It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Conversely, I have been accepted to ONE program (so far, I guess) and while I am totally excited and appreciative, I can't help feeling like they made a mistake? Like, my application was supposed to go into the REJECT pile but there was a mix up and soon they will have to tell me the truth?

I have been rejected by so many (much less prestigious) programs :(

Conversely, I have been accepted to ONE program (so far, I guess) and while I am totally excited and appreciative, I can't help feeling like they made a mistake? Like, my application was supposed to go into the REJECT pile but there was a mix up and soon they will have to tell me the truth?

I have been rejected by so many (much less prestigious) programs :(

When I got rejected from UT after being accepted with great funding from Rice, I started to doubt myself again. lol, and then I had a nightmare that same night that I got an email and a call from Rice telling me they had made a mistake and they would have to revoke their offer! I woke up feeling horrible but went back to sleep and had some slightly happier dreams, so it was only when I was rereading my Rice letter later that day that I remembered the terrifying dream. Don't worry about it being a mistake that you were accepted to a prestigious school while being rejected from other lower-ranked programs; lots of strange factors go into choosing candidates. Also, I guess you won't have a really hard decision ahead of you this next month when trying to decide where to go. :)

Paura is CLEANING UP over there.

^_^;;; It comes with having a rare field and lots of language under my belt, honestly. A lot of places probably like that they won't have to pay to train me for language work. ;) But hey, for every school I turn down a slot gets opened up for someone on the waiting list! Hope it helps out some of the people in limbo. :)

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan, Ohio State, Pittsburgh

Rejected:

Edited by Paura

I have a questions regarding etiquette for schools that I haven't heard from. So far I have heard from every school EXCEPT NYU, Columbia, and Rutgers.

I know for Columbia that means I am probably rejected, as it seems they didn't take the time to send out decisions to all applicants. Is it safe to assume I should E-mail the Graduate Secretary?

Has anyone heard from NYU or Rutgers?

Congrats everybody! I am so excited for you all!

I (and several other people) have heard from NYU a week or two ago.

I heard Rutgers through an email from my POI - Rejected. So, some decisions are being made. Good Luck!

I have a questions regarding etiquette for schools that I haven't heard from. So far I have heard from every school EXCEPT NYU, Columbia, and Rutgers.

I know for Columbia that means I am probably rejected, as it seems they didn't take the time to send out decisions to all applicants. Is it safe to assume I should E-mail the Graduate Secretary?

In at Fordham, but no funding.

I know how you feel... except you've already been accepted into 2 great programs! Interesting that you got into UNC... not Fordham. :rolleyes:

After seeing the rejections from George Washington, I decided to check the website for any decision info on my application. Curiously, it says a decision has been made, but there are no links to follow up on. The only thing new, I think, is a link to various campus and program tours they are offering. Hmmmm....is anyone else experiencing this?

I know how you feel... except you've already been accepted into 2 great programs! Interesting that you got into UNC... not Fordham. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I'm incredibly grateful that I'm in at UNC and UMN. Deciding between the two will be difficult.

Fordham's trick is this: You have to have been in the 75th percentile on every section of the GRE in order to qualify for funding. My lack of math skills finally came around to bite me in the ass. It's just nice to know that they at least thought me worthy of the program, funding or not.

Fordham's trick is this: You have to have been in the 75th percentile on every section of the GRE in order to qualify for funding. My lack of math skills finally came around to bite me in the ass. It's just nice to know that they at least thought me worthy of the program, funding or not.

Wow, if all grad programs did that I wouldn't have gotten funding anywhere. Honestly, that seems like a really flawed policy, especially considering that the quant percentiles are skewed with all the engineering/math/science kids who take it. Plus I can't think of anything that I was tested on that even remotely relates to being able to being a strong candidate in the humanities.

Wow, if all grad programs did that I wouldn't have gotten funding anywhere. Honestly, that seems like a really flawed policy, especially considering that the quant percentiles are skewed with all the engineering/math/science kids who take it. Plus I can't think of anything that I was tested on that even remotely relates to being able to being a strong candidate in the humanities.

I would've been in the same situation having scored 45th percentile on the Q.

I would've been in the same situation having scored 45th percentile on the Q.

Ridiculous policy. I got 27% on the Q part of GRE and got into great, great schools.

Their loss if they don't take you for this, really.

Damn, I got a 700 and still wouldn't have gotten funding. That's pretty ridiculous.

On a lighter note, I got into Central Michigan with 4 years' funding and a stipend. :D

Man that is a ridiculous policy. Not just because the math and engineering students skew the numbers upwards, but because they matter considerably less for humanities students. I got a 600 quantitative, which is like 50%, and a 690 verbal, which is like 98%. Seems unfairly skewed to screw over humanities students. I think the average for engineering students on the verbal is somewhere between 450 and 500, possibly higher, but even that's above the 50% mark.

Congrats to the UGA admit! meo03 was it you?

Guess this means I'm going to have a mild heart attack every time I check the mail. Though, who knows how long a MA decision could take. Unfortunately, I foresee my Mardi Gras break being more stressful than it should be.

Congrats to everyone else who has recently been admitted.

Congrats to the UGA admit! meo03 was it you?

Guess this means I'm going to have a mild heart attack every time I check the mail. Though, who knows how long a MA decision could take. Unfortunately, I foresee my Mardi Gras break being more stressful than it should be.

Congrats to everyone else who has recently been admitted.

hilarious. I just wrote the same exact thing-- with you in mind!

Man that is a ridiculous policy. Not just because the math and engineering students skew the numbers upwards, but because they matter considerably less for humanities students. I got a 600 quantitative, which is like 50%, and a 690 verbal, which is like 98%. Seems unfairly skewed to screw over humanities students. I think the average for engineering students on the verbal is somewhere between 450 and 500, possibly higher, but even that's above the 50% mark.

I don't quite get it either, but that's what they say on their financial aid website. I really don't know why math counts for history, unless you're doing some kind of advanced quantitative history. I would think that my 6 on the AW section would carry more weight. Oh well, the stipend I've heard they offer doesn't sound like a comfortable amount on which to live in NYC anyway. C'est la vie.