Official HKS Thread

Okay, anyone in the same situation?

I applied to HKS MPP and haven't heard anything yet. When I check my embark status, it says "thank you for applying to the MPA program" !! What is that? I remember checking the box "do you want to be considered for the MPA2" but I didn't think it would automatically change my application which is originally to the MPP... I don't have the credentials to be considered for the MPA2, I checked this stupid box thinking it was a formality.

Anyone with the same problem? Thoughts?

Post the yay-HKS euphoria... I am now trying to figure out how I would fund this US$85k tuition bill, not to mention living and relocation costs.

I saw somebody else post that financial aid decisions will be made on 1 April 2011. Does anybody know about financial aid stats for MPP students at Harvard? How do they assess financial aid? What % of MPP students receive aid? Does it tend to be skewed towards domestic and students from developing countries? Size of aid package? Any information?

I GOT IN OHMIGOD. Not expected at all. Of course, all the schools I got into have the same accepted students weekend.

3.5 GPA, architecture school

650V 750Q 4.5W (Guestimate, I can't remember)

2 years work experience in community development, in the middle of a year of volunteering/internship in Haiti now.

No academic background in economics, politics, and nearly a decade since I did calc/stats in high school. However, I argued that I learned from real-life application in my various jobs.

Hope that helps someone!

Edited by StellaHaiti2

Got my admittance email yesterday. Still in shock.

GRE: 770Q, 670V, 4.0AW

GPA: 3.25 (Electrical engineering at a large public school)

Work Experience: 2 years as a technology consultant, 1.5 years as an engineer, 6 months of political campaign work, plus some volunteer activities.

No economics background but I had a pretty math-heavy undergraduate major.

I think every admitted Aermican student had a 1400 composite GRE or higher. Can anyone refute this?

Got my admittance email yesterday. Still in shock.

GRE: 770Q, 670V, 4.0AW

GPA: 3.25 (Electrical engineering at a large public school)

Work Experience: 2 years as a technology consultant, 1.5 years as an engineer, 6 months of political campaign work, plus some volunteer activities.

No economics background but I had a pretty math-heavy undergraduate major.

I heard from ksg graduates that only around 15-20% of international students get funding from the school. So candidates are encouraged to look for resources outside the school. Besides WWS, which offers almost all of its students with funding, I heard the most reasonable program for international students is mpp at GSPP, they offer student a variety of resources like TA and teaching positions for undergrads. A friend of mine who graduated from GSPP last year said that two years study and accomodation only cost her around half the tuition. She worked in a teaching program for undergrads...though. Btw, it seems students from GSPP and SAIS have greater chances of earning their tuition back by getting into organizations with better pay, like the world bank or even ibanks. two friends graduated from GSPP, both offered internship position at the World Bank after their first year. And two of my friends graduated from SAIS are working in Morgan Stanley ... On the contrary, KSG graduates seemed to have fewer chances of getting opportunities in these areas. instead, most of the KSG people go back to work for government in their countries or in non-profit organizations...One reason for this difference is probably that MPP at KSG is less quant oriented than the ones in GSPP and SAIS. At KSG, people are encouraged to become reformist and activist in political events rather than in research or business field.

I applied to HKS MPP and haven't heard anything yet. When I check my embark status, it says "thank you for applying to the MPA program" !! What is that? I remember checking the box "do you want to be considered for the MPA2" but I didn't think it would automatically change my application which is originally to the MPP... I don't have the credentials to be considered for the MPA2, I checked this stupid box thinking it was a formality.

I heard from ksg graduates that only around 15-20% of international students get funding from the school. So candidates are encouraged to look for resources outside the school. Besides WWS, which offers almost all of its students with funding, I heard the most reasonable program for international students is mpp at GSPP, they offer student a variety of resources like TA and teaching positions for undergrads. A friend of mine who graduated from GSPP last year said that two years study and accomodation only cost her around half the tuition. She worked in a teaching program for undergrads...though. Btw, it seems students from GSPP and SAIS have greater chances of earning their tuition back by getting into organizations with better pay, like the world bank or even ibanks. two friends graduated from GSPP, both offered internship position at the World Bank after their first year. And two of my friends graduated from SAIS are working in Morgan Stanley ... On the contrary, KSG graduates seemed to have fewer chances of getting opportunities in these areas. instead, most of the KSG people go back to work for government in their countries or in non-profit organizations...One reason for this difference is probably that MPP at KSG is less quant oriented than the ones in GSPP and SAIS. At KSG, people are encouraged to become reformist and activist in political events rather than in research or business field.

