2024 Application Thread

dr. t

19 minutes ago, historianmusicologist118 said:

Thank you! This is so unexpected as Northwestern and Chicago rejected me quite bluntly lol

Congrats!! And yes, the process can be pretty arbitrary. 

1 hour ago, Aishaaa said:

I'm not sure about the current situation at Johns Hopkins, but I can share my experience with NYU. Last year, I applied to that and they announced acceptances and rejections in early February. After a radio silence, I received an acceptance in APRIL, but unfortunately, it did not come with funding. So, it really depends

Thanks! And I'm sorry you were put through that. NYU really shouldn't be making unfunded offers. 

3 hours ago, Aishaaa said:

I'm not sure about the current situation at Johns Hopkins, but I can share my experience with NYU. Last year, I applied to that and they announced acceptances and rejections in early February. After a radio silence, I received an acceptance in APRIL, but unfortunately, it did not come with funding. So, it really depends

That is very strange... are you talking about the PhD programme? NYU history has never accepted students without funding except for the MA. I am a graduate and had some insight into the admissions process last year. Just for anywhere who is on here and considering attending NYU, it is important to know that the NYU graduate school of arts and sciences offers the exact same package (a MacCracken Fellowship) to all students: https://as.nyu.edu/departments/hebrewjudaic/graduate/resources-for-current-students/phd-financial-aid.html

Edited by OHSP

15 hours ago, OHSP said:

That is very strange... are you talking about the PhD programme? NYU history has never accepted students without funding except for the MA. I am a graduate and had some insight into the admissions process last year. Just for anywhere who is on here and considering attending NYU, it is important to know that the NYU graduate school of arts and sciences offers the exact same package (a MacCracken Fellowship) to all students: https://as.nyu.edu/departments/hebrewjudaic/graduate/resources-for-current-students/phd-financial-aid.html

Yes, I applied to the Ph.D. program, and then in April, they accepted me as an MA student without funding.

OOO we're playing my favorite game called "others have gotten acceptances and rejections, and my portal is still empty." I'm not too anxious because I have options, but can anyone explain to me why this happens? It just seems like a really strange thing for most official emails to go out at once, and then a few trickle in a few days later. 

5 minutes ago, confusedmedievalist said:

OOO we're playing my favorite game called "others have gotten acceptances and rejections, and my portal is still empty." I'm not too anxious because I have options, but can anyone explain to me why this happens? It just seems like a really strange thing for most official emails to go out at once, and then a few trickle in a few days later. 

Same here! I am just confused about the whole thing. I am assuming they're rejections but why wait? 

Is it weird to email my POI to inquire about when to expect to hear back from them? We spoke back in October and I have seen acceptances from the program but have not heard back. I honestly just want to know if I got rejected or put on a waitlist or something 

23 hours ago, ndoco2024 said:

I wish schools would send rejections out first tbh, or at least at the same time as acceptances go out

If you applied to Wisconsin, you might have just gotten your wish :)

So with a rejection from Wisconsin, a de facto rejection from Columbia, and a likely rejection from Johns Hopkins, I am down to three programs. I probably should have applied to many more. I received conflicting advice on that question. 

9 minutes ago, obk90 said:

So with a rejection from Wisconsin, a de facto rejection from Columbia, and a likely rejection from Johns Hopkins, I am down to three programs. I probably should have applied to many more. I received conflicting advice on that question. 

Maybe this is just my first rodeo, but this year seems particularly hard, I gasp just looking at the qualifications and achievements some history rejections have. Let’s get through this, and remember rejections are just redirections !! :)))

Edited by modernhist123

5 minutes ago, modernhist123 said:

Maybe this is just my first rodeo, but this year seems particularly hard, I gasp just looking at the qualifications and achievements some history rejections have. Let’s get through this, and remember rejections are just redirections !! :)))

I could be wrong, but I think the people who resentfully list all their accomplishments in their rejection posts might have inadvertently revealed a toxic personality in their application statements.

24 minutes ago, obk90 said:

I could be wrong, but I think the people who resentfully list all their accomplishments in their rejection posts might have inadvertently revealed a toxic personality in their application statements.

That’s what one of my mentors told me to be careful about in the SOP. But good thing I’m raised in a culture where you should always show up with a sense of humility and willingness to learn.