It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

I can only hope that he's on top of the app because the department plans to recommend me to the Graduate School for admission. But, who knows?

hope is good. :)

the LORs are such an essential part of the application, on an equal level to your SOP and, if the letters come from well-known academics, probably more important than the SOP or writing sample, so adcoms can't really make a decision on an applicant without the LORs. the fact that he's reminding you that they need your letters could definitely mean that he's interested in your work and your ideas, but i wouldn't get ahead of yourself and assume that he's asking for the letters because there's a strong feeling on the adcom about you one way or the other. there's likely no feeling about your application yet since key pieces are still missing. just take a deep breath, it's still january.

instead of hoping and praying that you'd get to live in manhattan in the fall.

Given the size of most grad student stipends, I'd say living in Manhattan isn't really something I consider an advantage.

hope is good. :)

the LORs are such an essential part of the application, on an equal level to your SOP and, if the letters come from well-known academics, probably more important than the SOP or writing sample, so adcoms can't really make a decision on an applicant without the LORs. the fact that he's reminding you that they need your letters could definitely mean that he's interested in your work and your ideas, but i wouldn't get ahead of yourself and assume that he's asking for the letters because there's a strong feeling on the adcom about you one way or the other. there's likely no feeling about your application yet since key pieces are still missing. just take a deep breath, it's still january.

When we talked about the process over the phone, he told me that applications are directed to the department and prospective advisor who then make their recommendations for admission to the Graduate School committee.

The character of "I can only hope" is far more speculative than assumptive. So, I wouldn't say I am "assuming." Then again, speculation is just as useless as making assumptions. Like I said... who knows? Point well taken, nevertheless, StrangeLight.

Sooo it is very possible that Wisconsin will release its decisions tomorrow. Is anyone else sick to their stomach with anxiety?

I'm kind of at peace with what I assume will be my rejection from Wisconsin. This is mostly because the professor I wanted to be my advisor is on leave right now. I applied anyway (because hey! maybe not) and I would be so pleased to be accepted, but I'm not counting on it.

I hope you get good news!

I'm ready, Badge, but the delay for what seems to be unlikely funding lessens my eagerness. But with the morale boost an acceptance would give, I am a bit anxious to see what they say.

I spoke to one of the graduate administrators at Georgetown today and their admissions board will be meeting in the first week of February, with responses going out soon after....not too long now!

thanks for this! so exciting!

This is just awful. I know the decision is coming any day now - any second, really. And it's all I think about.

It's awful and exciting all wrapped up in one stomach-churning moment. Refreshing the "results" page every hour doesn't help my nausea either. Did anyone else just see the Yale rejection?

I posted the Yale rejection just a bit ago. Here's the email:

I write with disappointing news. The history department's East Asia wing met today, and, because the PhD pool is so competitive, we realized that we will not be able to offer you admission to our Ph.D. program.

I am writing to ask if you would give us permission to transfer your file to the MA program in East Asian Studies. This is a completely separate admissions pool, in which we think that your application would be competitive. Unlike our PhD program, the MA pool is not able to give all students a stipend or a tuition waiver, but it does offer the top applicants a handful of fellowships every year.

One year of study at Yale will give you a chance to do more language work. Many of our MAs have been admitted to Yale or to other top graduate programs.

If, on the other hand, you have been admitted to a PhD program elsewhere, you may decide that it is best not to apply for our MA.

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them by email or on the phone

I already have a fully funded MA offer elsewhere, so unless I get funding this isn't even a consideration, but I asked to have my application forwarded anyway, just to see. On the bright side, this means they're looking at everyone's applications, right? Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Sorry for the disappointing news kyjin. Maybe it's, however little, somewhat of a consolation to get the rejection out of the way so early? Good luck with the rest and congrats on the funded offer. At least you have an option for next Fall.

@BadgerHopeful: I'm with you on the mix of emotions. The early decisions from Wisconsin on last year's thread have me checking "my.wisc.edu" about every couple of hours. But you know, the department website says we should expect results in Feb. I was wondering if you were basing the decisions to be coming this week on last year's thread like me, or if you had inside information.

I was resisting before, but now that it's time, I guess I'll put a finalized list of where I applied and what I applied for in my signature.

And you know, I don't think it really hit me that all those damn essays I wrote and all that information I filled and sent in was actually going to get me responses until Indiana wrote me a couple weeks ago

Edited by Jdealla

Kyjin, I can't help but be curious about your location (Yokahama).

If you don't mind me asking, are you doing Stanford's IUC program there? It's strange that they would mention additional language practice to someone at IUC...

kyjin,

many of us (including me) are obsessed with every possible bit of news coming from this forum.

In that case: according to the department website UI Urbana-Champaign's admissions committee is meeting on the 29th. Random piece of info but it should provide a reason for people to at least not think about UI until early next week.

Sorry for the disappointing news kyjin. Maybe it's, however little, somewhat of a consolation to get the rejection out of the way so early? Good luck with the rest and congrats on the funded offer. At least you have an option for next Fall.

