Official HKS Thread

1. As jkt0319 mentions, yes, try to get your recs in by the designated deadline, but I'm sure they understand that recommenders don't always get things in on time. 1 week after the deadline, and I think you're beginning to push it.

2. Just to make a correction, to jkt0319's response: No the resume/CV (or "Essay" 1) doesn't have an explicit word limit. (The 1000-word limit is for the personal statement, or Essay 3.) In general, I don't think your resume would exceed 3-4 pages, so I don't think you need to worry about keeping it short.

I don't think it matters whether they're double- or single-spaced as long as you abide by the guidelines stated on the application instructions, as long as it's legible. Since these admissions officers are reading hundreds of applications, though, I'd at least 1.5-space it to be more friendly on the eyes. That's just my opinion, though.

Woops! Thanks for the correction. As someone mentioned above, HKS doesn't have a page limit but most academic CVs for professional degrees I've seen are in the 3-4 page range. I've also kept mine in that range because another application limits it to 4 pages (I just can't remember which school).

As for the spacing, I was personally taught throughout high school to always make it doubled-spaced. That being said, I saw a friend's application (she is now at student at HKS) and she single-spaced her essay. I don't think they'll reject you simply because of spacing, but I like taking wins wherever I can find them. And HKS has a word-limit rather than a page limit (like Goldman) so it doesn't hurt to double-space in my opinion.

Hello seasoned HKS applicants,

My approach to the Resume / CV section is crafting a standard business one-pager that highlights professional accomplishments and leadership. What are our thoughts on this approach as opposed to a more detailed/academic CV? Frankly, I feel like anyone reviewing a resume glances at or uses a rubric to rate key achievements and then moves on, but this is a personal view.

Also, should salary information be included for every held position? For me, some positions lasted for a summer and others were part-time, so I imagine it would be awkward to detail these understandably modest salaries. Could this be more of an expectation for the mid-career MPP?

Anyway, this is my first post, but I've been lurking in the shadows for a bit of time. Good to feel like part of the dialogue! Best of luck to all!

Edited by 12WardP

hey 12WardP! ok so some people have been talking about submitting 3-4 page resumes and others will be doing onepagers. I'm sure it doesn't really matter - do what you are most comfortable with but make sure it's clear and there is no extraneous info on there. but also that you don't leave out any important stuff. that's my take on it.

Admissions indicated it was optional.

Thanks! Darn, reading thru the last few pages of this thread, I realized my essays were all single-spaced. They didn't indicate anywhere if they required it different, so I think I'm fine... I mean it's not a college paper, single spaced just looks better to me generally. Although one of my schools does require double spacing. So I don't know. Hopefully it's not a big deal.

Good luck to everyone. On to the other schools...

Oh, by the way, does anyone know what HKS's admission rate is these days? It used to be 30%, but I'm pretty sure Chicago and GPPI currently stand at about 15%, so I can imagine HKS's is probably around 10 or even less. I hate how screwed our generation is haha.

Oh, by the way, does anyone know what HKS's admission rate is these days? It used to be 30%, but I'm pretty sure Chicago and GPPI currently stand at about 15%, so I can imagine HKS's is probably around 10 or even less. I hate how screwed our generation is haha.

Where did you get this information? Unless things have changed drastically over the past year or two, I'm sure Chicago (Harris) and GPPI don't have admit rates of "about 15%". Petersons.com includes admit rate info for a good number of the schools they report on, and, while their data's usually not completely up to date, they provide a good benchmark. No data for GPPI, but they list 60% for the Harris school, which seems about right.

According to this, 21% for HKS, which, again, seems accurate.

Does anyone have a class profile for MPP students at HKS? Average GPA, GRE scores, etc. I found this (http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/admissions/overview/class-profiles) which gives all the basic statistics but it does nothing for those of us sitting on pins and needles.

I guess it really doesn't matter since I submitted my application on Wednesday...but I like torturing myself...

Where did you get this information? Unless things have changed drastically over the past year or two, I'm sure Chicago (Harris) and GPPI don't have admit rates of "about 15%". Petersons.com includes admit rate info for a good number of the schools they report on, and, while their data's usually not completely up to date, they provide a good benchmark. No data for GPPI, but they list 60% for the Harris school, which seems about right.

