It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

K Ryan, may I ask which professor you applied to work with at NYU? I'm in early American/colonial as well and was just wondering...

I focused on Dr. Morgan in my statement of purpose, but on the application it asked for two adviser suggestions and I also put Dr. Kupperman. How about you?

Edited by K Ryan

So, I'm assuming that by the tone of the posts it has now truly begun? :)

hahahaha. i like this blog because when i start feeling like im going crazy with all of the ridiculous steps to applying and the constant worrying and anxiety in real life (still havent heard from any schools and i still have 2 apps due) i can come here and be among my fellow crazies. nobody else really understands.

hahahaha. i like this blog because when i start feeling like im going crazy with all of the ridiculous steps to applying and the constant worrying and anxiety in real life (still havent heard from any schools and i still have 2 apps due) i can come here and be among my fellow crazies. nobody else really understands.

I am envious of bears and their ability called "hibernation." I wish I could hibernate until Feb 15 or so.

That NYU post is seriously driving me mad. It says American history, would anyone like to take credit and maybe clarify what area of American history, because I am early American/ Colonial.

I also received an invitation to the Prospective Students Weekend, and I'm applying for Early Modern Atlantic. I don't think too much should be read into it, though, as people have been admitted in the past who did not attent the weekend, and some people attending were rejected afterwards. So yeah.

So, to keep people posted. Earlier this week USC sent out offers to fly students in for a campus visit. I'm assuming they sent it to most of — if not all — the first batch of admits, since the date is in early March and they want an answer ASAP.

Best of luck!

Edited by barricades

So, to keep people posted. Earlier this week USC sent out offers to fly students in for a campus visit. I'm assuming they sent it to most of — if not all — the first batch of admits, since the date is in early March and they want an answer ASAP.

Best of luck!

Sounding it is really really the season.... don't know when my piece of (good) news will arrive

Is there anyone here who applied to Chicago? Did you hear anything?

No news from Chicago here either.

For Wisconsin applicants, apparently the History Department recommended 66 individuals to be admitted this year, which is a third less than previous years. They are hoping for a smaller incoming class.

Edited by the imminent reject

No news from Chicago here either.

For Wisconsin applicants, apparently the History Department recommended 66 individuals to be admitted this year, which is a third less than previous years. They are hoping for a smaller incoming class.

That's terrible news. How do you know that?

Got an email from PA today, who asked if I would like to set up a time to talk about the program and told me that the school would be announcing decisions soon. Emphasis on soon and wanting to talk. Good sign, cushioning the blow, or admit without funding? ... so scared!

While I don't think committees/PAs/profs have the time/energy/care to read forums, I'd rather not get anybody in trouble (including me!) so PM me for the school if you're curious. I know I'm probably just paranoid and grabbing my tinfoil hat, but better safe than sorry right before decisions come out.. right? Since a lot of people applied a lot of places across the US, it's a northeast school =)

Edited by infalliblekitty

Got an email from PA today, who asked if I would like to set up a time to talk about the program and told me that the school would be announcing decisions soon. Emphasis on soon and wanting to talk. Good sign, cushioning the blow, or admit without funding? ... so scared!

I'm pretty sure it's not bad news, as in a rejection. I would think that it could be either the third of your options, a query whether you'd be willing to do an MA program, or something of that sort. Or, perhaps it's just good news overall and they want to gauge your interest to see where they rank in your decisions. It's really up in the air, but I'd at least think it is some form of good news.

Would you mind telling us what school you are talking about?

Do Harvard, Yale and Princeton universities generally conduct interviews? Or, do they rely more on the SOI for personal information, character, etc?

Princeton's student invites are a part of the application process, and you should think of it as a competitive interview. Don't approach it as "I'm in already, now let's meet the faculty." The interviews are grueling.

out of the usual 100, or the current 66, any idea of how many of those wisconsin admits come with guaranteed funding?

There are three categories:

A. guaranteed funding (3-5 year packages)

B. guaranteed funding first year with subsequent years likely

C. no funding first year, subsequent years probable

In a cohort of 20ish, I would say in any given year there may be 0-3 As, 2-5 Bs, and the rest Cs. The As usually have very competitive applications and several options at other schools. Usually the As come from Ivy tier undergrad or have MAs from elsewhere already.

Of the Cs that continue into their second year, I would guess that very roughly 75% are able to get funding through TAships.

First year funding seems to be the biggest hurdle. Outside of the rare packages, first year funding usually comes from FLAS or PAship (project assistant). Fluency in difficult languages may help with PAships, as some of them require translation work. Wisconsin just got a Mellon Foundation grant (11 million, I believe?) which should help out quite a bit.

These are based on very very nebulous impressions. Please assume a margin of error of like, 40% for any given figure.