Official HKS Thread

Perhaps you should use your acceptance to HKS as a strategy that will get Darmouth to take you off their waitlist. Reinforce your interest in the dual degree program. You never know that might be the thing that makes the MPP/MBA possible. I am using the same strategy at U Michigan as well. I got into Michigan's Ford School with funding and I used that in my update letter to Ross to get me off their waitlist. Hopefully that will work! Good luck!

So I am in a bit of a dilemma... I really want to do MBA/MPP dual degree...I got accepted into HKS MPP but I am wait listed at Dartmouth MBA ( Harvard and Dartmouth dual degree). My second option is UCLA MBA/MPP ( I have been accepted into both programs)...UCLA also offered bit scholarship ( which is next to nothing) ..but now I cant decided. I feel comfortable taking loans with a MBA degree vs MPP..but at the same time Harvard is one school that is recognized all over the world..

I am not sure if I should come to Harvard and apply for dual degree again ( end of this year) or just go to UCLA ...Any suggestions?

Hi-

I had to login to the SPARKS page to get redirected to the MYFAID page.

From there you can use your login to get to the cert form. Hope that helps.

If you still don't have access, maybe you could call or email them.

I had issues with my SPARKS page and the help desk person was really nice.

I am an international student too, although I already live in the US.

Same boat as you. :-)

Hi,

Has any MPA2 admitted student had access to the Financial Certification Form?

Im an international student and Im getting a bit nervous about the time it takes to process the visa etc...

thanks!

Hello All,

I applied to HKS, Woodrow Wilson, SIPA and Brown. Got accepted at HKS, SIPA and Brown with no awards at any of them.

I am leaning towards HKS (MPA2) but SIPA is an excellent school too. In a dilemma since I will have to get a private loan either ways.

I am an international student, and have to get the loan/s and certifications soon. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey all,

Would love to get your advice on something. I got in at the MPA-ID and at Yale's MBA program. My career goals are to work in development, particularly education, but I also would like to be able to work in both the private and public sector. What're your thoughts of which degree would be better for career options but also in giving that flexibility?

Thanks!

hmm... well, after I finish, I'll have both the MPA/ID and an MBA. It's different skill sets. If I had to pick, the MPA/ID is definitely better for international development, but would still provide enough flexibility to cross over to the private sector (if you were focusing on emerging markets)

Got my admission package this weekend. Does anyone's official admission letter (MPA/ID) say "admission is conditional upon successful completion (grade of B or better) of an additional university-level course covering multivariable calculus."? That sounds a bit weird. It wasn't on my e-mail admission letter.

Do they send this to all students or does it mean the info or the grades on my transcript are insufficient?

Edited by k.03

@ Maidinindya2: I think exactly the same as DCA-John, if you want to work in development and education, probably the MPA/ID will be a better fit, and still will open doors in the private sector.

@ k.03: unless I have overlooked that detail, my admission letter didn't say that. So, I recommend you write them right away and make sure if you have to take an extra course.....good luck with that!!

I've called them and apparently this means my background has been deemed insufficient. I'm very surprised since I had large number of very quantitative classes, including all calculus and algebra classes taught in the 1st year of the BSc in Mathematics at my university (I have also taken a number of stat, econometrics, physics classes etc, all requiring multivariable calculus).

Do those of you who got into the MPA/ID without this extra requirement have extremely quantitative backgrounds? Could this be a mistake? I know that I haven't given a lot of details in my application about this, but I definitely mention multivariable calculus.

Got my admission package this weekend. Does anyone's official admission letter (MPA/ID) say "admission is conditional upon successful completion (grade of B or better) of an additional university-level course covering multivariable calculus."? That sounds a bit weird. It wasn't on my e-mail admission letter.

Do they send this to all students or does it mean the info or the grades on my transcript are insufficient?

In my case, I have done a lot of math work and emphasized it in the application.

Probably they thought you did it long time ago, or it wasn't sufficient, probably you should have made more emphasis on it, I don't know what might have happened. But they thought you were a strong candidate and admitted you (with that condition), compared to other people how might have had the math background they wanted but lacked other things.....

If I were you, I wouldn't think too much about it and just take the class in the summer anywhere to comply with it..... you might not be the only one....

Good luck!!

I've called them and apparently this means my background has been deemed insufficient. I'm very surprised since I had large number of very quantitative classes, including all calculus and algebra classes taught in the 1st year of the BSc in Mathematics at my university (I have also taken a number of stat, econometrics, physics classes etc, all requiring multivariable calculus).

