MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

6 hours ago, btwnthetides said:

You should try to organize a visit if possible! I visited and was really impressed by the facilities. The neighborhood also didn't seem bad to me. If you're really worried, know that the art building does have security and everyone has to sign in. I probably won't attend because I have a better financial offer, but I think it is a really special place. 

Congrats on your acceptances and good luck with whichever you end up at! I also had the pleasure of visiting and the art facilities are definitely amazing! I was more so curious about the actual curriculum and structure of the program(if anyone on here was familiar with it)? 

I felt safe in that one area but didn't explore the campus further and had been hearing negative things. But glad you had a similar impression to me

12 hours ago, ArtsyAF said:

Hey everyone!

I am debating Temple (Tyler SOA) for my MFA along with another school, however Tylers offer is far better financially.

Does anyone on here has any experience or thoughts on Temple (Alumni/current students/know someone/etc)?  I have seen stuff written about the BFA program but never seen much about the MFA there🤔I know the BFA and MFA are very different programs but any insight into the SOA as a whole would be interesting to hear! 

I also know the area around the school isn't the best and wondering if that should deter me from going? I have heard mixed responses on this. I wouldn't live near campus(commute) but people have told me they didn't even feel safe attending classes at times...

What is your discipline? I interviewed with Tulane sculpture last year so I have a little knowledge of the sculpture area

Anyone know anything about CCA Studio Arts program? They're my best offer by far and I think that will be my final choice but I just wanted to gather other opinions since I will most likely not be able to visit...

Update again:

California State San Bernardino: Interviewed 3/12; accepted

Pacific Northwest College of Art: Interviewed 03/6; accepted 

University of Washington 3D4M: Interviewed 03/11; supposed to hear back next week 

University of Oregon: Interviewed 01/31; waitlisted 

University of Colorado Boulder: rejected 

I am really heavily leaning towards CSUSB. I am originally from So Cal and I have such a great support system there. UW is also high up on my list so if I end up getting an acceptance from them too, it's going to be extremely difficult for me to choose. 

To be honest, I never really thought I would be getting multiple interviews (4 out of 5 schools!!!) and I never would have thought I would have multiple acceptances and have options.

I am grateful for everyone supporting each other on this forum and keeping each other updated. I sincerely hope everyone else's experience has been as surreal as mine has and you have all gotten great offers from great schools. I'll update again when I hear back from UW and decide which offer to accept. ❤️

17 hours ago, gghiccup said:

I feel like I am going insane waiting for letters with looming deadlines from other schools

If you're still waiting to hear from some programs about acceptances and face looming deadlines from other programs (namely funding and TA/TR/GA offers, I wouldn't do this with admission acceptance/deposit deadlines), it wouldn't hurt out to reach out and explain your predicament. You could receive an extension, one that is a reasonable grace period for you but also fair to waitlisted applicants. Also, reaching out about this conundrum demonstrates that you are seriously weighing the program's offer, which is likely to leave a good impression.

8 hours ago, Goody2choos said:

Anyone know anything about CCA Studio Arts program? They're my best offer by far and I think that will be my final choice but I just wanted to gather other opinions since I will most likely not be able to visit...

Hey, they are currently my best offer too, and they have been really nice and invested

What medium do you practice?

Also, they told me admitted students will be able to request more scholarships soon, which is great!!

17 hours ago, Miso said:

does anyone mind sharing what they plan on doing after getting their mfa? i feel like i'm going crazy because i've worked at this for years and now it's finally happening, but the uncertainty around art careers is making me hesitant about doing this now. like i've heard the adjunct professor life is terrible...and other options besides teaching after your mfa (like gallery work, full time artist, etc..) whatever it may be...they all just seem unstable especially considering how inflation has impacted everything

I'm struggling with the same thoughts

Hi everybody

Applied to MFA Painting/Fine art programs and got Accepted to 

CalArts 

CCA

MICA Mount Royal multidisciplinary

SVA

OTIS

Any recommendation about the schools/programs? I am an international student so I can't go and visit. It is really hard for me to make a decision.

6 hours ago, rhamfaa said:

Is anyone waiting on RCA London? I applied for the second round and I believe we should be getting some kind of response by the end of the month

I applied first round and have not heard anything yet, at least for sculpture.

42 minutes ago, artyyy said:

Hi everybody

Applied to MFA Painting/Fine art programs and got Accepted to 

CalArts 

CCA

MICA Mount Royal multidisciplinary

SVA

OTIS

Any recommendation about the schools/programs? I am an international student so I can't go and visit. It is really hard for me to make a decision.

