MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

jmcinn97

2 minutes ago, bookworm247 said:

Congratulations that is amazing news!! When did you receive the email? On my Acorn account it says "invited" but I still have not received an email. Wondering what this means!

I believe it is safe to assume that you have been accepted. I received my official email this morning. 

12 minutes ago, tiimhonks said:

CONGRATS!! Sorry if I missed it if you posted before what stream is it? 

Children and Families.

For everyone's benefit and anyone that is curious....I had very strong references and 8 years of work experience however my grades were not the best 😔....low B average. I hope this brings some hope to some of you 🙏🏼

28 minutes ago, sf291991 said:

I received an official email stating I was accepted into UofT MSW program. The acceptance letter is a total of 8 pages long. I have until June 1st to pay my deposit.

Good luck to everyone 🙏🏼

Just received mine too! YAY! Congrats! We are in the same stream. Looking forward to connecting with you :D

Edited by paulinababy

41 minutes ago, sf291991 said:

I received an official email stating I was accepted into UofT MSW program. The acceptance letter is a total of 8 pages long. I have until June 1st to pay my deposit.

Good luck to everyone 🙏🏼

I also just got my official email for the mental health and health stream! Good luck everyone :)

1 hour ago, sf291991 said:

Children and Families.

For everyone's benefit and anyone that is curious....I had very strong references and 8 years of work experience however my grades were not the best 😔....low B average. I hope this brings some hope to some of you 🙏🏼

Congratulations!!! If you don't mind can you share your last name. I also applied to that stream and I am feeling anxious. I did not hear back yet

1 hour ago, MSWtimeeee said:

I applied to children and families and my first stream and mental health and health as my second stream. I did not hear back and I am feeling worried

I'm in the same boat- just mental health and health was my first choice and then children and families. I'm a little disheartened- I really thought I had a strong application! :( 

Holding on to last hope that not all the admissions have been rolled out yet but maybe that's wishful thinking. 

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! :) 

33 minutes ago, tmce94 said:

I'm in the same boat- just mental health and health was my first choice and then children and families. I'm a little disheartened- I really thought I had a strong application! :( 

Holding on to last hope that not all the admissions have been rolled out yet but maybe that's wishful thinking. 

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! :) 

Hello there! I am also with you both. Feeling very discouraged but also holding on to hope as it is common for universities to send out acceptances on a rolling basis! I also applied to Mental Health and Health as my first choice and Gerontology as my second. If we do not hear today, I am sure we will hear tomorrow or in the upcoming week! :) 

I was accepted in the Leadership and Management stream at U of T...I emailed to ask if I'll hear about the Mental Health stream and they said if I had one offer I will not get one for the other.

Update... I got waitlisted... Second year now. 

3 hours ago, yenyyenn said:

For those who have been accepted to UofT Advanced Standing, have any applicants who applied for the Social Justice and Diversity stream heard back? 

Updated my account to waitlisted. My first year applying. 

Whats peoples experience with waitlist? does anyone have any idea how many they waitlist each year and what the chances are spots even open up?

congrats to everyone who got in!

2 hours ago, tmce94 said:

Also got waitlisted for UofT. 

For those of you who have got in, can you please share your stats for some insight? :) 

I have foreign BSW, second up, 83% gpa. With 5 years of full time international social work experience in the medical/health care field working for children with cancer and their families, and two years of full time research experience in Uni focusing mostly on family-centered practice (that's from almost 6 years ago). My references are a professor that taught me two courses during undergrad, post-doc fellow that supervised me when I worked in research and my direct manager when I worked as a social worker. Not sure if the references are considered as strong but they do write very nice things about me. However, I am sure most referees do try to write their best. 

It's my first time applying and I was in Health and Mental Health Stream. Hope it helps, and all the best! 

Edited by AliceK

10 minutes ago, AliceK said:

I have foreign BSW, second up, 83% gpa. With 5 years of full time social work experience in the medical/health care field working for children with cancer and their families, and two years of full time research experience (that's from almost 6 years ago). My references are a professor that taught me two courses during undergrad, post-doc fellow that supervised me when I worked in research and my direct manager when I worked as a social worker. Not sure if the references are considered as strong but they do write very nice things about me. However, I am sure most referees do try to write their best. 

It's my first time applying and I was in Health and Mental Health Stream. Hope it helps, and all the best! 

I admire your experience! I’m curious to know what type of practicum you’re hoping to get into during the program? :)

7 minutes ago, paulinababy said:

I admire your experience! I’m curious to know what type of practicum you’re hoping to get into during the program? 

Oh I am not sure if I am considered a very strong applicant, reading applicants background from last year, I consider myself pretty average. But the experience working in the paed onco field is definitely insightful and humbling. 

I am hoping to do my practicum in the hospitals or at least in a health care related position.

2 hours ago, tmce94 said:

Also got waitlisted for UofT. 

For those of you who have got in, can you please share your stats for some insight? :) 

It seems they consider folks with diverse experiences and backgrounds so definitely take my stats with a grain of salt 😃 I have a 3.7/4.0 GPA, almost 7000 hours of experience, mainly in research, community development, peer support, and group facilitation. Reading back on my application and knowing I wanted to do the social justice stream, I focused answering my questions in a way that made it seem like my life experiences led me to this field of study. I am especially passionate about macro social work, so i explained how graduate school would help me solidify these skills and gave concrete examples.

On the MSW application page, they say to explain how you would be a good fit for U of T’s program in particular. I read the specific course outlines and wrote how the program’s offerings would enhance my skillset and can be transferred back to my home community. I also shared personal details and how overcoming obstacles in my life brought clarity to my decision to pursue social work and what those lessons would mean for my future practice.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps!

Edited by msw1910

Waitlisted for social justice stream, advanced standing. Honestly super bummed but still praying. I’m kind of surprised I even made it this far. Wondering if anyone has any experience with waitlist? Do people actually get in from of it/how many do?

Edited by Mswdreamerr