Counselling Psychology 2023-2024 Apps (CANADA)

djungelskog

12 minutes ago, Cowsheepwow said:

Their unofficial acceptance! It comes up as "invited". I haven't seen anything change in mine yet though

I saw something on Reddit, too, now. Some Master of Teaching prospective students have heard through ACORN, and I saw one post about being invited through Acorn to the MED counselling program. But everywhere else, I hear that notifications won't go out until early April. I'm unsure what the time delay is between Acorn being updated and the SGS admissions site being updated. I have to stop checking these sites!! 

Edited by Fullofhope

Is anyone aware of/able to tell me the differences between UBC M.Ed in Counselling Psychology VS. U of T M.Ed in Counselling and Psychotherapy. If not, I would appreciate any sort of information you know about either (or both) program(s). Thank you in advance :)

21 hours ago, Fullofhope said:

I saw something on Reddit, too, now. Some Master of Teaching prospective students have heard through ACORN, and I saw one post about being invited through Acorn to the MED counselling program. But everywhere else, I hear that notifications won't go out until early April. I'm unsure what the time delay is between Acorn being updated and the SGS admissions site being updated. I have to stop checking these sites!! 

Based on previous years, an invited status with a deposit amount on Acorn means you have been accepted. The delay between Acorn and SGS portal is usually 2-3 days, while people getting waitlisted may hear back in a week. I saw on Reddit too MEd Counselling applicants have started seeing the invited status on Acorn since yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, Psychology2018 said:

Based on previous years, an invited status with a deposit amount on Acorn means you have been accepted. The delay between Acorn and SGS portal is usually 2-3 days, while people getting waitlisted may hear back in a week. I saw on Reddit too MEd Counselling applicants have started seeing the invited status on Acorn since yesterday. 

Right! Quite a few students have heard back and I’m starting to stress out as I feel like it’s a rejection. Does u of t send out more acceptances? 

4 minutes ago, Psychology2018 said:

Thanks! And for those who are rejected, we probably have to wait until May and June. I'm starting to lose hope as this week is drawing to a close and knowing that only 35 people get in.

6 minutes ago, Fullofhope said:

Thanks! And for those who are rejected, we probably have to wait until May and June. I'm starting to lose hope as this week is drawing to a close and knowing that only 35 people get in.

Same here bud! Toronto was my last hope and I’m super bummed without even receiving any official info. Like the more people saying that they’ve been invited, I’m feeling the pain of rejection kicking in. 

Hello :) I'm wondering if anyone has insight into whether McMaster Psychotherapy or OISE Counselling Psychology is the better program. Also, is there any significance to the McMaster program being a MSc and OISE being a ME.d? 

I'm feeling that pain too. I wonder how much time people who are offered an invitation have to accept or decline. It would be so painful to be on the waitlist for an entire summer, just hoping someone declines.

18 hours ago, psych0logy said:

Hello :) I'm wondering if anyone has insight into whether McMaster Psychotherapy or OISE Counselling Psychology is the better program. Also, is there any significance to the McMaster program being a MSc and OISE being a ME.d? 

Hey! I got into the McMaster program this year, and I'm still waiting to hear back from OISE - I checked ACORN and nothing, so I had my hopes up for UofT because I got into McMaster - I'm curious for this answer as well if anyone knows.

18 minutes ago, Cowsheepwow said:

I have, I've been accepted! I have another friend who's been accepted but another who's heard nothing yet

Thank you! Could I ask if you and your friends are domestic or international applicants? I'm still waiting to hear back as well. 

59 minutes ago, ashreve said:

Thank you! Could I ask if you and your friends are domestic or international applicants? I'm still waiting to hear back as well. 

Domestic applicants and we are all current Laurier students! I spoke to an academic advisor for the program and she said they were hoping to finish up notifying people of decisions soon but didn’t give me a date 

34 minutes ago, Cowsheepwow said:

Domestic applicants and we are all current Laurier students! I spoke to an academic advisor for the program and she said they were hoping to finish up notifying people of decisions soon but didn’t give me a date 

I hope they finish notifying people soon too hahah. Thank you very much for your insight! 

On 3/28/2024 at 6:32 PM, Cowsheepwow said:

I have, I've been accepted! I have another friend who's been accepted but another who's heard nothing yet

Hello, I've applied as well. Could you share your stats? It's getting really stressful for me to predict if ill get in, as i haven't heard back yet  :(

Anyone hear back from uManitoba’s MEd Counselling Psych yet?

The program starts next month and I haven’t heard back. I’m assuming it's a rejection for me at this point.

Anyone here who can help me with figuring out whether I should apply to Adler uni in Vancouver? If anyone knows about the uni pls do dm! I’ve heard really mixed reviews and I’m feeling super unsure about it cos I’m an international student 

Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone but I applied to OISE MA counselling and clinical psych at U of T last year and received a rejection letter on April 12th. I’m assuming it’ll be a similar timeline this year as well. I haven’t heard anything so I’m anticipating another rejection 

On 3/30/2024 at 1:46 PM, sm.sm said:

Hello, I've applied as well. Could you share your stats? It's getting really stressful for me to predict if ill get in, as i haven't heard back yet  :(

Yes definitely! All three of us have heard back now, my friend got their acceptance on Friday.

I have an. 11.9/12 GPA (I guess thats a 3.9 or 4ish on a 4 point scale?), and around 3500 hours of paid experience, and less than 1000 hours of unpaid experience. Most of my experience comes from music therapy placements, being a personal care worker for an older adult with dementia, volunteering with a crisis text line, and working with children with autism. I applied right after undergrad and didn't take any time for extra work experience in between. I figured this would mean I wouldn't get in to anything I applied to so I was very grateful to be accepted to Luther! 

Have you heard back yet? 

On 3/27/2024 at 2:38 PM, djungelskog said:

@psych0logy did you receive an official offer from the OISE program? And I'm pretty sure someone asked the same thing as you last year! check the 2022-2023 board :)

I just received my official acceptance a few hours ago :)

22 hours ago, psych0logy said:

I just received my official acceptance a few hours ago :)

Wow... congrats! I don't get reply so I think I'm not selected.

Can I ask you (and anyone who got into OISE), if you received the email from the department like Feb or March about suggesting you for applying for OGS (Ontario Graduate Scholarship)?

I applied for OISE Counselling psych and MSW at UofT, then I received the suggestion email for OGS in MSW but didn't receive anything similar from OISE... 

Edited by counsellingapple

On 4/3/2024 at 9:24 PM, Cowsheepwow said:

Yes definitely! All three of us have heard back now, my friend got their acceptance on Friday.

I have an. 11.9/12 GPA (I guess thats a 3.9 or 4ish on a 4 point scale?), and around 3500 hours of paid experience, and less than 1000 hours of unpaid experience. Most of my experience comes from music therapy placements, being a personal care worker for an older adult with dementia, volunteering with a crisis text line, and working with children with autism. I applied right after undergrad and didn't take any time for extra work experience in between. I figured this would mean I wouldn't get in to anything I applied to so I was very grateful to be accepted to Luther! 

Have you heard back yet? 

Heya, I just got an unofficial acceptance via a meet with the advisor. She said I'll recieve the official email soon, didn't give a date tho just said sometime before april end. I will most probably be accepting since I'm fresh out of undergrad too and didn't expect getting in lol. Also because I'm interested in philosophy (in addition to psych) to a great degree and the courses in this program match my interests. We have the same stats essentially, although i have much less experience, only a couple of months in a clinical hospital setting. Is there any whatsapp group where the class of 26 could connect?