According to this, 21% for HKS, which, again, seems accurate.

Oops, my bad, I was looking at applied and enrolled figures and completely ignored the obvious fact that the number of people who chose to attend is lower than those who were admitted. This is why I got 160 on Q haha.

But the information for Harris is here:

http://harrisschool.uchicago.edu/students/prospective-students/admission/

It says they received over 900 applications and the entering class was 135-140, so that's 15.5% of all who applied ended up attending. Now I don't know what Harris's yield is but it's gotta be pretty low if they admit 60% and only 15% choose to attend... That or the admit rates have gone down a lot. If undergrad admission rates are any indication (not sure if they are), Chicago now has an 18% undergrad admission rate compared to 27% before the recession hit.

For GPPI, I found this:

https://gushare.georgetown.edu/PublicPolicyInstitute/Web%20Files/Admissions/Fall2010MPPClassProfile.pdf

It says 1167 applications received, 152 enrolled. It is for 2010 though.

It think you're right, but I also think admit rates have gone down significantly. HKS is probably at 17-18% this year. That figure of course is derived from a careful analysis of my gut feeling.

Hey folks,

Do you have any idea about when the admission committee starts to review the applications?The semester is almost over, but the faculty should be busy with the classes and finals, I believe. My GRE score hasn't arrived yet, so my application is incomplete right now. Any ideas about the incomplete applications? How are they treated?

I got my SPARKS access already. I submitted my application around mid-November.

I see, thanks.

Can I get people's opinion on listing other schools you are applying to in your application? I did it for HKS and now as I am completing applications for other schools, I am starting to question whether I should list them or not.

I mean, it can do one of several things, it can motivate them to offer you funding if they think you are very competitive and want to win you over, but it can just as easily motivate them not to offer you funding if they see your schools (e.g. HKS) and decide well if he's applying there he must not be expecting a scholarship, which for HKS I am very unlikely to get one, so he can afford to pay the full cost, so we won't give him anything. And if I do list schools, should I list weaker or stronger programs or ones of about the same level or all of the above... If I don't list any, I'm not sure if that benefits me either.

I can't decide... After weighing all the pros and cons I've decided that listing schools of about the same level of prestige as the one I'm applying to is probably the best approach. But I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Edited by MartianQ

I see, thanks.

Can I get people's opinion on listing other schools you are applying to in your application? I did it for HKS and now as I am completing applications for other schools, I am starting to question whether I should list them or not.

I mean, it can do one of several things, it can motivate them to offer you funding if they think you are very competitive and want to win you over, but it can just as easily motivate them not to offer you funding if they see your schools (e.g. HKS) and decide well if he's applying there he must not be expecting a scholarship, which for HKS I am very unlikely to get one, so he can afford to pay the full cost, so we won't give him anything. And if I do list schools, should I list weaker or stronger programs or ones of about the same level or all of the above... If I don't list any, I'm not sure if that benefits me either.

I can't decide... After weighing all the pros and cons I've decided that listing schools of about the same level of prestige as the one I'm applying to is probably the best approach. But I'm not sure. Thoughts?

I feel like a lot of what happens in the admissions committee is a complete mystery. We probably won't know exactly how they're going to use the information we give them. The best move on our part might be to be as honest and straightforward as possible without trying to second-guess what the committee might do with that information.

Has everyone got their SPARKS access? I submitted my application on December, 2nd and still hasn't got my access code. Any body like me??? Or should I be worried?

I got my SPARKS access already. I submitted my application around mid-November.

Has everyone got their SPARKS access? I submitted my application on December, 2nd and still hasn't got my access code. Any body like me??? Or should I be worried?

Didn't get mine either.

I wouldn't worry. I applied an hour or so before the deadline and got my SPARKS account just now. I think they issue your SPARKS account in the order that they process the applications.

• 2 months later...

March 1st is so close, anybody heard back beforehand I'm just curious?

I wish, but I think they ask all applicants to fill out fellowship applications specifically so that they can release financial aid info with or soon after admissions results. Otherwise they'd wait for admissions results to be released and then ask admits to submit applications.