MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2024

jmcinn97

6 minutes ago, sarahg141414 said:

Congrats everyone!

to those who got offers on ACORN, are you currently students at UofT for your undergrad? 

Thank you! I am not currently at UofT and wasn't ever at UofT- did my undergrad at Laurier.

2 minutes ago, Ekam said:

Thank you! I am not currently at UofT and wasn't ever at UofT- did my undergrad at Laurier.

I am also an applicant from another university, and I didnt know I could access ACORN! I have just been checking SGS - can you please provide some guidance? What logi info do I use for ACORN?

17 minutes ago, iceeee said:

Hey!! I'm in the same boat got invited from Acorn. I'd children and families your first option? Hoping got accepted to my 1st option. Fingers crossed. Thanks!!

Hey!! Looking forward to seeing you on campus if you're accepting the offer :) It was but for 2-year applicants it doesn't matter what we declare. We don't declare a stream until second semester of the program so that comes later.

2 hours ago, sara.roy91 said:

Waiting for a decision from Windsor's MSWwp program. The obsession is very real, waiting is agonizing.

Same, I just keep checking the portal every few hours lol.

24 minutes ago, sarahg141414 said:

I am also an applicant from another university, and I didnt know I could access ACORN! I have just been checking SGS - can you please provide some guidance? What logi info do I use for ACORN?

You should have gotten an email from UofT admissions with a join ID and directions on how to use that to activate your Acorn. And another with your student number on the same day. I got these emails on Dec 9. 

Email subject: Important: Your UofT JoinID

46 minutes ago, AspiringMSW1234 said:

Would you mind Sharing what type of experience you had?

Hey! I volunteered with a crisis line for a few hours a week for about a year and a half. Work full time at a group home for almost a year now. Was involved in a few clubs at school (one research one and one mental health one). Some part time experience in health care / admin during my undergrad. A little bit of experience as an instructional assistant at school (one semester). And about 2 years of experience researching in psychology labs at my school (including doing an honours thesis). Not sure which experience is relevant to them though.

I hope you hear back from them!!

27 minutes ago, Ekam said:

Hey! I volunteered with a crisis line for a few hours a week for about a year and a half. Work full time at a group home for almost a year now. Was involved in a few clubs at school (one research one and one mental health one). Some part time experience in health care / admin during my undergrad. A little bit of experience as an instructional assistant at school (one semester). And about 2 years of experience researching in psychology labs at my school (including doing an honours thesis). Not sure which experience is relevant to them though.

I hope you hear back from them!!

I really appreciate you outlining all of that :) Congratulations on your offer of admission - wishing you all the best! 

4 hours ago, Cowsheepwow said:

I haven't seen anything yet in ACORN for UofT 2 year MSW... anyone in the same boat? Do they send out admissions in waves?

Also, would anyone who's been accepted through acorn be willing to share their hours of experience/ stats? Thank you!

Same here... This gives me tremendous anxiety :( I hope it's not done by one day...

1 hour ago, KJLK0316 said:

Hey!! Looking forward to seeing you on campus if you're accepting the offer :) It was but for 2-year applicants it doesn't matter what we declare. We don't declare a stream until second semester of the program so that comes later.

Thank you so much for sharing this information. Yes, UofT is my first choice. My only concern is not being able to select the stream I want to focus on. I'm deciding between Ubco and UofT. If you've done some research between the two, can you please let me know😊 Thank you. Congrats again😊

1 hour ago, KJLK0316 said:

11 hours ago, iceeee said:

Thank you so much for sharing this information. Yes, UofT is my first choice. My only concern is not being able to select the stream I want to focus on. I'm deciding between Ubco and UofT. If you've done some research between the two, can you please let me know😊 Thank you. Congrats again😊

No problem 😊 I did look around the website and booklets for some extra information on declaring streams but I haven't found any information beyond the fact that we declare in second sem and then have to take the courses required for each stream. I did read that placements in healthcare settings are extremely competitive so im assuming students who want to pursue mental health and health or gerontology might not always a secure a placement in their desired setting. I didn't apply to any other MSW program lol so I had put all my eggs in one basket with UofT 💀 so unfortunately I don't know much about other programs except York! Imma just say that UofT is the number one school for MSW in Canada and is in the top 10 in the entire world so we're the school prominent institutions turn to when looking for new grads to hire! And if you want the clinical training and are willing to pass on a masters thesis then its a safe choice for sure ❤️ Best of luck making your decision though and congrats again to you too 🥰

58 minutes ago, KJLK0316 said:

No problem 😊 I did look around the website and booklets for some extra information on declaring streams but I haven't found any information beyond the fact that we declare in second sem and then have to take the courses required for each stream. I did read that placements in healthcare settings are extremely competitive so im assuming students who want to pursue mental health and health or gerontology might not always a secure a placement in their desired setting. I didn't apply to any other MSW program lol so I had put all my eggs in one basket with UofT 💀 so unfortunately I don't know much about other programs except York! Imma just say that UofT is the number one school for MSW in Canada and is in the top 10 in the entire world so we're the school prominent institutions turn to when looking for new grads to hire! And if you want the clinical training and are willing to pass on a masters thesis then its a safe choice for sure ❤️ Best of luck making your decision though and congrats again to you too 🥰

Thank you so much for sharing your insights!! It's very helpful! Yes, I agree UofT's ranking is hard to resist😊 And I'm in Toronto and love the city. It's a lot to consider but I think I'm gonna stay🥰 I look forward to seeing you in class. Thank you again for sharing. I appreciate your help🙏

Has anyone who accepted their offer for advanced standing MSW at UofT and paid their deposit/accepted invite gotten any emails from the school? I am looking at places to live and just want to be 10000% sure about being in before I commit to a place lol. 

Also, is this program 100% September-September? Thanks!

After multiple tries, I logged into ACORN yesterday and saw the coveted "invited". No official letter or SGS portal update. I'm still in a state of disbelief but I will be accepting!  Hope that opens up a spot or two at the numerous BSW programs I applied to as a backup plan. 

For folks that are still in the waiting game for any program (not just U of T), I am rooting for you.

My status on ACORN - UofT changed yesterday to invited and it’s asking me for a $500 deposit. I’m in shock and really hope this means I’ve been accepted! I’m still waiting to hear back from Laurier’s online part time MSW program as well  

Anyone have any insight on which school would be the better program? I know UofT is the #1 social work program in Canada and highly ranked school but do you think it will really make that much of a difference on my resume if it says one school vs.  the other? 

4 hours ago, iceeee said:

Thank you so much for sharing your insights!! It's very helpful! Yes, I agree UofT's ranking is hard to resist😊 And I'm in Toronto and love the city. It's a lot to consider but I think I'm gonna stay🥰 I look forward to seeing you in class. Thank you again for sharing. I appreciate your help🙏

Glad to help always and its so nice to connect with another student!! See you on campus 🥰

1 hour ago, jollyjellyfish said:

I haven't heard anything yet from uoft... does anyone know if it comes out in waves or do they just do one round of acceptance offers?

They come out in waves! In the fall 2023 cohort on grad cafe last year were getting offers sporadically if I remember correctly. Don't panic until mid April!! You got this im rooting for you ❤️