Fall 2024 PhD Religion!

survivedyesterday

8 hours ago, Barak said:

Have you received an interview invitation from UNC as well?

I had a brief interview (Hebrew Reading session) Last week and waiting for the result.

Uh oh did UNC already did interviews? Anyone had interviews with UNC in the Religion in the Americas track?

Just got an invite to interview at Northwestern. It will be next week. I applied for the American Religions area of study. Does anyone know what the "conversion rate" (sorry to use a law school admissions term!) is like for these interviews? Do they interview all candidates?

On 1/2/2024 at 12:24 PM, Joey-Jawad said:

Hello all. This is nerve wracking! 

Does anyone know if Emory 1) ever admits without interviews 2) What the relationship between interviews and Recruitment Week is? Is it that only those who were interviewed get invited to Recruitment Week?

Getting nervous because I feel like I should've gotten an interview request from Emory by now!

Hello there. I finished my PhD at Emory last fall. Usually, you will receive an email or call about getting an interview. If you are in the US, that means an invite to the Recruitment week. If you are abroad, you will be asked to interview over Zoom. Still, any contact means you have made the first cut of 20 or so applicants.

Ah! Just saw someone has provided this info above. Best of luck to those who get the interviews. Emory is a good place to study religion and Atlanta is a good place to live during your journey.

Edited by therealhogwarts

I applied to Catholic Universtity of America and Notre Dame.

Church History and History of Christianity concentrations respectively. 

12 hours ago, Dolores9814 said:

Just got an interview invitation from Notre Dame today, subfield comparative theology (I'm doing church history in east Asia)

Congrats on the invitation. 

I know Dr. Walatka at ND said that there were usually around 60 applications for History of Christianity for 2-4 slots so it may take a while to know for my concentration. 

Has anyone heard from CUA yet?

Edited by Ben1025

1 hour ago, Joey-Jawad said:

World Christianity. Smaller track so probably faster?

Duke GPR interviews are conducted by each individual track and are not uniformly sent out (some tracks may not do competitive interviews, but there has been a trend in the direction of holding interviews over the past few years). One track in the GPR may have already sent out interviews while another may do so later, but all tracks should be interviewing soon if they plan to do so at all. 

I can confirm that the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament track at Duke (PhD/GPR) held a series of competitive interviews yesterday. ThD interviews have not happened yet as the Divinity School is a little behind schedule, but all shortlisted candidates for the ThD are interviewed per standard practice. 

Hello!

First time posting on Grad Cafe, so pardon if I say anything too taboo. I am still waiting on a few programs, but I have an interview set up at Baylor (yay!) Has anyone here interviewed with Baylor? If so, how did it go? I’ve read from past years that they typically interview 4 candidates per sub field and typically choose 2. Does anyone know if that’s still the case? 

I am honestly just really grateful for the opportunity to interview, even if it doesn’t work out. Best wishes to everyone!! 

16 minutes ago, nmaltec said:

Likewise, anybody heard anything from Yale (Religion and Modernity), Columbia (Religion, Gender, and Sexuality), or Princeton (Religion in the Americas)?

Also waiting for Religion and Modernity and No :(

18 minutes ago, nmaltec said:

Likewise, anybody heard anything from Yale (Religion and Modernity), Columbia (Religion, Gender, and Sexuality), or Princeton (Religion in the Americas)?

different track (asian religion/buddhism/ mission history), but sadly no

59 minutes ago, nmaltec said:

I had an interview with Princeton last week for Religion in the Americas, but unsure if they're still interviewing! 

Just had my Northwestern AmRel interview. For context and posterity—as I was wishing I had more background when I got the invite—interview was very laid-back and friendly, though the questions were critical and incisive. Asked first about my project pretty extensively, then "Why Northwestern," then they all asked me their own questions and I got to ask some as well. Really positive experience!

On 1/17/2024 at 5:46 PM, FlorenceNight said:

Hello!

First time posting on Grad Cafe, so pardon if I say anything too taboo. I am still waiting on a few programs, but I have an interview set up at Baylor (yay!) Has anyone here interviewed with Baylor? If so, how did it go? I’ve read from past years that they typically interview 4 candidates per sub field and typically choose 2. Does anyone know if that’s still the case? 

I am honestly just really grateful for the opportunity to interview, even if it doesn’t work out. Best wishes to everyone!! 

The information you cite about Baylor comports with what I know about their admissions process. Although it is hard to say with any certainty, if you have an interview at Baylor, I would put your final odds of admission at about 75%. They will offer admission to 50% of those they interview, but almost assuredly one of those applicants will be tapped by Yale, Duke, Princeton, Chicago, etc. That said, I am uncertain if they still take two students per subfield each year, so it may be best to talk with current students to see what their current admissions practices may be (current graduate students can speak to their own experience but they are not always privy to how the process will be handled in the current admissions cycle).