It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Is anyone else going through a roller-coaster of emotions? i.e. one minute I feel confident and I think that any moment I am going to get an acceptance letter with a billion dollars of funding, then a minute later I feel like I should have applied to clown school in Russia because I am a joke!!!

That pretty much sums it up :)

Someone just reported a rejection from U Chicago. God, they notified some people early this year!

This is really really strange... I'm thinking if I should check this forum any longer... it doesn't help anymore but only adds pressure on my little nerves :huh:

You are absolutely right, only if my last name was not Shang, haha. As by legend, my last name didn't come from those earlier Shang people, but instead, from the (arguably) the most important single person involved in overthrowing the Shang dynasty. I guess my lineage is not on good terms with the oracles. But I will definitely try some Chinese Divinations. :P

Heh, I supposedly come from the lineage of a general who cooperated with the Tang Dynasty to unify the Korean peninsula. Maybe putting this on my CV would have helped? I need all the help I can get after all >_<

Heh, I supposedly come from the lineage of a general who cooperated with the Tang Dynasty to unify the Korean peninsula. Maybe putting this on my CV would have helped? I need all the help I can get after all >_<

lol actually I put in my SOP that my ancestors were heavy weights in the Hundred Days' Reform (the Chinese Meiji Restoration) which initiated Chinese modernity and I wanted to study modern Chinese history on modernity, or in other words my own family (jk) :rolleyes:

Just saw a Yale History interview on the Results page. Anyone want to claim it?

Yale official decisions are likely coming out this week.

YaleHistory, PhD (F11)Interview via E-mail on 2 Feb 2011A2 Feb 2011

Oh, now I'm really worried :( I didn't even know Yale conducted interviews? Are they always a prerequisite to admission?

Since I'm in the thick of it, I have no idea about my chances. Like everyone else here, I'm worrying myself sick.

I only applied to five programs:

Oxford: Accepted

Cambridge: Accepted

Harvard:

Yale:

Princeton:

Hopefully five was sufficient. Stats-wise, I was

3.83 overall gpa/4.00 major gpa from top university

2 major sole-author publications (both in undergrad), latter one in very prestigious journal

Two co-authorships with world-renowned professor (all in undergrad)

Recipient, national graduate humanities scholarship

Founder, nationally-distributed research journal

LORs from 2 renowned professors, university president

Professional exhibition management experience

University history honors + research grants + PBK (the norm for people on this site, seemingly).

Now I feel queasy even mentioning these things.. :(

Oh, now I'm really worried :( I didn't even know Yale conducted interviews? Are they always a prerequisite to admission?

Since I'm in the thick of it, I have no idea about my chances. Like everyone else here, I'm worrying myself sick.

Harvard:

Yale:

Princeton:

2 major sole-author publications (both in undergrad), latter one in very prestigious journal

University history honors + research grants + PBK (the norm for people on this site, seemingly).

I regretted I even bothered to apply :blink:

For the third time applicant, I'm largely calm. But right now I'm being ridiculous. I just filed away like 50-100 e-mail messages in my Gmail to appropriate folders. And I have another 100-150 to go... Yes, this is ridiculous. <_<:rolleyes:

Okay, I'm going to sleep. :mellow:

Ah, but I should note that my current research focus is very, ehm...oddball...which means that there may not be many available faculty :( More my fault than anything else, really...

I wonder if that Yale interviewee was a joke? Perhaps?

For the third time applicant, I'm largely calm. But right now I'm being ridiculous. I just filed away like 50-100 e-mail messages in my Gmail to appropriate folders. And I have another 100-150 to go... Yes, this is ridiculous. <_<:rolleyes:

Okay, I'm going to sleep. :mellow:

And, good luck ticklemepink! Seriously! I think I'm going to have to go distract myself too...

Harvard:

Yale:

Princeton:

You'd be very unlucky if you do not get a funded offer

You'd be very unlucky if you do not get a funded offer

I'm keeping my fingers crossed unsure.gif

Also, as for the Yale interviewee post, I wonder if it was just one professor asking a candidate for further information...? Speculating out of nerves, haha.

For those who applied to Harvard, is it acceptable if one completed the financial form in mid-January (but sent in everything else before the December 15th deadline)?

From what I heard from a very, very reliable source, most subcomitees at Yale, usually corresponding to subfields, have already made their choices and now it's up to the Department's comitee (who's there I don't know) to confirm their picks and make it official. Most of the email contacting is about professors telling these news to prospective students whose dossiers have impressed them, and asking if they are really interested in going to Yale - read if it is their top choice.

So expect news in the next few days.

It's destroying me too.

Kind of glad I didn't apply to Yale at this point (though I couldn't have - no program in my subfield). But, all this anxiety is turning me grey. That and the fact that I've reached a point in my trans-Atlantic relationship where we had "the talk" about how feasible it is to go on long distance. Shouldn't have quit smoking last month - but thank god for whisky and wine.

From what I heard from a very, very reliable source, most subcomitees at Yale, usually corresponding to subfields, have already made their choices and now it's up to the Department's comitee (who's there I don't know) to confirm their picks and make it official. Most of the email contacting is about professors telling these news to prospective students whose dossiers have impressed them, and asking if they are really interested in going to Yale - read if it is their top choice.

It's destroying me too.

Many thanks, modern :) So, it sounds as if it's personal decisions on the part of professors whether they wish to contact prospective choices...hopefully that will work in our favor, and we'll both get nods! Good luck! How are you passing the time (other than thegradcafe)?

It's destroying me too.

And the anxiety sets in. Ugh.

don't worry about yale. they're just a PhD mill and you don't really want to go there anyway. ;)

This is gonna hurt a lot :lol:

I really don't care - no match anyways but I'm afraid this translates into 1 out of my 6 most important schools gone XD I'm counting my chances haha

if there's no match at yale why is it one of your top 6?

I plan to double in JD :huh: I have long concerned about legal history and the relationship between law and modernity. No one's doing that in Yale in the East Asian realm but I can consider to jump ship to the western side if chances permit XD

Just a plan.. i admit I'm a fickle person but it's better to have choice in hand

Edited by RDX

Aw hell. Now I'm even more anxious than I was 10 minutes ago.