Interview dress code

nyc_commuter

Any suggestions on what is appropriate for a psychology phd interview? I am getting conflicting responses from people around me. Some say business casual and some say to definitely wear a suit. Some say that it depends on the type of school (private vs. public). Is this true? Any ideas?

There is no way in hell I am wearing a suit to an interview. No way... and I like wearing suits.

I am thinking of all the academic conferences I've been to, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone in a suit.

In my early interviews I kept it relaxed: Dark denim jeans, nice looking patterned oxford and a nice looking tie and good shoes- in another I wore khakis a nice dress shirt and a camel sweater. These were early meetings so I didn't want to go too far. With more formal, post application interviews, I'll probably do the same and just add a blazer.

I remember last year people in the social science and humanities saying that they felt over dressed with a suit.

it might be different for business school- in fact, I am sure it is.

If you are a man then just make sure whatever you wear fits really well. You'll look a million times better underdressed with clothes that fit properly than you will compared to most men who wear suits that haven't been tailored, etc.

Edited by musicforfun

I currently work for a really good psych professor and she said DEFINITELY wear a suit. She expects it, and I've heard her comment on how poorly some people were dressed even as far as 5 years back.

That being said, it probably depends on the school. So why not just call and ask and relieve all the anxiety? ;)

Being overdressed is ALWAYS preferable to being underdressed, in any situation! My very Southern, society driven, Emily Post loving garndmother has made this clear to me since birth.

I would suggest a suit, especially if it fits correctly, as pointed out by the previous poster.

I will have to agree with most here. From my experiences interviewing last year, pretty much everyone wore a suit. If you don't, it really will not be the end of the world. But remember, you can always take the jacket off if you feel overdressed...but if you feel under-dressed there is no remedy for that. Good luck!

I've heard conflicting views on this issue also, but it seems that being overdressed is better than under dressed. I've heard that for clinical psychology it is very important to look your best though.

I didn't own a suit but I luckily had one given to me so I'll be wearing a suit to my interviews. Even if you are overdressed, I don't see how this could be a problem. I have heard that being overdressed could be bad but I don't understand how. Why would professors think poorly of applicants who take the interview seriously?

Not everyone wears a suit (especially the girls). However, it depends if you are going to clinical or experimental psychology interviews. I found that for most of my fellow female interviewees at Indiana 2 years ago for the cognitive program were wearing nice dress slacks, pretty, bright cardigan sweaters, and draped cashmere/printed scarves. I wouldn't suggest wearing a skirt in the winter, especially if it goes above your knee at all. I say, "wear your Sunday best" For the men, most of them were wearing blazers, tucked-in dress shirts (no wild colours, Euro-trash stuff) and dress slacks with nice loafers or shoes. I think most psych professors are extremely casual, but you will want to dress up at least 5 notches higher than them, but by no means do you have to wear a blazer if it makes you comfortable.

Also some other do's/don't's:

1) No khaki. It looks too casual/hanging at the clambake.

2) No stilettos. If you like to wear heels though and your walking around outside, I suggest wearing kitten heels or stacked wedges for women. I've seen some ugly/matronly shoes though at interviews, so again, do what makes you feel comfortable, but be warned that you will be on your feet in those all day.

3) Bring a small satchel for papers, your wallet, phone, handouts you get throughout the interview and a notepad/Moleskin to take notes. This way the satchel frees your arms when you are being introduced/greeted by faculty/students.

The best advice I've gotten is to dress like a high school teacher. So a suit isn't necessary, but men should wear nice slacks (i hate that word, makes me sound like my grandmother...) with a button up and either a tie or sweater (or both). Women can wear dress pants and a blouse, skirt and a blouse, or a dress. The other important part of the "school teacher" advice concerns your shoes: you'll be in them all day going from office to office, possibly building to building. Make sure they're comfortable!

I'd do a search of the forum from last year. The consensus in the post interview period was that suits for men were too much.

This isn't meant to come off as bad, but blazer and nice slacks, even matching, isn't the same as a suit. Raised by women, I've had that driven into my head.

Do you I guess, but I have zero concerns that a nicely tailored blazer, good pants (no khaki), great fitting shirt and tie and sharp shoes is going to look less than professional. I think if you can manage to match, and if you get real daring and use a pattern, you are going to be miles ahead of anyone I've ever seen at conferences. Another fun fact from the lovely women who raised me: There's nothing worse on a man than a poor fitting suit. So if you go with one I'd find a good tailor.

EPA, SRCD....I've never seen a suit ever at these conferences.

Maybe it is just me, but I look really greasy in my blue or gray suits. But I'm also 6'4 and pretty skinny so I'm just never comfortable standing out like that.

I guarantee it won't be the deciding factor.

I wouldn't, however, roll in with a sweater vest and oxford.

Edited by musicforfun

• 2 years later...

I've worked in psychology with several interviews, presented conferences, teach... and I can tell you, if you want to come off as professional an knowledgeable BEFORE you speak, looked tailored and professional. Sunday best as another person has stated, or a suit. I've worn suits to group interviews with other interviewees wearing jeans... I got the position over them every time. And my interviewer was in torn jeans. I've heard people say "oh, you were the one in the suit!" And, it has never gone over poorly. 

So if you have one, wear it. If not, dress like you're giving a formal presentation or going to church. It will help more in the long run.

I was wondering what you guys would consider appropriate for a post-acceptance visit? I'll be visiting a program in about a week to check it out before making my decision (they didnt hold interviews) and so it's just going to be me, as I am the one who requested the visit.

I guess my biggest concern is the drastic weather difference since the program is in Texas and I am currently in upstate NY, and typically in that type of weather I wear shorts and a polo/nice t-shirt (this only happens during the summer, but even my department was relaxed enough to not care when I was an intern).

I was wondering what you guys would consider appropriate for a post-acceptance visit? I'll be visiting a program in about a week to check it out before making my decision (they didnt hold interviews) and so it's just going to be me, as I am the one who requested the visit.

I guess my biggest concern is the drastic weather difference since the program is in Texas and I am currently in upstate NY, and typically in that type of weather I wear shorts and a polo/nice t-shirt (this only happens during the summer, but even my department was relaxed enough to not care when I was an intern).

I would go nice-casual for this.  Since you've already been accepted, you don't need to really dress up nice, but it's always good to make a good first impression.  Casual is fine, but make sure you look presentable, e.g. no holes or frayed ends, etc.  As for shorts, I probably wouldn't recommend it because you'll likely spend a lot of time indoors, and while it may be hot in Texas outside, it will be cool inside.  Wearing light pants would be better so that you both don't need to worry about seeming underdressed and won't be cold inside.  Polo or nice t-shirt would be fine.  

Where are you visiting in Texas?  Just curious because I'm in Houston and know the social psych professors at Rice very well, if that happens to be the place.

sdt13, I did a one-man post-acceptance visit earlier this month. Dressy made sense.

light-pink-oxford-men-dress-shirt-short-

(found by google image searching "short sleeve business casual")

That said, for official recruitment weekends when you're not the only attendee, check your invitation for a dress code. One of mine specified casual, so I showed up in jeans and my college hoodie. In retrospect, looking at what others wore, this may have been too casual - if I could do it over, I'd at least pick a collared shirt, like a polo.

I had one post-acceptance visit this year, and I saw people wearing everything from bright red jeans to a formal suit. Personally I wouldn't go with either of those extremes - I wore dark jeans, a formal-ish blouse and a nice sweater. 

My policy is usually to avoid a full suit if it's not necessary, because I find formal wear really uncomfortable (and you usually have to be there all day). But obviously if it's a real interview you'll have to dress up a bit.