Hey, I go to Otis currently and I used to go to MICA (undergrad BFA).  I also got into and am considering both for my MFA, although I am leaning MICA because of its alignment with my arts practice.  Feel free to PM me and we can chat about it.  Otis is a great school with wonderful facilities, teachers, and students.  I am truly happy I transferred here after the pandemic.

hey hey this was my first year applying, only applied to Rutgers , interviewed ,ultimately rejected.

for next year would appreciate any recs for programs to look into: funding prioritized, ideally interdisciplinary but I could fall into a photo program or sculpture program - not horribly opposed to private schools / low on funding but that is a priority.  

I also attended SVA for my BFA and take studio courses there now in continuing ed if anyone has any questions about sva/ nyc living !

23 hours ago, Wherearethelettersomfg said:

Hey! I have a feeling they won’t give me more either; are you going to enroll anyway? I’m not sure I will, it’s a lot of money for a degree you can get for free in other universities😭

i got into ucsb which is fully funded yesterday so most likely no 😭😭 its a lot of money when there r schools that will fund u w stipends/taships 😭

6 minutes ago, Wherearethelettersomfg said:

I’m sorry😿I’m sure they missed out!

they said only 10 students were interviewed for New Genres so you should be proud and confident your art is amazing! 

Thank you this is so kind and it warms my heart! 
Yes I’ll try to keep it mind, but as we know it’s though out there - did you get interviewed, rejected or accepted to anywhere ? 

Was everyones interview with Hunter one on one? It was my only interview with that format, i thought it went really well, but now I have to hope the interviewer thought the same lol.

18 minutes ago, milktv said:

Was everyones interview with Hunter one on one? It was my only interview with that format, i thought it went really well, but now I have to hope the interviewer thought the same lol.

Did you have your interview virtually or in-person? I had mine last Saturday in-person with two of the faculty members, and I thought it went pretty solidly. Fingers crossed for both of us!

33 minutes ago, RadicalDreamers said:

Did you have your interview virtually or in-person? I had mine last Saturday in-person with two of the faculty members, and I thought it went pretty solidly. Fingers crossed for both of us!

I interviewed virtually this week. I am moving back to NY next month so couldn't swing the early trip for the in-person. Good luck to you!

1 hour ago, Lollypoponeday said:

Thank you this is so kind and it warms my heart! 
Yes I’ll try to keep it mind, but as we know it’s though out there - did you get interviewed, rejected or accepted to anywhere ? 

It is! 

I got into RISD, CCA, Pratt and OTIS

Had interviews with UCLA, Columbia and Hunter, but no response yet

The anxiety is getting bigger with every passing minute🫠 there are so many things to consider and the fact that I still don’t know the answer from some of them makes it worse

4 minutes ago, Wherearethelettersomfg said:

It is! 

I got into RISD, CCA, Pratt and OTIS

Had interviews with UCLA, Columbia and Hunter, but no response yet

The anxiety is getting bigger with every passing minute🫠 there are so many things to consider and the fact that I still don’t know the answer from some of them makes it worse

Okay so no answer just from Hunter ?

Honestly just these 3 being accepted is already great to be honest. And on top of it interview at UCLA this also says a lot about your work as you said! Which one is the one you prefer?

2 minutes ago, Lollypoponeday said:

Okay so no answer just from Hunter ?

Honestly just these 3 being accepted is already great to be honest. And on top of it interview at UCLA this also says a lot about your work as you said! Which one is the one you prefer?

No answer from Hunter, UCLA or Columbia yet

Thank you! I submitted the applications without a clue of how competitive it all was, but the struggle is real🫠

At the moment, CCA is my main!

On 3/13/2024 at 1:56 PM, LegitimateHealth said:

In all programs I applied to Sculpture

CalArts-Accepted with Full Ride Fellowship 

RISD-Accepted with 30k + 5k stipend a year 

Columbia-Accepted with 30k a year + teaching fellowship + work options

SAIC-Accepted, no financial aid info yet

UCLA-Rejected

Yale-Rejected 

Bard-Crickets

I am in between CalArts and Columbia but have no idea what to do. Any thoughts? This seems like a dumb question since i got a full ride offer but Columbia is my first option but not sure I want to go into debt deciding to go there.

Go to Cal Arts, unless NYC is where you want to after graduation to work and live.