SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

This question goes out to all of you who are very familiar to the various applications websites by now; will there be any Spring programs for an out of field applicant. I am coming into this process backwards and I am having difficulty getting together a plan of entering into a program as most programs are very difficult to communicate with. Some spring programs seem to be open only to in field applicants. Are there any programs more favorable/accessible to out of field applicant? My BA is in English and I am a career switcher from social services so I'm completely out of my element. Any advice is welcomed. This post might not belong here but I can't start a new topic yet.

I've got Neuro, AAC, Treatment, Stats and an environmental policy course for my double major... so I totally see what you all mean about the motivation part. I followed the A = Average, B = Bad, etc scale my whole undergrad and now I'm thinking "Gosh, would it be terrible if I let myself get a couple of Bs?" My brain graduated way before schedule and I've been dragging this semester like a bum leg. The only thing keeping me from just getting a 3.0 is this fear that I need to maintain my grades in order to keep my fellowship.

Hi-

Where are you located? There are definitely schools that take spring admissions, it just depends on where you are looking to apply. I am in New York so I am familiar with those schools. However, you can go to this website and search for your area and it tells you whether or not they take Fall or Spring admission (http://hes.asha.org:...tersSearch.aspx). Feel free to private message me, I am more than willing to help you out!

This question goes out to all of you who are very familiar to the various applications websites by now; will there be any Spring programs for an out of field applicant. I am coming into this process backwards and I am having difficulty getting together a plan of entering into a program as most programs are very difficult to communicate with. Some spring programs seem to be open only to in field applicants. Are there any programs more favorable/accessible to out of field applicant? My BA is in English and I am a career switcher from social services so I'm completely out of my element. Any advice is welcomed. This post might not belong here but I can't start a new topic yet.

I've got Neuro, AAC, Treatment, Stats and an environmental policy course for my double major... so I totally see what you all mean about the motivation part. I followed the A = Average, B = Bad, etc scale my whole undergrad and now I'm thinking "Gosh, would it be terrible if I let myself get a couple of Bs?" My brain graduated way before schedule and I've been dragging this semester like a bum leg. The only thing keeping me from just getting a 3.0 is this fear that I need to maintain my grades in order to keep my fellowship.

So there right now! I was completely anal and grade obsessed for almost my whole time in undergrad and now it's a struggle to pay attention at all. :P

So there right now! I was completely anal and grade obsessed for almost my whole time in undergrad and now it's a struggle to pay attention at all. :P

I know the feeling...can't wait to start wanting to pay attention again in three months!

Hi everyone, first time posting. Wish I would have known more about grad cafe earlier in the application process, it would have eased some of my worries lol. I was just wondering if anyone is going to be attending Northwestern in the fall? I'm really excited to be attending there since this is my second time applying :-)

Edited by Purd2006

I searched for spring programs through the website you provided and I still cannot find any within state or in the surrounding states, NC, TN, GA, except for App. state but it looks like their spring program only takes 10 in field applicants :(

Do any of you guys have cute SLP related ideas for your graduation cap? We are allowed to decorate ours and I wanted it to be about SLP. I was gonna have it say "Go Gators" in IPA, but it doesn't look that cool lol.

haha Katie that's great! I would definitely stick with the IPA idea..maybe some UTK stuff though...just saying wink.gif

haha Katie that's great! I would definitely stick with the IPA idea..maybe some UTK stuff though...just saying wink.gif

I can't do that in an arena full of gators!! I'm telling you...I will not convert. It's gonna be one weird transition to go from one SEC school to another!! I will miss seeing orange and blue everywhere I go.

Do any of you guys have cute SLP related ideas for your graduation cap? We are allowed to decorate ours and I wanted it to be about SLP. I was gonna have it say "Go Gators" in IPA, but it doesn't look that cool lol.

A bunch of girls wrote "Puh Tuh Kuh" on their hats at graduation. Hope this helps:)

So far, I'm thinking "Empowering the world through communication" in IPA with a globe replacing the word "world." I need to show some love to my double major (geography) but it's hard to incorporate both!

I still can't believe we're decorating caps soon.

I almost put on mine "To intelligibility... and beyond!" Instead I'm being boring and going with my undergrad major's initials/2011 and ECU/ '13. I was also tempted to put my new mascot on (a pirate) with some type of /r/ joke.

I'm jealous- we weren't allowed to do this when I graduated last year. :(

These are not my own, but I think they are cool...:)

print.

laminate.

cut.

repeat.

R (picture of a tick) you'll 8

SLPs

Rock

Talk!

• 2 weeks later...

Has everyone started getting info packets from the program you're attending in the Fall? I've only heard about my prereq requirements from my program director, but would really like to know about immunization requirements, CPR certification requirements, class schedules, scheduling clinical observation time over the summer, etc.

Are you all getting this info from your programs, or am I insane for expecting this? I don't want to nag the program director about this stuff if it should be coming in the mail soon.

