MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

29 minutes ago, Anxietyismymiddlename said:

Does this mean RISD won't be posting anything today anymore?

I have recieved my acceptance status update, about 10 minutes ago. Not too stoked about the funding offered... but hopefully it will be better when they actually get my FAFSA

1 hour ago, sostressed said:

How did your interview go??

The interview went well, I think. It lasted about 20 minutes with three interviewers, and they seemed interested in my work (we dove into my portfolio right from the start). Then they asked quite a few questions about adaptation, such as if I've ever been to New York and if I'm familiar with living in a big city. I also inquired about the main materials current students are using and alumni's trajectories, and they seemed eager to provide detailed answers.

They mentioned it would take a few weeks since they've just started the interviews. However, they also said to reach out if I need to know the results earlier!

6 hours ago, bunnie99 said:

Yeah, I got my email with my login and stuff. It doesnt display any financial information for me... I'm assuming I didnt recieve any merit scholarships I guess, and the the financial aid page on the student portal is just totally blank for me? I guess because maybe the fafsa still hasn't been processed? Is it the same for anyone else? 

I also didn't receive any financial information with my package from SAIC. I was assuming there's no scholarship included....

Additionally, I've been waitlisted for RISD.

i got about 50% fellowship offer from RISD....curious if that is similar for other people accepted? mostly curious because I have other offers are full funding and I trying to gauge if asking for a higher award would be uncourteous. 

13 minutes ago, xxxmfa said:

i got about 50% fellowship offer from RISD....curious if that is similar for other people accepted? mostly curious because I have other offers are full funding and I trying to gauge if asking for a higher award would be uncourteous. 

I only got $4,000 assistantship 😅 from RISD ceramics. What medium? And where do you have higher offers?

Never be afraid to ask for more money! The worst they can say is no. Get your bag for sure

Edited by bunnie99

43 minutes ago, xxxmfa said:

I got about 40% fellowship and 5k assistantship from painting and I'm at the same spot as xxxmfa. RISD's deal is just not enough for me to go. Sadly, because it was my #1. Also I noted how in the letter it mentioned that there won't be opportunities to increase merit scholarships so what you get is what you get but please let us know if you renegotiate. 

On 3/4/2024 at 9:52 PM, Leee3 said:

RISD is a big name, but I'm not sure about the job prospects in the industry. I know some students who choose to become artists or professors. From what I've heard, NYC's artistic community is incredibly strong. I wish you could apply to more schools in NYC. Even students from SAIC believe that NYC offers another level for networking and promoting your art, with many more opportunities to hold exhibitions(I talked with them during open studio night). The negative feedback from Parsons is mainly about the entire school administrative system (You could google parsons on strike to know more details), as well as some professors' assignments that are not even related to what they teach in class. And no, none of them recommended Parsons for me to apply. I think there are definitely problems there.

I think I am going to be accepting at RISD.

I feel like the more I read online about all three of them (RISD, Parsons and SAIC), the more I get confused. All three schools are pretty much comparable and at par with each other overall on paper. So I think you gave solid advice in your previous post, it kind of depends on what I want to gain out of the program and what direction I would like to take post completion. NYC is a good location but I dont think that should be my deciding factor. 

I believe in the end it comes down to what resonates more with me and I think it’s RISD. Their program is more structured and very high touch with the faculty, considering the cohort is just 6 students. It’s just a better fit. I thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with the faculty way more than the other schools. It almost felt like they got what I was trying to do with my work and wanted to help me achieve that. Also, I got my official acceptance from RISD today :))

Did you also apply this year? Curious to know what program!

12 hours ago, SemiLocalArtRat said:

Any news from University of Washington? It seems like nobody applying to their MFA program has heard back yet, so I'm still hopeful. Their site also states that undergrad admissions decisions are sent out between March 1-15, so here's to hoping that grad acceptances go out within that window as well (if they haven't already and I'm just missing something)

Edit: I saw on the UofW masters acceptance page that some have, as have some waitlists, but not fully sure of if that's the final headcount/status

What page is this? Where did you see this information?

2 hours ago, Goody2choos said:

I got about 40% fellowship and 5k assistantship from painting and I'm at the same spot as xxxmfa. RISD's deal is just not enough for me to go. Sadly, because it was my #1. Also I noted how in the letter it mentioned that there won't be opportunities to increase merit scholarships so what you get is what you get but please let us know if you renegotiate. 

I also got around 50% from RISD. Where did they say there won't be opportunities to increase scholarship? I didn't see this in my letters & was gonna ask for an increase 😂 

Just now, mfaapplicant said:

I also got around 50% from RISD. Where did they say there won't be opportunities to increase scholarship? I didn't see this in my letters & was gonna ask for an increase 😂 

I feel like I read it in the fine print on one of my letters. I'm not sure if that means you can't ask for an increase more, that there won't be opportunities along the way to increase once you are in the program.

13 minutes ago, Goody2choos said:

I feel like I read it in the fine print on one of my letters. I'm not sure if that means you can't ask for an increase more, that there won't be opportunities along the way to increase once you are in the program.

Ohh I saw that too! Thanks!

Hi, I finished my Columbia Sculpture  interview last week, and I'm waiting for the results.

Looking at the previous comments, I see some people personally received an acceptance email from Colombia, do all accepted applicants receive a personal emails?
Should I consider it as a rejection or a waitlist if I haven't heard from them so far?

Edited by MFAturtle

Hi all,

Here's my updates: 

University of Oregon: Interviewed 1/31, waitlisted 2/20. Final decision expected on or before 4/15. 

PNCA: Interviewed 3/6, should hear back in a couple weeks. 

Cal State San Bernardino: Interview request received 3/6, scheduled for 3/12. 

University of Washington: No interview request, assuming rejection. 

University of Colorado Boulder: No interview request, assuming rejection. 

Hearing back from 3/5 schools isn't too bad imo. Hoping my Cal State interview goes well next week!  

Congrats to everyone who's gotten interviews and acceptances! This has been such a long, arduous, and stressful process and I am very ready to finish it lol. 

6 hours ago, xxxmfa said:

I thought RISD was fully funded?

Which other offers are fully funded ?

3 hours ago, Lollypoponeday said:

I thought RISD was fully funded?

Which other offers are fully funded ?

Risd is def not fully funded. It is an expensive private art school. I heard of one person last year in sculpture getting a full ride, but besides that they give scholarships that might sound like a lot, but when you look at the tuition, it barely covers anything. 

a lot of programs are fully funded. Mostly public universities. The funding and expectations vary a lot so you just have to do research and find one that fits :) 

Just now, Sweetie123 said:

Risd is def not fully funded. It is an expensive private art school. I heard of one person last year in sculpture getting a full ride, but besides that they give scholarships that might sound like a lot, but when you look at the tuition, it barely covers anything. 

a lot of programs are fully funded. Mostly public universities. The funding and expectations vary a lot so you just have to do research and find one that fits :) 

Thanks for your answer!

Even when I do research there's nothing less clear than finding out if a university is truly fully funded or not. Example: UCLA MFA is supposed to be fully funded but I have seen messages on this thread saying that "it's expensive". Again, Yale is supposed to be fully funded but I have also seen messages on this thread asking about "how is the finances/funding" to people who got accepted.