MFA 2011 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

wannaknow

Daniel - I am so glad to hear you got in!!

I didn't end up getting a call today...so I'm a little bummed. But am glad to hear at least one person I met yesterday made it! CONGRATS!!!!

I got the call at 4:40 EST, I'm in! It was so fun meeting so many people yesterday, now I'm curious who else got in.

Taken from the Columbia Visual Arts MFA section on the websiteL

Here's what the website states:

Admissions Policies

Notification of Admission

In most cases, official notification that a decision has been made will be delivered by e-mail. For security, such e-mail does not contain the decision itself however, decision information will be posted in the on-line application. Decisions are made and communicated during the months of March and April. Official decision notifications are made by the School of the Arts and not individual departments or programs. Only letters or e-mail sent directly from the School of the Arts may be considered official notifications of admission and financial aid. The Office of Admissions cannot give decision results over the phone.

It is important that you keep both your e-mail address and mailing address current by e-mailing us at admissions-arts@columbia.edu with "Applicant Address Update" in the subject line. Any changes necessary can be made from within your on-line application.

The School of the Arts regrets that due to the large volume of applications, we cannot provide individual explanations to those who are not admitted.

congrats on getting into SMFA guys, I got the acceptance call yesterday too. is anyone having to decide between SMFA and any other programs? I'm probably going to choose SMFA but haven't heard from back from 2 places yet and also haven't heard about scholarships or funding.

ps did I meet any of you guys at the all day interview??

I'm waiting to hear about scholarships/grants from SMFA next week and also waiting to hear back from two other schools.

So we shall see...... :)

congrats on getting into SMFA guys, I got the acceptance call yesterday too. is anyone having to decide between SMFA and any other programs? I'm probably going to choose SMFA but haven't heard from back from 2 places yet and also haven't heard about scholarships or funding.

ps did I meet any of you guys at the all day interview??

Tyler school of art sculpture ACCEPTED. BLAM!

waiting for financial aid!

no funding offer......second year full TAship.

Is it rude to ask if there is a way to receive full funding first year.

Edited by LeeP

On person on here said they got an email for an interview. I have not heard anything either way...

is anyone else still waiting on USC? any idea if they've made their choices yet?

Congrats!

How were you notified of acceptance? I am waiting to hear back from the painting department.

Tyler school of art sculpture ACCEPTED. BLAM!

waiting for financial aid!

no funding offer......second year full TAship.

Is it rude to ask if there is a way to receive full funding first year.

Via email from the head of sculpture. Official letter to be sent via snail mail.

Congrats!

How were you notified of acceptance? I am waiting to hear back from the painting department.

anyone else still not heard from Rutgers yet? Anyone else still not heard from Hunter yet?

And here's another question for everyone/ anyone, out of curiosity:

what is the largest amount of loans you would be willing to take out for school? As in the largest amount of debt you would be willing to take on before waiting another year and applying again to try and get a better deal? I'm just wondering what others would do. I feel like even if you get a huge scholarship, there would still be inevitable loans of some degree for living expenses, right? I mean, it would be hard to have more than a summer job if you had a TA position.

I think it depends on what kind of career you see for AFTER graduate school. I am a MASSIVE amount in debt from undergraduate, and because of this I wont be going to grad school unless i get it all paid for with a stipend. However, I will soon be a licensed teacher and will be able to have part forgiven by working in a public school. I think that it all somewhat evens out as long as I get a good deal for my MFA, whether that be now or later on. I think that if you REALLY want to go you should, and something like money shouldn't stop you if you cannot see yourself being happy elsewhere.

PS- I have not seen a single Rutgers rejection post yet, so there is a chance it could be good. Hang in there! Those admitted are supposed to submit a response by April 8th, I assume in order to quickly notify those waitlisted?

anyone else still not heard from Rutgers yet? Anyone else still not heard from Hunter yet?

And here's another question for everyone/ anyone, out of curiosity:

what is the largest amount of loans you would be willing to take out for school? As in the largest amount of debt you would be willing to take on before waiting another year and applying again to try and get a better deal? I'm just wondering what others would do. I feel like even if you get a huge scholarship, there would still be inevitable loans of some degree for living expenses, right? I mean, it would be hard to have more than a summer job if you had a TA position.