It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Princeton's student invites are a part of the application process, and you should think of it as a competitive interview. Don't approach it as "I'm in already, now let's meet the faculty." The interviews are grueling.

So when might one hear about Princeton history department interviews (if at all)?

Edited by USUKHFfan

Very surprised here to learn princeton has a very competitive interview. my ignorance :mellow:

No, no that's quite all right - I'm still very much in the dark as well. I'm only going on what the first responder said. I haven't heard from Princeton, but since no one mentioned HYP history reviews on other posts, I thought I should ask. I'm assuming they don't normally offer them.

PS - RDX: Did you apply in the January cohort at Oxford and Cambridge? What MPhil programme did you apply for?

No, no that's quite all right - I'm still very much in the dark as well. I'm only going on what the first responder said. I haven't heard from Princeton, but since no one mentioned HYP history reviews on other posts, I thought I should ask. I'm assuming they don't normally offer them.

PS - RDX: Did you apply in the January cohort at Oxford and Cambridge? What MPhil programme did you apply for?

I don't know if HYP will offer any interview. I don't think so but I can be wrong.

I didn't go for Oxbridge. I once planned to but was not really in the mood to prepare any application in January after the long vacation :P

and I've applied to too many anyways so I gave them up

I have noticed a reject from Yale in the survey from an "inside contact." Just FYI.

I saw that too, this morning, and it doesn't fill me with hope for the future, especially considering the well regarded masters degree. Hell, I got my undergrad degree at the same state school I'm getting my masters at.

The only hope I have is that they'll look at my application and say "well, she's from the school on the other side of the tracks from ours; let's let her in cause she went there."

It's a rumor around my school that if you keep a specific GPA throughout your MA program, Yale "guarantees" admission. I doubt it's true, but it keeps me warm at night.

I don't know if HYP will offer any interview. I don't think so but I can be wrong.

I think you are right. Looking at the past years results, as well as the history department websites, it does not look like HYP offer interviews for their history applicants, or even invite you to visit pre-admissions offer.

Good luck to everyone else applying to them, hopefully we hear back soon.

The Princeton Professor that I've been in contact with for the past months told me that they do invite people to the campus, but he painted it more as being part of the recruitment process than as part of the selection: from what he told me, it was more about securing their favourites candidates with a fully paid trip to their magnificent campus, libraries, and resources of all sorts than anything else. And I bet it works given what they have: the campus is the most impressive of the big Ivies IMO. It is in the middle of nowhere (though not far from NY of Philly), but it is just too beautiful and calm.

Of course, it might be a final sanity check too, as someone mentioned. If you arrive there dressed like a medieval soldier (and mind, the campus is castle-like), there's a chance they'll put you back in the Princeton Shuttle.

The Princeton Professor that I've been in contact with for the past months told me that they do invite people to the campus, but he painted it more as being part of the recruitment process than as part of the selection: from what he told me, it was more about securing their favourites candidates with a fully paid trip to their magnificent campus, libraries, and resources of all sorts than anything else.

I am not applying to Princeton History but to a similar interdisciplinary Humanities programme (generally regarded as the actual No.1 in its field in the USA). The rumour has it for us that the on-campus invitation is very much part of the recruitment process. :(

I received a call last week from my potential adviser saying my application had been viewed "quite favorably." She asked if I was still interested in the program and I explained, very nervously, that I am indeed still interested. She went on to say that five-year funding was unlikely given obvious limitations but could probably offer two years. The call was brief and concluded with the promise of an email in the next several weeks pending final decisions by field.

My initial excitement has descended into unbridled anxiety; was this some sort of preliminary interview? What answer are you supposed to give when asked if you're still interested in the program other than, "yes, absolutely!" And, while I'm inclined to view this call in a positive light, how confident can I really feel about my admission until a firm offer arrives in my mailbox?

I suppose I'm seeking some sort of statistic on how many people receive similar calls and wind up with a rejection or admit without funding.

