Official HKS Thread

Im sorry you were rejected by the KSG....

Policyposter,

I think you are right to express a lot of concerns about the value of paying so much for an MPP, Harvard be damned. It's a decision I'm currently struggling with. However, the Public Service Loan Forgiveness and IBR are the only things that make the thought palatable. I'd encourage you to read up more on these programs. Read all the links that mmac helpfully posted.

My best understanding, after reading up on the programs and talking to a friend who is currently relying on PSLF+IBR to pay off his law school debts, is that:

- Interest seems to not really matter. You make the income-based repayment, which should always cover the interest payment at the very least, and is likely paying off some principal. Once you've made your 120 payments your principal and interest balance is forgiven.

- Limiting your career options is certainly a concern. However, the key is that you make 120 qualifying payments, but they don't have to be consecutive. You can still jump into the private sector for a couple years and come back. This extends the amount of time you're paying off your loans but theoretically the increase in income is worth it. You could possibly find yourself in a situation where you'd like to leave your well-paying government job for a similarly paid consulting job, but your financial incentives wouldn't allow you, even if that private job provides services to governments.

- You can't ever "stop qualifying" for IBR, as far as I understand it. Your payment just eventually reaches normal levels at higher incomes, at which point it doesn't matter.

[Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these, guys!]

I think your concerns about the Harvard MPP vs MPA vs MC/MPA are largely unfounded, though. The differences are mostly related to whether you're 22-27 years old, 30-35 years old, or older, and of course your previous studies and career experience. MPP is most certainly a terminal policy degree. You'd be really strange to get a HKS MPA degree if you already held an MPP... the MPA is basically the same experience, minus the core curriculum. Maybe you would get an MPP from a different school and one day get an MC/MPA to hone your executive skills, but I think even this would be strange.

In sum: financial concerns, completely valid, but make sure you study IBR and PSLF to decide if it's worth it. Worries about which HKS degree you get, well.. if you want to go to grad school now, get the HKS degree that's appropriate for your stage in life and don't look back.

They are terrible. I don’t know of any other degree program at HKS, Harvard, orany other university that requires you to incur so much debt (because of thelack of Financial Aid and the high costs of tuition) and then gives you solittle earning potential. The return on investment is by far the worst I’veseen. MPAs and MPA-IDs incur the same debt but have higher earning potentials.That’s a fact; which means employers generally consider MPPs less valuable totheir organizations. Denying that is nonsense.

I don't think people who want to go into Public Service really care about return on investment. The people that come to KSG I would have thought are hear for the greater good; they want to learn how to do more good i.e. better in a bigger way. Otherwise why would they bother incurring such a large debt? Because the pay off is the intangible of affecting the world more profoundly.

I give up my weekends doing pro-bono consulting because I want the charities who I work with to succeed - be they the Asylum Seeker Center, or the advocacy group for Women's rights. I started my own Charity in the Phillipines, because I wanted to give hope to those who have no opportunities. Personally for me it's about bettering the world for those around me - when sit I down and reflect on what I'm most proud of in life, what is significant, it's not the 140k debt from HKS, it's the lives I have changed.

That I would be bold enough to say is why most us come to HKS. It is not a question of what's in it for me, but fundamentally a question of what can I do, and how can I do it better?

And i think that's the point you miss about all this.

If we wanted to make money, if it were about dollars and cents - then yes, we'd all go and get a MBA.

Edit: For spelling.

Edited by HumbleBee

HumbleBee, I don't know if you are a guy or a gal, but let me say this: you are my hero/heroine for what you said below! Life shouldn't always be about what it is in for me at all times. Sometimes we need to make sacrifices for the benefit of man kind and the greater good. Although I did not get into HKS I will be matriculating at a school that gave me a full ride, thus debt is not an issue when i grafuate. However, when I look back at where I am today, I am glad I quit my Wall Street life two years ago and decided to go back to my country and make an impact in the lives of the rural people who are marginalized in our society in W. Africa. Do I regret making such a transition? Of course I enjoyed the money and material things that came with working at a prestigious bank but if I had to make this transition again, I will do it in again and again and again! I think if folks in our society started this idea of dropping the attitude of me, me, me and me alone, I really think our world might just a little bit better :)

I don't think people who want to go into Public Service really care about return on investment. The people that come to KSG I would have thought are hear for the greater good; they want to learn how to do more good i.e. better in a bigger way. Otherwise why would they bother incurring such a large debt? Because the pay off is the intangible of affecting the world more profoundly.