Do those of you who got into the MPA/ID without this extra requirement have extremely quantitative backgrounds? Could this be a mistake? I know that I haven't given a lot of details in my application about this, but I definitely mention multivariable calculus.

It's not about being the only one, it just means that I'll have to cancel my holidays and that of my fiancée to study. The fact that I'm leaving for two years is putting so much strain on this relationship already; I had promised that I would build something with her during the summer. I don't think I can go through this.

:-( :-(

In my case, I have done a lot of math work and emphasized it in the application.

Probably they thought you did it long time ago, or it wasn't sufficient, probably you should have made more emphasis on it, I don't know what might have happened. But they thought you were a strong candidate and admitted you (with that condition), compared to other people how might have had the math background they wanted but lacked other things.....

If I were you, I wouldn't think too much about it and just take the class in the summer anywhere to comply with it..... you might not be the only one....

Good luck!!

Here's what I've covered, excluding advanced statistics & econometrics courses. I just have a hard time believing that most admitted candidates have gone further. What do you think?

BSc in Physics, year I – Differential and integral calculus

Real and complex numbers, sequences and series, single variable real functions, differential equations, R^n Euclidean space, multivariable real functions, implicit and inverse functions, curves, surfaces and vectorial analysis.

BSc in Physics, year I – Linear algebra and geometry

Structured sets, isomorphisms, automorphism groups, orbits, stabilizers, lateral classes, normal subgroups, vectorial spaces and fields, linear systems and transformations, matrices, eigenvalue, determinants, diagonalization and triangulation of linear operators, dual spaces, Euclidean spaces, quadratic forms, conic and quadratic sections.

BSc in Business Engineering, year I – Mathematics I

Radix, real series, single variable real functions (limits, continuity, derivative, extrema, concavity), integration, complex numbers, vectorial spaces, matrix calculus, linear systems.

BSc in Business Engineering, year II – Mathematics II

Linear algebra, multivariate functions, differential equations and applications. (can't find the detail of this course but it was extensive)

It's not about being the only one, it just means that I'll have to cancel my holidays and that of my fiancée to study. The fact that I'm leaving for two years is putting so much strain on this relationship already; I had promised that I would build something with her during the summer. I don't think I can go through this.

Check if you can do an online course or something that will be more flexible and allow you to travel!

Check if you can do an online course or something that will be more flexible and allow you to travel!

http://www.is.lsu.edu/coursefactsheet.asp?nid=301&Rubric=MATH&CourseNr=2057&Version=O

As I understand it, the key concepts they expect you to know prior to the start of the program are partial differentiation, lagrange multipliers and double and triple integrals

I can do that, but I'll have to study (it will be too late to accept other school offers, so failing the course (less than B) means all my admissions are wasted... so I can't take the slightest risk). I'll have to cancel plans for that I guess. Plus how do the exam work with these online courses? Can I take them from anywhere in the world?

http://www.is.lsu.ed...=2057&Version=O

As I understand it, the key concepts they expect you to know prior to the start of the program are partial differentiation, lagrange multipliers and double and triple integrals

Ok thanks, that's very good to know. I think I've seen all of this, I'll try to get my professor to confirm that.

Edited by k.03

Why don't you talk (email or phone) with the school and explain with them with more detail the courses you have done and the book you used for those courses? Ask them if they would accept an online course, or if you can take it during the first semester as you already had plans for the summer. Show that you are interested in the program and all that, but you want to know if there's an intermediate solution.....

They have removed the condition :-)

I've studied all that Lagrange multiplier stuff etc... but didn't realize they needed to know about it in such detail.

Yay !

Why don't you talk (email or phone) with the school and explain with them with more detail the courses you have done and the book you used for those courses? Ask them if they would accept an online course, or if you can take it during the first semester as you already had plans for the summer. Show that you are interested in the program and all that, but you want to know if there's an intermediate solution.....

Did others who rsvp'd for the MPP new admit day get a more detailed schedule -- or know where I can find it in Sparks? I only saw the 8am - 6pm info in Sparks and haven't received any additional info on where to go once I get there. Thanks!

They have removed the condition :-)

I've studied all that Lagrange multiplier stuff etc... but didn't realize they needed to know about it in such detail.

Yay !

Glad to hear! Enjoy your summer, and I look forward to meeting you and all the other MPA/ID students on the board here in the fall.

