SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

someone posted in the results that they got accepted to UT via postal mail. There goes the statement they have on the site, which I posted earlier about the results being online!

Eh. I figure I'll hear when I hear...they've been taking their sweet time up until this point. What's a week or two more really going to do?

Got my call from MGH today :)

I asked about funding and they said that they have a very limited number of awards this year, which have already been sent out so... in other words, no funding for me.

Got my call from MGH today :)

I asked about funding and they said that they have a very limited number of awards this year, which have already been sent out so... in other words, no funding for me.

Are you sure that means no on funding? I was getting the impression that the funding awards would be in the acceptance packets. I didn't think the guy who called me knew much about my individual file, since he asked me where I went to school and whether I had done my prereqs.

Edited by tayfray

Has anyone who heard from MGH know anything about when we'll hear about potential funding? I was in the middle of a grocery store when I got my call, so between the noise and my happy dance, I did not catch everything that was said on the phone.

Hi I also heard via phone today that I got accepted, so exciting! I was surrounded by three eager, loud children so I also had trouble understanding everything she was telling me but she definitely did say that they were offering me a scholarship. She also said that the acceptance letter would tell me more about that so I guess we just have to wait for the letter! Good luck!

Ahhh all these MGH phone calls are making me go crazy!!! If I didn't already have 3 acceptances I would be going completely nuts right about now!

UT people --> I'm guessing decisions are slowly coming out for Austin since my classmate just received hers. Dallas - they have rolling admissions so I'm not sure how long after applications go in do they finally make the decision. Two of my classmates received acceptances in January, and another in Feburary....good luck!

Are you sure that means no on funding? I was getting the impression that the funding awards would be in the acceptance packets. I didn't think the guy who called me knew much about my individual file, since he asked me where I went to school and whether I had done my prereqs.

Hmm, good point! I'm not sure then. I asked her about funding and after giving me that bit of information, she gave me a number I could call regarding financial aid. Considering my track record with funding, I'm not expecting to get anything in that packet but I'd love to be surprised!

Are you going to their open house and/or Emerson's meet-and-greet?

Hmm, good point! I'm not sure then. I asked her about funding and after giving me that bit of information, she gave me a number I could call regarding financial aid. Considering my track record with funding, I'm not expecting to get anything in that packet but I'd love to be surprised!

It looks like people have gotten their awards by phone, but I'm still going to hope for something in my letter!

I'm pretty certain I'm not going to be able to make the trip out there. It's a pretty long way, and I'm still working and taking classes.

Has anyone heard from Georgia State University? I had an interview 2 weeks ago and am waiting on pins and needles to hear back from them. Unfortunately, my application was not very impressive. I am an out-of-field applicant with a 2.96 undergrad overall GPA (3.57 in major) and a 3.8 gpa in my postbacc classes. My GRE score is embarrassing at 950. I had a great essay and three strong recommendations (even though the application only required 2). I also have experience interning under an SLP. I am so nervous. I don't have a plan b...I'm 28 and older than most other students I saw at the interviews. This is what I want to do with my life and I'm starting to feel like I don't have a chance of getting in.

I signed up for March 30th! Did you?? Would be cool to know someone :)

I emailed Emerson and they said they hadn't decided on any merit aid awardees yet.. :) Unless its just their way of saying I didn't get any :) lol :)

Has anyone heard from Georgia State University? I had an interview 2 weeks ago and am waiting on pins and needles to hear back from them. Unfortunately, my application was not very impressive. I am an out-of-field applicant with a 2.96 undergrad overall GPA (3.57 in major) and a 3.8 gpa in my postbacc classes. My GRE score is embarrassing at 950. I had a great essay and three strong recommendations (even though the application only required 2). I also have experience interning under an SLP. I am so nervous. I don't have a plan b...I'm 28 and older than most other students I saw at the interviews. This is what I want to do with my life and I'm starting to feel like I don't have a chance of getting in.

Don't be so down! I didn't have the most impressive stats either but somehow managed to make it to 1 school.. still waiting on another one! Just the fact that you got an interview means you were/are totally being considered for it! You'll make it!

It's only Tuesday, I hope everyone hears some good news this week!

Waiting for Bloomsburg results to come out is agonizing.. Last time I asked them they said they were only getting 28 applicants this year!

I'm worried because I completed my application last December but I changed addresses and I emailed them about it and got no confirmation so now I am not sure if they received it or not. I sent in another email but once I completed my app its like they just stop corresponding with you. Not a good sign. And it doesn't help that they don't have some kind of internet portal or something for us to check. So yeah, if anyone hears from Bloomsburg, let me know! Coz I'll probably have to call then.

The tuition there would be so much cheaper than Emerson, and judging by how impressive all your stats are, I highly doubt I'll be considered for merit aid.

Hey Tpatoati- I agree with Messybrownhair- stay positive and have faith in yourself. I'm an older student too, 29. You are by no means a not impressive applicant. It sounds like you've done really well both in your major and in the post-bas classes, 3.8 is great! And...being an older student often means you are way more prepared and ready to study and excel in classes (for me anyway!) and admissions committees knows that. The worst case scenario is that you don't get into a program that you're happy with this year. If that's the case, get involved in some research studies study your tail off and retake the GRE's (I did, my initial scores were low). You're motivated and you know what you want- you will get in. It's just a matter of when.

I am waiting on GSU. I did find out their spring break was last week, so that is probably delaying decisions. I had my interview 2 weeks ago too and I check their website and my email way too many times a day. Was that the only GA school you applied to? Also your are not that much older than me, so do not worry about that. I am just wondering how they are going to let us know... postal? phone calls? Good Luck!

You are not alone! I am also 28 and this is what I want to do with my life. Did you apply to more than one school? Your post-bac gpa is really important, and it's really good, so hang in there.

I made the mistake of applying to 1 school last year and didn't get in, so this time I applied to 5. I never thought I looked older than any other student until I attended some open houses.....

I hope you get in!

You are not alone! I am also 28 and this is what I want to do with my life. Did you apply to more than one school? Your post-bac gpa is really important, and it's really good, so hang in there.

I made the mistake of applying to 1 school last year and didn't get in, so this time I applied to 5. I never thought I looked older than any other student until I attended some open houses.....

I hope you get in!

Stephpop - I applied to some of the same schools you did -- Towson, Loyola, Gallaudet , and a few other schools as well. Do you know when we should be hearing back from Gallaudet?

I will probably be going to MGH's open house.

Just wondering, is anyone else planning on going to U Wisconsin Madison's open house? I'm flying out from Philly for it! That's my number one school now! My sister-in-law went to undergrad there and she loved it, so I'm excited to see Madison!

I hope you get in!

Me too.. I'm an intl student, and I only applied to 1 school last year. I was naive and I was in a bubble that SLP was such an unknown and specialized field. Boy was I wrong lol! Needless to say I got rejected and so I worked as an SLPA for over a year and this time I got in! I don't have impressive stats but I think my SLPA experience helped a lot, plus the rec letters and statement that I worked for months on!

For those waiting for a response from Bloomsburg, they replied to my email!

Hi, so far we haven’t heard anything from the department regarding admissions yet, so they must still be reviewing the files. This year we had more applicants than ever, so it will probably take them a little longer than usual to go through them. Hope to have more news for your soon.

Got the call from MGH today and I couldn't be more excited!!!!

(Unfortunately, I can't attend the accepted students reception, so I won't be meeting any of y'all quite yet...)