MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

8 hours ago, yosemite119 said:

Has anyone who interviewed for BU Graphic Design heard yet?

Yes, got a decision email on March 6.

Still cannot afford to attend though 🥲

7 hours ago, Leee3 said:

Hey, everyone! Just wanted to share that I got accepted into the SAIC fiber program(no scholarship), but unfortunately, I can't attend due to a lack of money (not a US citizen so I cannot apply for FAFSA). The response from SAIC is to ask me to reapply next year. If anyone has similar experience and is willing to give me some advice, I would appreciate it! Also, if you guys decide to reapply for MFA, what do you do for a living while preparing? 

I think it’s very hard for an international student to do that. I am also an international student. We can’t even legally work for any company that is other than our enrolled school. So for instance, legally, you job choice could only be working at the front desk of Saic library, working for their admission office etc. 

Hi. I'd like to hear some opinions. I've been accepted into the Pratt, SAIC, and Calarts sculpture programs. Which school do you recommend and why? I'm leaning towards Pratt, but I wonder if this is the right choice.

23 hours ago, gayandqueer said:

Anyone applying to film MFAs heard from Iowa or Boulder? It seems a little late now and so I’m losing hope…

I haven't heard anything from Iowa either. Are you an American or international applicant?

1 minute ago, nothere said:

I haven't heard anything from Iowa either. Are you an American or international applicant?

I’m American. I got rejected from Boulder yesterday so this isn’t looking good lmao

2 minutes ago, gayandqueer said:

I’m American. I got rejected from Boulder yesterday so this isn’t looking good lmao

I'm an international applicant and they send interview emails to international applicants first. so yeah not looking good here either

On 3/11/2024 at 9:59 AM, MFAturtle said:

I'm also waiting after the Columbia Sculpture interview, but if I haven't heard from them so far, should I drop my expectations?

It's my top choice, so I'm anxiously waiting to hear from them.. I just want to know if all accepted applicants receive personal emails or not.😭

I received an informal email of acceptance for sculpture on the 4th and the official package on the 7th.

14 hours ago, ZenGarden said:

accepted to BU (painting) with 40% of scholarship 

I haven’t heard anything back yet but I felt like my interview did not go well. I wonder if I should assume rejection if I haven’t heard anything… :(

2 minutes ago, LegitimateHealth said:

I received an informal email of acceptance for sculpture on the 4th and the official package on the 7th.

Oh..thank you for sharing. Then I'd better not have expectations🥲

Wondering why it takes so long to send a rejection email.. 

In all programs I applied to Sculpture

CalArts-Accepted with Full Ride Fellowship 

RISD-Accepted with 30k + 5k stipend a year 

Columbia-Accepted with 30k a year + teaching fellowship + work options

SAIC-Accepted, no financial aid info yet

UCLA-Rejected

Yale-Rejected 

Bard-Crickets

I am in between CalArts and Columbia but have no idea what to do. Any thoughts? This seems like a dumb question since i got a full ride offer but Columbia is my first option but not sure I want to go into debt deciding to go there.

Edited by LegitimateHealth
clarification

15 hours ago, DesyDes said:

Yes, got a decision email on March 6.

Still cannot afford to attend though 🥲

Hi, same!😅Are you by any chance an international student? Did they give you a scholarship?
I'm almost in the same position and still figuring out my decision. Do you have other options? 

for those wondering about university of washington, i had a painting interview feb 19th, but i haven’t heard anything since. has anyone heard anything from them or uic? 

5 hours ago, Addseed said:

Congrats! me too! are you going? 

omg I got accepted into BU's print media and photo MFA program currently my top choice because I love the profs, program, and they gave me a great scholarship! are you going?!

2 hours ago, g000by said:

for those wondering about university of washington, i had a painting interview feb 19th, but i haven’t heard anything since. has anyone heard anything from them or uic? 

i was waitlisted by UIC, Nate Young sent the email. and i was told the waitlist isn't ranked but he said each year there's a lot of movement off the waitlist, he made it seem like there's a good chance i get off because a few people accepted will likely go somewhere else. 

On 2/16/2024 at 8:16 PM, swirlyswirl said:

hi all, I had an interview with UCLA new genres on Sunday 2/11. Interview invite was sent 2/7. 

interview with Calarts film/video scheduled for 2/29, invite sent 1/30. 

still waiting on U Iowa, UW Milwaukee, and Bard. 

Have you heard anything from Iowa?

1 hour ago, lilguy1998 said:

omg I got accepted into BU's print media and photo MFA program currently my top choice because I love the profs, program, and they gave me a great scholarship! are you going?!

that’s great! I’m still considering, cause even with a 40% scholarship, it’s still too much when consider other expenses. but BU is the only choice I have, other school either rejected me or offered very little funding. How much did they offer you? Do you think it’s possible to negotiate for a higher rate? 

3 hours ago, lilguy1998 said:

Congrats! When did you get that? I also applied for the photo program but heard nothing yet after the interview...I can only imagine the worst result.

9 hours ago, Addseed said:

Congrats! me too! are you going? 

I think I am leaning towards SVA painting( although SVA didn’t give me funding at all). I do think BU is a great program (close-knit, good course, actually care about their students etc.) But i do want to go to a school in nyc. I realize at the end of the day I am the kind of artist who would choose a prestigious Chelsea gallery over a McArthur grant. 

Edited by ZenGarden

10 hours ago, meepie said:

I haven’t heard anything back yet but I felt like my interview did not go well. I wonder if I should assume rejection if I haven’t heard anything… :(

It could also be that a) they don’t send the acceptance email at the same time b) they are waiting for the initial batch of applicants to decline the offer so that they could admit someone new. 

13 minutes ago, ZenGarden said:

I think I am leaning towards SVA painting( although SVA didn’t give me funding at all). I do think BU is a great program (close-knit, good course, I actually care their students etc.) But i do want to go to a school in nyc. I realize at the end of the day I am the kind of artist who would choose a prestigious Chelsea gallery over a McArthur grant. 

Have you visited SVA and what is your impression? I am visiting next Friday. So far, it is my only NYC option. But also received no info on potential financial aid, and it is ridiculously expensive.