Hey all,

So I thought I had bowed out of this whole HKS thing after receiving nothing but loans (thanks! B)) However, since then I've been talking to a number of older relatives, mentors and supervisors--really intelligent, accomplished, educated and non-crazy people--whose judgment I respect tremendously. And they've all urged me to consider going the Harvard route--particularly a few HKS alums who've told me that they still benefit a lot from their connections/experiences 15+ years after receiving their degrees, and that there's "no substitute" for the name recognition (though of course they'd say this, wouldn't they?)

Thing is, I also have two fairly great packages lined up--Duke has offered me about 70% tuition both years, and my state school (a well respected regional program) has given me more or less a full ride. When I've given the numbers to my mentors, the response has been, "These are all great options, BUT if you choose HKS it'll be SO worth it and you'll figure out how to make the money work even if you're not making bank right after your graduation." The fam is willing to help out but I would feel pretty bad taking a lot of their money since they already supported me through undergrad and aren't, you know, wealthy. HKS would almost certainly mean a six-figure loan and fairly substantial payments even if I take advantage of IBR/PSLF, and yet my thoughts are drifting more and more towards Cambridge again as I've gotten all this assurance/encouragement.

Am I completely batsh*t insane for even considering HKS at this point? Anyone else thinking of biting a similar bullet?

(If it helps, my intended field is international economic development policy)

Thanks!

Hey all,

So I thought I had bowed out of this whole HKS thing after receiving nothing but loans (thanks! B)) However, since then I've been talking to a number of older relatives, mentors and supervisors--really intelligent, accomplished, educated and non-crazy people--whose judgment I respect tremendously. And they've all urged me to consider going the Harvard route--particularly a few HKS alums who've told me that they still benefit a lot from their connections/experiences 15+ years after receiving their degrees, and that there's "no substitute" for the name recognition (though of course they'd say this, wouldn't they?)

Thing is, I also have two fairly great packages lined up--Duke has offered me about 70% tuition both years, and my state school (a well respected regional program) has given me more or less a full ride. When I've given the numbers to my mentors, the response has been, "These are all great options, BUT if you choose HKS it'll be SO worth it and you'll figure out how to make the money work even if you're not making bank right after your graduation." The fam is willing to help out but I would feel pretty bad taking a lot of their money since they already supported me through undergrad and aren't, you know, wealthy. HKS would almost certainly mean a six-figure loan and fairly substantial payments even if I take advantage of IBR/PSLF, and yet my thoughts are drifting more and more towards Cambridge again as I've gotten all this assurance/encouragement.

Am I completely batsh*t insane for even considering HKS at this point? Anyone else thinking of biting a similar bullet?

(If it helps, my intended field is international economic development policy)

Thanks!

I asked myself the same thing, but am still going to HKS. Duke is not in the same league, and your state school is probably not going to get you a job focused on international issues. Bottom line, if you want to work at the Bank, the IMF or any of the think tanks or NGOs in DC working in this area, it's HKS hands-down. And, if you do wind up at the Bank, salaries are tax free (or tax equalized for US citizens/permanent residents), so you could easily be making the equivalent of a 6-figure gig coming out of the program

I have to make a similar choice between funding at Duke, or accepting HKS without any assistance. And to make it worse I am an international student with no co-signer option :( So basically a huge loan will result. BUT, though I haven't spoken to many "experts" just mere observation makes me consider HKS very very seriously. Things seem to have changed since I got my admit to HKS. I feel I am suddenly taken more seriously by everyone, particularly my current and several potential employers. It is a great brand, and the fact you that you become associated with it changes things because people start believing that something must have really set you apart to have been given this opportunity. This belief (true or not!!) opens many doors. I absolutely loved everything I learnt about Duke, and the program sounds awesome, but HKS (I believe) would just leave me with more options later. If you are looking to focus on international issues, I think HKS would do the same for you.

I am very sure about HKS, I am only considering whether I should defer my offer or take it up this year. I have three options:

Defer: apply to scholarships I missed out on this year and work an additional year to save some funds. I have also found a relevant job that will help me build contacts for when I join HKS next year (impact assessment development work)

Defer: all of the above, but stay in my current job (which is anything but relevant btw) which will pay twice the salary of the more relevant job

Accept the offer: apply for whatever scholarships available and depend on loans.

I have to decide something over the weekend. Not sure what to yet.

I asked myself the same thing, but am still going to HKS. Duke is not in the same league, and your state school is probably not going to get you a job focused on international issues. Bottom line, if you want to work at the Bank, the IMF or any of the think tanks or NGOs in DC working in this area, it's HKS hands-down. And, if you do wind up at the Bank, salaries are tax free (or tax equalized for US citizens/permanent residents), so you could easily be making the equivalent of a 6-figure gig coming out of the program