I give up my weekends doing pro-bono consulting because I want the charities who I work with to succeed - be they the Asylum Seeker Center, or the advocacy group for Women's rights. I started my own Charity in the Phillipines, because I wanted to give hope to those who have no opportunities. Personally for me it's about bettering the world for those around me - when sit I down and reflect on what I'm most proud of in life, what is significant, it's not the 140k debt from HKS, it's the lives I have changed.

That I would be bold enough to say is why most us come to HKS. It is not a question of what's in it for me, but fundamentally a question of what can I do, and how can I do it better?

And i think that's the point you miss about all this.

If we wanted to make money, if it were about dollars and cents - then yes, we'd all go and get a MBA.

Edit: For spelling.

Edited by abogs78

HumbleBee, I don't know if you are a guy or a gal, but let me say this: you are my hero/heroine for what you said below! Life shouldn't always be about what it is in for me at all times. Sometimes we need to make sacrifices for the benefit of man kind and the greater good. Although I did not get into HKS I will be matriculating at a school that gave me a full ride, thus debt is not an issue when i grafuate. However, when I look back at where I am today, I am glad I quit my Wall Street life two years ago and decided to go back to my country and make an impact in the lives of the rural people who are marginalized in our society in W. Africa. Do I regret making such a transition? Of course I enjoyed the money and material things that came with working at a prestigious bank but if I had to make this transition again, I will do it in again and again and again! I think if folks in our society started this idea of dropping the attitude of me, me, me and me alone, I really think our world might just a little bit better :)

I cannot applaud this sentiment enough. I have recently done the exact same thing and will be starting my new position soon, giving up higher pay and prospects to do a job I have a strong passion for and that my academic career prepared me for before I aimed for banking.

Does anyone know what is the deadline for submitting your decision if admitted to the MPA2 program? I've been waitlisted, and I would like to know by when I can expect to hear some news. Thanks!

Hi grc,

The decision deadline for HKS MPA2 program was 15th April. You will probably hear from HKS admissions office this week as they are pretty strict about not extending the acceptance deadline, I tried, unsuccessfully :-(.

All the best

Does anyone know what is the deadline for submitting your decision if admitted to the MPA2 program? I've been waitlisted, and I would like to know by when I can expect to hear some news. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Do you know to what extent an acceptance is binding? Can you accept another school's offer after you've accepted HKS and paid the deposit? Do you only lose your deposit or is there anything else?

It's certainly not polite, and you are going to want to tell them you are not coming so they don't start charging you tuition. You'll lose the deposit for sure. Other than that, I don't know, but I can't think of what other ramifications there would be except this: if you are planning on going into academia, you may not be so well looked upon by Harvard for turning down their offer. I think you can mitigate any consequences by giving a legit reason for the change. If you got a big scholarship somewhere else, you can be gracious and tell HKS that ultimately it ended up being a less financially viable option (or whatever the reason is).

Hi guys,

Do you know to what extent an acceptance is binding? Can you accept another school's offer after you've accepted HKS and paid the deposit? Do you only lose your deposit or is there anything else?

It's certainly not polite, and you are going to want to tell them you are not coming so they don't start charging you tuition. You'll lose the deposit for sure. Other than that, I don't know, but I can't think of what other ramifications there would be except this: if you are planning on going into academia, you may not be so well looked upon by Harvard for turning down their offer. I think you can mitigate any consequences by giving a legit reason for the change. If you got a big scholarship somewhere else, you can be gracious and tell HKS that ultimately it ended up being a less financially viable option (or whatever the reason is).

Oh. Tricky. Maybe you should just call HBS and ask what the protocol is in situations like yours? (though think long and hard about that, I imagine they could revoke your offer if they think you are trying to hold two places simultaneously). I really don't know what to tell you to do. Good luck!

What if the other school is HBS?

The situation is a little bit more complicated actually.

I got into the MPA/ID but I am thinking of deferring my admission for personal reasons. I have asked HKS and they have said that this is not a problem at all.

I do not have an offer from HBS, but there is a good chance that I can get one if I apply this year. I would probably choose HBS over HKS if admitted because I see my professional life more and more in the private sector (though I still aim for development impact). Can I apply to HBS? Should I ask HKS beforehand?

I'm sure they'll let me apply for the joint degree, but 3 years is too long and expensive.

I don´t think that it´s that big of an issue. I think you can go back without any mayor consequence (other than losing your deposit). Still i would talk to the people at hbs to make sure.

