't need to let you know. If you are really concerned you could probably call. Good luck to you.

I applied to HEOC, the M.A. though, not the Ph.D. I do plan on going for the Ph.D. if I get in however.

I'm graduating from UCLA this quarter, and only decided to apply in mid November (my T.A. convinced me to go for it). I am dying in wait since it is the only school I had time to apply too.

What sort of numbers did you guys apply with? I know from my experience within the department that numbers aren't a huge deal (they really care about your statement), but I am still worried about mine. I got only 480v/580q 4.5 writing on the GRE. I took it within 4 days of deciding to apply =\ My GPA will be about 3.85 when I graduate though, including 4.0 within the education department.

Anyways, hope we all get in! :D

I hope we all get in, too! I've also been told that the numbers are not a big deal (which is good since I'm a horrible test taker) but come into play when they are deciding about fellowships and what not. My GRE scores are not worth posting ;). If I don't get in I'm taking a prep course and getting them up, then reapplying. UCLA is my first choice. I went to UCLA for my EDM and had a 4.0 so hopefully that works for the committee.

I hope we all get in, too! I've also been told that the numbers are not a big deal (which is good since I'm a horrible test taker) but come into play when they are deciding about fellowships and what not. My GRE scores are not worth posting ;). If I don't get in I'm taking a prep course and getting them up, then reapplying. UCLA is my first choice. I went to UCLA for my EDM and had a 4.0 so hopefully that works for the committee.

Ya I didn't even get a chance to study for the GRE. I didn't plan on applying to grad school because I was a bit discouraged by some of the people who I met, I was told transfer students were sort of looked down upon, but I was later told it was nonsense. If I don't get in, I definitely plan to spend a good two months learning the mountain of words and brushing up on my math.

Seeing that you applied to Urban Schooling, I can tell you that they probably care the least about the GRE. I spent a lot of time with professor McLaren, he actually wrote one of my letters of recommendation, and he thinks the GRE is the most obscure test ever. He told my class numerous times that there was a box to check regarding GRE scores, and he (as well as many others apparently) always checked the box that they didn't care.

Also, I never received a letter about my application, only confirmation the night I submitted it. I don't think anyone should worry about that.

McLaren is a really cool guy, I've yet to meet a student who didn't like him.

He is super knowledgeable, and is always seemingly willing to lend that knowledge if you so ask. He does go off on tangents sometimes, so you sort of need to be sure to stay on track if it's important. The stories are usually really cool though. He use to tell us crazy stories about being in Columbia and Venezuela.

If you take his classes, he is super easy going as well. There is no stress of tests or homework, just group projects. The format allows you to relax and actually discuss everything without worrying about what to memorize. The classes usually just act as large discussion groups, so it is a lot of fun if you are into the topic at hand.

McLaren is a really cool guy, I've yet to meet a student who didn't like him.

He is super knowledgeable, and is always seemingly willing to lend that knowledge if you so ask. He does go off on tangents sometimes, so you sort of need to be sure to stay on track if it's important. The stories are usually really cool though. He use to tell us crazy stories about being in Columbia and Venezuela.

If you take his classes, he is super easy going as well. There is no stress of tests or homework, just group projects. The format allows you to relax and actually discuss everything without worrying about what to memorize. The classes usually just act as large discussion groups, so it is a lot of fun if you are into the topic at hand.

I never had a class with McLaren but he sounds like a really cool guy. One of my coworkers was talking about him the other day saying much the same as you are. Hopefully I will get to meet him if I get accepted.

I enjoy classes that are group work and discussion based far more than test/homework classes. It lends itself to collaboration and community building and that is something that every grad student should have. My master's program at UCLA followed that model and it was great.

Just saw that someone posted in the results section that they got accepted by phone today to Graduate School of Education and Information Studies PhD. They didn't say what program however.

Hearing this makes me even more nervous, lol.