It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Nah, you are just saving yourself for Yale. Who needs UNC anyways? ;)

As a Tar Heel and a UNC applicant I am offended by this comment. However, due to your winking face, a lack of response from UNC and their low stipend, I will forget your slight (subject to change if they do accept me).

But hopefully at the end of all this I'll be able to say that I was just saving myself for Princeton.

And hello, Wisconsin, we'd like a response soon....

I know I shouldn't even be thinking about this since it is just going to drive me nuts thinking about these things, but this was just poster in results:

University Of Illinois, Urbana Champaign (UIUC) History, PhD (F11) Accepted via Postal Service on 1 Feb 2011 A 1 Feb 2011 Middle East History. Full funding.

Anyone here post this?

Part of me is freaking out with anticipation but part of me is suspect of this since no acceptances via postal service are listed from previous years. Also if the committee did in fact meet on Friday then I have no idea how a letter would have arrived already.

You say you're in East Asian History. Based on looking through past decisions, it seems that the East Asian Studies Department at Princeton does do interviews, though the History Department does not. Since many East Asian historians apply through East Asian Studies (as I am), perhaps your friend had an interview because (s)he applied that way.

Actually you might be on to something here. Well good luck with Princeton! (And I mean this earnestly, since it seems we overlap on Stanford and Harvard lol).

Actually you might be on to something here. Well good luck with Princeton! (And I mean this earnestly, since it seems we overlap on Stanford and Harvard lol).

Haha. And good luck at Chicago to you!

No worries. Everyone has their own perception of what's consider urban and rural. Even some kids at my "middle-of-nowhere" undergrad said it's actually more urban than their own towns where no traffic lights existed!

Anyhow, easy access to Philly and NYC makes Princeton all more accessible.

A great measure of a place is that you easily leave it and go somewhere you really want to be. ;)

You say you're in East Asian History. Based on looking through past decisions, it seems that the East Asian Studies Department at Princeton does do interviews, though the History Department does not. Since many East Asian historians apply through East Asian Studies (as I am), perhaps your friend had an interview because (s)he applied that way.

This sounds right to me... By the way just realized you are applying to Chinese history as well. Glad we have only one overlap :P

This sounds right to me... By the way just realized you are applying to Chinese history as well. Glad we have only one overlap :P

Looks to me like you're applying everywhere I am plus a few more. Or are the departments different? Good luck in any case - and if you get into Yale and have any questions let me know; I did my undergrad there and so know the Chinese history scene pretty well.

Looks to me like you're applying everywhere I am plus a few more. Or are the departments different? Good luck in any case - and if you get into Yale and have any questions let me know; I did my undergrad there and so know the Chinese history scene pretty well.

I apply for history programs only.. no interest in east Asian studies... :P

I doubt if I would get into Yale, not a good match (not bad match either) but I would definite do if I'm in haha I will be in desperate need of gossip once I'm in:) I didn't get a letter asking me if I'd like to be transferred to east Asian masters. So sounds like I still (can) have a shot in :huh:

And of course good luck to your applications as well.

Ah, so the East Asian Studies program conducts interviews, but not the department of history. I was starting to get worried...

Ouch; I applied through East Asian Studies for Princeton. (Actually did East Asian for all my apps except for Yale and Michigan.) Now I'm getting worried! D:

I'm eating fortune cookies, watching auspices, reading tea leaves, listening to weekly Zodiac updates, I guess I need some sorcery too.

Don't forget the oracle bones! I think those Shang knew something that we don't know...

I would use turtles, you get more bang for the buck than oxen. (Oxen are too expensive).

Don't forget the oracle bones! I think those Shang knew something that we don't know...

I would use turtles, you get more bang for the buck than oxen. (Oxen are too expensive).

You are absolutely right, only if my last name was not Shang, haha. As by legend, my last name didn't come from those earlier Shang people, but instead, from the (arguably) the most important single person involved in overthrowing the Shang dynasty. I guess my lineage is not on good terms with the oracles. But I will definitely try some Chinese Divinations. :P

Someone just reported admissions to U Chicago for European History!

(Congratulations to whoever it may be, by the way!!)

It is beginning indeed....

Congratulations too. This is a really good program.. And I'm growing alittle bit anxious...... I wish I could get in.

Oh my mirror: tell me if I'm the most admitted man! ;)

Edited by RDX

Bitting my nails. Definitely one of my top three.

As good old Clay Davis would say:

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit..."

But congrats!

"Just one school with funding, just one school with funding." That's been my mantra for the past two months. Now that we're probably going to be hearing back relatively soon from a number of schools, I'm getting so anxious it's not even funny.

I'd like it to begin for me now, please!!!

"Just one school with funding, just one school with funding." That's been my mantra for the past two months. Now that we're probably going to be hearing back relatively soon from a number of schools, I'm getting so anxious it's not even funny.

I'd like it to begin for me now, please!!!

Totally agree.. just one school with funding .. just one .... I guess I'm not too greedy for I've applied for sooo many.

How did Chicago deliver this decision - email, phone or snail mail?

Ugh, I finally figured out where everyone was getting their information from (the results page) - now I am going to be checking this section obsessively (ignorance was bliss :-)

Is anyone else going through a roller-coaster of emotions? i.e. one minute I feel confident and I think that any moment I am going to get an acceptance letter with a billion dollars of funding, then a minute later I feel like I should have applied to clown school in Russia because I am a joke!!!