I received a call last week from my potential adviser saying my application had been viewed "quite favorably." She asked if I was still interested in the program and I explained, very nervously, that I am indeed still interested. She went on to say that five-year funding was unlikely given obvious limitations but could probably offer two years. The call was brief and concluded with the promise of an email in the next several weeks pending final decisions by field.

My initial excitement has descended into unbridled anxiety; was this some sort of preliminary interview? What answer are you supposed to give when asked if you're still interested in the program other than, "yes, absolutely!" And, while I'm inclined to view this call in a positive light, how confident can I really feel about my admission until a firm offer arrives in my mailbox?

I suppose I'm seeking some sort of statistic on how many people receive similar calls and wind up with a rejection or admit without funding.

Congratulations first. After all, a two year offer is good news.. And btw, there's still no news for me. I guess I'm perishing in a lacking of news...

AFAIK, when we are asked about such questions, we are expected to elaborate our answer a little bit, e.g. giving out details in a clear and concise way, although I doubt if it is an interview in disguise anyway.

The Princeton Professor that I've been in contact with for the past months told me that they do invite people to the campus, but he painted it more as being part of the recruitment process than as part of the selection: from what he told me, it was more about securing their favourites candidates with a fully paid trip to their magnificent campus, libraries, and resources of all sorts than anything else. And I bet it works given what they have: the campus is the most impressive of the big Ivies IMO. It is in the middle of nowhere (though not far from NY of Philly), but it is just too beautiful and calm.

Of course, it might be a final sanity check too, as someone mentioned. If you arrive there dressed like a medieval soldier (and mind, the campus is castle-like), there's a chance they'll put you back in the Princeton Shuttle.

Middle of nowhere? <_< I take it as an insult. I grew up 30 minutes away from Princeton and I most definitely saw that particular area as more suburban than where my house really was (You had to think twice about driving 20 minutes to get a gallon of milk, that's just bordering between suburban and rural areas). Really, there are other places more "middle of nowhere" than P-ton. :D

Sorry about that, I didn't mean it in a bad way.

No worries. Everyone has their own perception of what's consider urban and rural. Even some kids at my "middle-of-nowhere" undergrad said it's actually more urban than their own towns where no traffic lights existed!

Anyhow, easy access to Philly and NYC makes Princeton all more accessible. :)

One of my cohort is brilliant, was invited to and interviewed at Princeton, and received a rejection letter. This is why I believe that it was part of the acceptance process, but I could very well be wrong. Although I did not apply, it don't think it would be a bad idea to go prepared either way...

Anyways good luck Princeton hopefuls!

One of my cohort is brilliant, was invited to and interviewed at Princeton, and received a rejection letter. This is why I believe that it was part of the acceptance process, but I could very well be wrong. Although I did not apply, it don't think it would be a bad idea to go prepared either way...

You say you're in East Asian History. Based on looking through past decisions, it seems that the East Asian Studies Department at Princeton does do interviews, though the History Department does not. Since many East Asian historians apply through East Asian Studies (as I am), perhaps your friend had an interview because (s)he applied that way.

You say you're in East Asian History. Based on looking through past decisions, it seems that the East Asian Studies Department at Princeton does do interviews, though the History Department does not. Since many East Asian historians apply through East Asian Studies (as I am), perhaps your friend had an interview because (s)he applied that way.

Ah, so the East Asian Studies program conducts interviews, but not the department of history. I was starting to get worried...

I saw that. There's also another UNC acceptance. I'm starting to feel very unloved; maybe my parents were wrong-- I'm not special at all. wink.gif

Nah, you are just saving yourself for Yale. Who needs UNC anyways? ;)

I'm sure that, in your case, they're saving the best for last.

Nah, you are just saving yourself for Yale. Who needs UNC anyways? ;)

Thanks! Camaraderie is lovely! I predict a Madison acceptance in someone's future. Sorry Rustin, I can't predict yours; you've not mentioned where you are applying! My soothsaying skills can only go so far. . . .