The situation is a little bit more complicated actually.

I got into the MPA/ID but I am thinking of deferring my admission for personal reasons. I have asked HKS and they have said that this is not a problem at all.

I do not have an offer from HBS, but there is a good chance that I can get one if I apply this year. I would probably choose HBS over HKS if admitted because I see my professional life more and more in the private sector (though I still aim for development impact). Can I apply to HBS? Should I ask HKS beforehand?

I'm sure they'll let me apply for the joint degree, but 3 years is too long and expensive.

I don´t think there is a problem if you defer at hks and then apply to hbs. I have friends that defered one year at more than one school in order to apply to other programs they found more attractive. Most schools will ask you to put down an other deposit if you want to defer. You have to be willing to lose that money. But other than that there should be no consequences.

Also, I think that when you apply to hbs they ask you if are a student at hks or are applying. Don´t lie about that. But i wouldn´t tell people at hks that you are defering only to try to pursue an other program. You would probably be denied your deferal.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all:

I just submitted my HKS application for September 2012. I have a question. I reviewed the pdf of my app again after I submitted, and I noticed that the form itself seemed pretty sparse (the form didn't show sections for prior academic institutions, GREs, etc, even though I know I filled in these details on the online application). Is that normal? I might be fretting about nothing.

Thanks!

Congrats on getting your application submitted. I'm a bit jealous because I'm still working on mine and hoping to get it all complete by early next week. I don't see much of a problem unless one of my recommenders fails to submit on time.

1. Does anybody know how strict they are with recs being submitted? The website does say all supporting materials need to be submitted by 2 December 5 pm, but was wondering if they were a bit lenient...

2. For the CV essay, did you submit 1 or 2 pages? I can't find anywhere whether there's a restriction to length for this.

Congrats on getting your application submitted. I'm a bit jealous because I'm still working on mine and hoping to get it all complete by early next week. I don't see much of a problem unless one of my recommenders fails to submit on time.

1. Does anybody know how strict they are with recs being submitted? The website does say all supporting materials need to be submitted by 2 December 5 pm, but was wondering if they were a bit lenient...

2. For the CV essay, did you submit 1 or 2 pages? I can't find anywhere whether there's a restriction to length for this.

I would try your best to get all your supporting materials in by 5pm if that's what they say...though you could always email Admissions and ask. They've been pretty responsive to my emails. As for the CV, the total length is not to exceed 1000 words, approximately 3 pages doubled spaced. I think the length requirement is in the online application, right underneath the prompt.

I'm applying to HKS as well for Fall 2012, so this application has been stressing me out the last month or so. Good luck!

I would try your best to get all your supporting materials in by 5pm if that's what they say...though you could always email Admissions and ask. They've been pretty responsive to my emails. As for the CV, the total length is not to exceed 1000 words, approximately 3 pages doubled spaced. I think the length requirement is in the online application, right underneath the prompt.

I'm applying to HKS as well for Fall 2012, so this application has been stressing me out the last month or so. Good luck!

so when I submit essays should I put them double-spaced or single-spaced on my word document and then upload it ?? Thanks!!

1. As jkt0319 mentions, yes, try to get your recs in by the designated deadline, but I'm sure they understand that recommenders don't always get things in on time. 1 week after the deadline, and I think you're beginning to push it.

2. Just to make a correction, to jkt0319's response: No the resume/CV (or "Essay" 1) doesn't have an explicit word limit. (The 1000-word limit is for the personal statement, or Essay 3.) In general, I don't think your resume would exceed 3-4 pages, so I don't think you need to worry about keeping it short.

so when I submit essays should I put them double-spaced or single-spaced on my word document and then upload it ?? Thanks!!

I don't think it matters whether they're double- or single-spaced as long as you abide by the guidelines stated on the application instructions, as long as it's legible. Since these admissions officers are reading hundreds of applications, though, I'd at least 1.5-space it to be more friendly on the eyes. That's just my opinion, though.

I don't think it matters whether they're double- or single-spaced as long as you abide by the guidelines stated on the application instructions, as long as it's legible. Since these admissions officers are reading hundreds of applications, though, I'd at least 1.5-space it to be more friendly on the eyes. That's just my opinion, though.

Thanks! trying to get things done by thxgiving....:S

I have the same issue..and I just called HKS and asked about it. they said they will not guarantee the application will be reviewed if it is not completed by Dec 2. ..i'm thinking about asking for someone else.. =(