Has everyone started getting info packets from the program you're attending in the Fall? I've only heard about my prereq requirements from my program director, but would really like to know about immunization requirements, CPR certification requirements, class schedules, scheduling clinical observation time over the summer, etc.

Are you all getting this info from your programs, or am I insane for expecting this? I don't want to nag the program director about this stuff if it should be coming in the mail soon.

I've been getting this type of information (immunization, health plan, visa forms etc) through the university, not the actual department. The department got in touch to say that we should be getting more specific information regarding courses and the like next month.

I got my log-in for the school's website that has all of that information in an orientation module. I'm already working on getting my immunization stuff done while I still have good insurance through my work, and I registered for a CPR class.

I got my log-in for the school's website that has all of that information in an orientation module. I'm already working on getting my immunization stuff done while I still have good insurance through my work, and I registered for a CPR class.

Ugh, I'm jealous! I've had nothing but radio silence from BU and the anticipation is killing me.

Ugh, I'm jealous! I've had nothing but radio silence from BU and the anticipation is killing me.

Ditto! There's no orientation type link on my school's website, at least not for graduate students. Nothing is on my sign-in screen either accept a "welcome to the program" type message. No word from the school or program. I'll wait another couple of weeks, then I'll start nagging!

Hmmm...

I see on the "Results" board that perspective grad students are talking about putting down deposits on multiple schools with the intentions of reneging the contract later on and not attending. I understand there is a certain amount of insecurity and anxiety about waiting it out until the last possible moment to see if you are accepted off the waitlists but do you really have the money to forfeit for these deposits of acceptance and is that really fair to those who are waiting to get into the schools you really have no intentions of attending? Professionally, it looks bad to go back on an agreement (and I have no idea how well networked these programs are) but I would be more concerned about those poor folks who can't get off the waitlists because some people are double-dipping and, in some cases, triple-dipping.

Just my measly 2-cents.

(ten minutes later....) Okay, maybe it isn't as crucial at the Masters degree level to maintain some contractual integrity when accepting an offer, making the deposit, and then bowing out because something better came along. But at the PhD level, this is considered a big no-no and came come back to bite you on the butt later on. But I still maintain that this is not an optimal thing to do when programs are cut back in size and people are waiting desperately to get off the waitlists and can't because someone is reserving multiple spots for themselves.

-The End-

Edited by flotsam

Hmmm...

I see on the "Results" board that perspective grad students are talking about putting down deposits on multiple schools with the intentions of reneging the contract later on and not attending. I understand there is a certain amount of insecurity and anxiety about waiting it out until the last possible moment to see if you are accepted off the waitlists but do you really have the money to forfeit for these deposits of acceptance and is that really fair to those who are waiting to get into the schools you really have no intentions of attending? Professionally, it looks bad to go back on an agreement (and I have no idea how well networked these programs are) but I would be more concerned about those poor folks who can't get off the waitlists because some people are double-dipping and, in some cases, triple-dipping.

Just my measly 2-cents.

(ten minutes later....) Okay, maybe it isn't as crucial at the Masters degree level to maintain some contractual integrity when accepting an offer, making the deposit, and then bowing out because something better came along. But at the PhD level, this is considered a big no-no and came come back to bite you on the butt later on. But I still maintain that this is not an optimal thing to do when programs are cut back in size and people are waiting desperately to get off the waitlists and can't because someone is reserving multiple spots for themselves.

-The End-

Yeah, I definitely agree. There are several people in my program who have literally no place to go yet. They are on waitlists (if that) and to think that people are purposely reserving multiple spots for themselves is very frustrating. I don't know. I am not claiming to know what the positions are like of those people putting down deposits at more than one place (whether Ph.D or Master's) so for all I know they have excellent reasons for doing so. But on the other hand, I would feel pretty bad knowing I was near the top of a waitlist and nothing could be done about it. Before applying this year, I never realized what an emotional roller-coaster this whole process would be. :(

Yeah, I definitely agree. There are several people in my program who have literally no place to go yet. They are on waitlists (if that) and to think that people are purposely reserving multiple spots for themselves is very frustrating. I don't know. I am not claiming to know what the positions are like of those people putting down deposits at more than one place (whether Ph.D or Master's) so for all I know they have excellent reasons for doing so. But on the other hand, I would feel pretty bad knowing I was near the top of a waitlist and nothing could be done about it. Before applying this year, I never realized what an emotional roller-coaster this whole process would be. :(

I actually entertained the thought of doing that for myself, but decided against it because it seemed like a bit of a selfish idea and also because I invested so much money already in the application process and housing deposit.

I can understand WHY people would do it; some grad programs notify extremely late compared to others and financial information doesn't come in until even later, and tuition money can create stressful situations.

Nevertheless, I still think it's unfair when so many people are still anxious about getting in