Official HKS Thread

Financial aid

I've tried logging into MYFAID account, but all I can see are Home, Apply Online and Forms tabs. I was expecting the Harvard FInancial Aid packages and fellowships info to come out today 1 April.

Can anyone else see their package??

They meant Boston´s April 1... If you`re in Australia or something you have to wait a little bit more...

Financial aid

I've tried logging into MYFAID account, but all I can see are Home, Apply Online and Forms tabs. I was expecting the Harvard FInancial Aid packages and fellowships info to come out today 1 April.

Last year's forum suggested that people were waiting until about 5p Boston time...I'm anxiously waiting! Fingers crossed for all of us!

Financial aid

So.... I got my Financial Aid email a few minutes ago (about 10:00am EST). Here's the email:

Congratulations on your admission to the Harvard Kennedy School of Government!

Financial aid decisions are available on the HKS MYFAID website at https://portal.ksg.harvard.edu/NetPartnerStudent. As a reminder, your login ID is: XXXX.

The Accept Awards tab provides a list of the financial aid and/or loan financing options for which you are eligible. Awards can be accepted or declined on the Accept Awards tab. If you do not have access to the Accept Awards tab, we were unable to offer you assistance. You are strongly encouraged to review the Messages tab of the MYFAID website as it contains important information regarding your assistance.

The deadline to accept or decline any assistance is April 15, 2011.

All fellowship decisions have been made. If you applied for a fellowship and do not see a fellowship award on the Accept Awards tab, you were not selected as a recipient.

Please note: all available resources (scholarships, fellowships and grants) have been awarded. We are unable to accept requests for reconsideration prior to the April 15th response deadline.

I'm confused though. I went to MYFAID and I have an "Accept Awards" tab. Then I see a list of terms and conditions that starts with:

The expected contribution reflected above is not an amount that must be paid out of pocket. Any loan eligibility amount allows students to borrow to cover an expected contribution.

But there is no award "above" as indicated. Then after the list of terms and conditions, there's a box you can tick that says "I agree to these terms and conditions" and a button to click that says "Submit." Do you think I have to click this to see my financial aid package? By clicking it, am I accepting a financial aid offer (that I don't see)?? Does anyone else have this?

Edited by mmac06

No award tab either. But the site is confusing: "if you do not see a fellowship on the awards tab you were not selected as a recipient".

I assume no tab means no scholarship though.

Got the e-mail... No awards tab... :S

So.... I got my Financial Aid email a few minutes ago (about 10:00am EST). Here's the email:

I'm confused though. I went to MYFAID and I have an "Accept Awards" tab. Then I see a list of terms and conditions that starts with:

But there is no award "above" as indicated. Then after the list of terms and conditions, there's a box you can tick that says "I agree to these terms and conditions" and a button to click that says "Submit." Do you think I have to click this to see my financial aid package? By clicking it, am I accepting a financial aid offer (that I don't see)?? Does anyone else have this?

I have the same thing. I'm going to click it!! In my Messages tab there was some info about the Taubman Center Fellowship, so I'm hoping that is what I got!

UPDATE: YEEEES. TAUBMAN CENTER FELLOWSHIP! Click it and it will outline what you have got, you accept it later.

Edited by StellaHaiti2

I get the sense that we all might be waiting for the Web site to update--similar to the acceptance email and waiting for SPARKS to add the "New Admits" tab.

I'm going to take a deep breath and return to this site in an hour or so.

I have the same thing. I'm going to click it!! In my Messages tab there was some info about the Taubman Center Fellowship, so I'm hoping that is what I got!

UPDATE: YEEEES. TAUBMAN CENTER FELLOWSHIP! Click it and it will outline what you have got, you accept it later.

Awesome! Congrats!!

I just got a bunch of loans. Meh--time to let go of this particular dream. Best of luck to everyone! :)

Congrats!