Post the yay-HKS euphoria... I am now trying to figure out how I would fund this US$85k tuition bill, not to mention living and relocation costs.

I saw somebody else post that financial aid decisions will be made on 1 April 2011. Does anybody know about financial aid stats for MPP students at Harvard? How do they assess financial aid? What % of MPP students receive aid? Does it tend to be skewed towards domestic and students from developing countries? Size of aid package? Any information?

Does anyone know if checkng the mpa2 box (consider if eligibible) excluded you from the MPP if you did not meet the mpa2 requirements?? Thanks a lot

Seriously, only the both of us??? :lol:

Talk about misfortune!

What do you think it means? They considered us for MPA only so if we don't get in we're screwed for the MPP even if it was our first choice? That's a non sense. They haven't gotten back to me yet. That's torture looool

I had the same thing happen to me and just noticed the change in my SPARKs account. I e-mailed the Admissions Office and here is what they said:

"If you did not meet the requirements for the MPA2 program, you were considered for the MPP program. If you did meet the requirements for the MPA2 program, you were considered for that program. All applicants are only considered for one program."

This leads me to believe that if we haven't heard from the MPP admissions results by now, we were probably considered for the MPA2. I guess we will have to wait another week for the result? Not sure if our changes are better under the MPA2 process?? Is there anyone who has been through the same situation?

Confused.

Original Message:

Hi - Im in the exact same situation. I applied to the MPP program, yet no word so far. My SPARKS acct also says MPA - though I specifically applied for MPP. I called HKS and was given the same response. Looking at your experience, I guess we were considered for MPA - though I'm not remotely qualified for that as well.

I guess this means - at least for me - a reject from MPP. Oh well...

I had the same thing happen to me and just noticed the change in my SPARKs account. I e-mailed the Admissions Office and here is what they said:

"If you did not meet the requirements for the MPA2 program, you were considered for the MPP program. If you did meet the requirements for the MPA2 program, you were considered for that program. All applicants are only considered for one program."

This leads me to believe that if we haven't heard from the MPP admissions results by now, we were probably considered for the MPA2. I guess we will have to wait another week for the result? Not sure if our changes are better under the MPA2 process?? Is there anyone who has been through the same situation?

Confused.

Original Message:

Damn... I dont feel qualified on the academic side either, so I dont know what to think. But after reading that other people that checked the box and were not deemed qualified were moved back to the MPP application, I really dont believe that when they make their MPA decision they can argue that we were not qualified enough for the program.

I think its absolutely ridiculous. I cant believe they simply decided to consider us for the MPA. The lady I spoke to told me that she didnt think I was even considered for MPP! I didnt spend $100 and countless hours so I could be considered for the wrong program. Apparently, they have no feedback system either. This is so frustrating. I really would have preferred an outright reject. It really bothers me that I wasnt considered for the MPP program.

Damn... I dont feel qualified on the academic side either, so I dont know what to think. But after reading that other people that checked the box and were not deemed qualified were moved back to the MPP application, I really dont believe that when they make their MPA decision they can argue that we were not qualified enough for the program.

Sorry to hear that!!!

I don't have a GPA since I studied at a peruvian university, but majored in economics...

GRE: 800 quant / 580 verb / 3.5AW and got 108 in the TOEFL....

My background is mainly financial (ING's pension funs, Citibank working with derivatives and BBVA's pension fund in Peru)....and I'm a CFA charterholder....

In for MPA/ID!!!!!

GRE: 780V 780Q

Undergrad: 3.4 GPA - Journalism at top public school

Grad: 3.8 GPA MBA - Finance at top public school

8 years management-level international development experience in 20+ countries

EDIT: Waitlisted last year due to missing multivariable calculus requirement. They didn't take anyone off the waitlist last year, but suggested I take the calculus prereq and reapply.

Edited by DCA-John