It's really fine. I already have one fantastic option for the fall that I found out about last month, so I'd rather hear the rest of the news quickly, good or bad. I stressed out a ton last year when I was applying for programs in Japan, so I'm trying to be more relaxed about things this year.

Kyjin, I can't help but be curious about your location (Yokahama).

If you don't mind me asking, are you doing Stanford's IUC program there? It's strange that they would mention additional language practice to someone at IUC...

Yep, I'm at IUC. Even though I'm advanced in Japanese, Yale's history program requires mastery of other languages as well. Maybe they expect me to pick up Chinese?

kyjin,

Thanks for posting the email you received from Yale - as I'm sure you know, many of us (including me) are obsessed with every possible bit of news coming from this forum. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

No problem! And thanks for the well wishes!

Now to wait to hear from everyone else.

I followed up last week with one of the Wisconsin professors I had emailed with in the Fall while doing applications, just to follow up, provide more detail on my interests that we had talked about in the Fall, etc. I got a response back today:

I’m afraid that we were not able to offer you admission as part of next year’s cohort. Your file was very competitive, but you had the misfortune of applying in a year in which the US program of our department drastically curtailed its offers of admission as a consequence of an historically high rate of acceptance last year and a persistently dreadful job market. I doubt that it’s much consolation to you, but only a fraction of the truly deserving receive offers of admission. While I cannot offer any guarantees, I can tell you that your application will again be very competitive should you chose to resubmit it for the next class.

Very Best Wishes,

Disappointing since I thought my interests wise Wisconsin was one of the better matches of the schools I applied to...though I wasn't terribly keen on the idea of the winters there after getting my MA in Chicago.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for word from Wisconsin!

@BadgerHopeful: I'm with you on the mix of emotions. The early decisions from Wisconsin on last year's thread have me checking "my.wisc.edu" about every couple of hours. But you know, the department website says we should expect results in Feb. I was wondering if you were basing the decisions to be coming this week on last year's thread like me, or if you had inside information.

I was resisting before, but now that it's time, I guess I'll put a finalized list of where I applied and what I applied for in my signature.

And you know, I don't think it really hit me that all those damn essays I wrote and all that information I filled and sent in was actually going to get me responses until Indiana wrote me a couple weeks ago

omg I'm not even going to tell you how many times I checked the my.wisc.edu today. It's embarassing. I don't have any insider information, I was just basing it on the results from previous years.

Also, the first Wisconsin rejection has been posted.

I followed up last week with one of the Wisconsin professors I had emailed with in the Fall while doing applications, just to follow up, provide more detail on my interests that we had talked about in the Fall, etc. I got a response back today:

I’m afraid that we were not able to offer you admission as part of next year’s cohort. Your file was very competitive, but you had the misfortune of applying in a year in which the US program of our department drastically curtailed its offers of admission as a consequence of an historically high rate of acceptance last year and a persistently dreadful job market. I doubt that it’s much consolation to you, but only a fraction of the truly deserving receive offers of admission. While I cannot offer any guarantees, I can tell you that your application will again be very competitive should you chose to resubmit it for the next class.

Very Best Wishes,

Disappointing since I thought my interests wise Wisconsin was one of the better matches of the schools I applied to...though I wasn't terribly keen on the idea of the winters there after getting my MA in Chicago.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for word from Wisconsin!

Thanks for sharing, and sorry for the bad news. Though now I'm even more worried than I was before...

Yep, I'm at IUC. Even though I'm advanced in Japanese, Yale's history program requires mastery of other languages as well. Maybe they expect me to pick up Chinese?

No problem! And thanks for the well wishes!

Now to wait to hear from everyone else.

Wow, what a small world. I'm an IUC grad, Summer 2010. Do you happen to know 秋澤先生?できれば「推薦状を書いて下さいましてありがとうございます」と伝えてくれませんでしょうか?(笑 He would know who it was from ^^

Anyways, good luck with the other schools. The East Asian History world is small, I'm sure I'll run into you in RL sometime...

Thanks for sharing, and sorry for the bad news. Though now I'm even more worried than I was before...

Wisconsin was high on my list of possible sites. I really wanted to work with Nan Enstad. After corresponding with her through email, I found out early about their drastic cuts in funding and PhD openings. I verified this with a a former colleague of mine who just began her PhD work there. She said that she has something like 30 people in her cohort and way too many people accepted offers last fall. It was with a heavy heart that I decided not to apply there.

I wish everyone out there luck and I am so happy to have found this site!

Very Best Wishes,

I really appreciate you sharing this, datroy. Sorry to hear the bad news.

I must say, this is terrifying- and something I am really worried about hearing from my top choice as well. Everywhere seems to have funding issues, and European/American history is far from trendy (sadly, it is also what I love).

Anyone else wish we could go back a few decades to a time when the competition was lower, western history was marketable, and the economy didn’t suck?