I clicked it and received an *amazing* :rolleyes: financial aid package consisting of Direct Sub. Stafford Loans ($8,500), Direct Unsub. Stafford Loans ($12,000), and GRAD Plus or Private Loan Eligibility ($48,925). I feel like they held the carrot in front of my face with the Accept Awards Tab and then yanked it away and slapped me with it.

Congrats!

I clicked it and received an *amazing* :rolleyes: financial aid package consisting of Direct Sub. Stafford Loans ($8,500), Direct Unsub. Stafford Loans ($12,000), and GRAD Plus or Private Loan Eligibility ($48,925). I feel like they held the carrot in front of my face with the Accept Awards Tab and then yanked it away and slapped me with it.

Ugh, yeah. I still have to borrow a lot too since it is not a full fellowship with a stipend or anything like that. They suggest we need $25k a year for living expenses.. F THAT I am going to bring a crock pot and have no furniture! FYI I am looking for roommates, I can't afford to live in Harvard housing.

I got the same as mmac--loans, loans, and more loans! There will definitely be a spot opening up at HKS for someone on the waitlist.

Thanks everyone for all the support throughout this crazy process...CMU, here I come!

Congrats!

Yup - same thing for me too. Time to put that MBA in finance to good use and calculate the NPV on this - aka "what bridge will we be living under after I graduate since we'll be too broke to pay rent or eat?"

In all seriousness, though, does it make sense to pay full price? $40k a year? Combined with the foregone income by not working for the next two years, the total cost of this would buy you a 1-bedroom condo in DC.

I would certainly be making more after graduating than I do now, but I'm not certain it would be enough to cover the cost of attendance. Is the intangible value of the Harvard brand and the potential opportunities that could come from that worth it?

In all seriousness, though, does it make sense to pay full price? $40k a year? Combined with the foregone income by not working for the next two years, the total cost of this would buy you a 1-bedroom condo in DC.

I would certainly be making more after graduating than I do now, but I'm not certain it would be enough to cover the cost of attendance. Is the intangible value of the Harvard brand and the potential opportunities that could come from that worth it?

Excellent question DCA-John!! This thought has been rolling around in my mind for the last couple of hours - especially since I imagine I'll be going into non-proft work. I'm interested in hearing people's responses!

I have spoken with a couple of alumni, and their opinion is that it is worth it (of course, it'll always depend on the job you want later)....

Excellent question DCA-John!! This thought has been rolling around in my mind for the last couple of hours - especially since I imagine I'll be going into non-proft work. I'm interested in hearing people's responses!

Hello everyone!

I'm really excited to be joining the Kennedy family, I got a great financial aid package yesterday. Full tuition, plus a $10k stipend. The remaining $19k or so for living expenses, etc., will be via loans. I guess I got really lucky as a PPIA Fellow. Any other PPIAers out there? Anyone else set on going? I'll be spending my first year at law school, pursuing the joint JD/MPP, but Harvard after that.

Congratulations to everyone who was blessed enough to even get into such a fine institution in the first place! I'm sure you all deserve it, and I look forward to meeting you :)

So I am in a bit of a dilemma... I really want to do MBA/MPP dual degree...I got accepted into HKS MPP but I am wait listed at Dartmouth MBA ( Harvard and Dartmouth dual degree). My second option is UCLA MBA/MPP ( I have been accepted into both programs)...UCLA also offered bit scholarship ( which is next to nothing) ..but now I cant decided. I feel comfortable taking loans with a MBA degree vs MPP..but at the same time Harvard is one school that is recognized all over the world..

I am not sure if I should come to Harvard and apply for dual degree again ( end of this year) or just go to UCLA ...Any suggestions?

@Urbanwonk. A dual PhD at CMU will take you wonderfully far. Congratulations!

I got the same as mmac--loans, loans, and more loans! There will definitely be a spot opening up at HKS for someone on the waitlist.

Thanks everyone for all the support throughout this crazy process...CMU, here I come!