MFA 2024 Freak Out Forum

CactusWren22

So I am looking at two (very different) options and would love some thoughts/opinions/insights from whoever may be called to give them:)

I was accepted to RISD with 50k/year fellowship plus 5k/year assistantship. 

Also accepted into Tulane (FREE and with 16k/year stipend plus 5k for the summer in between.

Initially I was completely set on Tulane (it is free, there is a professor there whose work I love, I would love a change of climate, scenery, culture, and it feels good to be wanted, etc) however recently, I began having some second thoughts. While I want teaching to be open to me in the future, it is not necessarily my immediate goal. I am interested in potentially creating my own textile and wallpaper line which would be a more entrepreneurial path. I have always felt that my work exists in a middle ground between galleries and "commercial art"

Anyways, obviously RISD would allow me access to a range of state of the art facilities (I need help with tech, repeat pattern, etc), but the idea of graduating with what would probably be 70K in debt, does not feel conducive for starting my own business/starting my thirties.

Tulane on the other hand is a huge research school with a fantastic art program, but it is small (only two people per concentration) and I am still uncertain on whether I would have access to some of the digital technologies that I feel my practice needs. Tulane would definitely set me up for a great teaching path and it would be an intimate and supportive two years. I am really just worried that my entrepreneurial hopes may not be meant. At the same time, I am reminding myself that if I went to Tulane, I could always find a CAD class elsewhere that would probably teach me everything I need to know about repeats and certainly wouldn't cost me 70K.

I think I know what I should do, buuuuuuut I would love any thoughts. Thanks y'all ❤️ 

Edited by arthoe1997

14 hours ago, arthoe1997 said:

So I am looking at two (very different) options and would love some thoughts/opinions/insights from whoever may be called to give them:)

I was accepted to RISD with 50k/year fellowship plus 5k/year assistantship. 

Also accepted into Tulane (FREE and with 16k/year stipend plus 5k for the summer in between.

Initially I was completely set on Tulane (it is free, there is a professor there whose work I love, I would love a change of climate, scenery, culture, and it feels good to be wanted, etc) however recently, I began having some second thoughts. While I want teaching to be open to me in the future, it is not necessarily my immediate goal. I am interested in potentially creating my own textile and wallpaper line which would be a more entrepreneurial path. I have always felt that my work exists in a middle ground between galleries and "commercial art"

Anyways, obviously RISD would allow me access to a range of state of the art facilities (I need help with tech, repeat pattern, etc), but the idea of graduating with what would probably be 70K in debt, does not feel conducive for starting my own business/starting my thirties.

Tulane on the other hand is a huge research school with a fantastic art program, but it is small (only two people per concentration) and I am still uncertain on whether I would have access to some of the digital technologies that I feel my practice needs. Tulane would definitely set me up for a great teaching path and it would be an intimate and supportive two years. I am really just worried that my entrepreneurial hopes may not be meant. At the same time, I am reminding myself that if I went to Tulane, I could always find a CAD class elsewhere that would probably teach me everything I need to know about repeats and certainly wouldn't cost me 70K.

I think I know what I should do, buuuuuuut I would love any thoughts. Thanks y'all ❤️ 

I regret not applying to Tulane, from what I hear it's a great place to do an MFA. 

I am also considering RISD, but I only got 40k + 5k so I can't afford it unless they counter-offer, but I can tell you that once you're AT Tulane you will probably have a lot more leverage when it comes to accessing facilities, and the ability to network with techs. 

I also wouldn't just think of teaching as a full time career, but as a way to pay for being an artist, which I think is the key thing here.

20 hours ago, freakout2024 said:

so i still have nothing in my application portal or email. I called grad admissions (but not the art dep directly) and was told I am waitlisted. I haven't received any notification personally so I wonder if that is an internal decision indicating that I am higher on the waitlist that the people they already notified? who knows. If so I'm not too bummed because I have other offers and have also secured a Fulbright for painting for the fall

I called the art department directly and left a message.

Have you heard anything?

I’ve sent an email to the admissions office, no answer yet. There's also nothing on my portal. I'll share any new updates as soon as I hear back!

I got accepted to CalArts' Art and Technology MFA and RISD's Sculpture MFA and some more(saic atsp, pratt digital arts..). I'm torn between the two calarts and Risd.

If I consider the major, CalArts seems better, but RISD has better name value(in my opinion). I don't plan to become an artist after graduation; I want to work in a practical field like an agency. If I go to RISD, I don't want to do sculpture anymore and would prefer to take classes in other departments. Is that possible? What you guys think?

CalArts offers much more scholarship money, $22,000 annually compared to RISD's $5,000 assistantship scholarship.

It's a tough decision. Help me choose.

10 hours ago, kkkkkkkkk said:

I got accepted to CalArts' Art and Technology MFA and RISD's Sculpture MFA and some more(saic atsp, pratt digital arts..). I'm torn between the two calarts and Risd.

If I consider the major, CalArts seems better, but RISD has better name value(in my opinion). I don't plan to become an artist after graduation; I want to work in a practical field like an agency. If I go to RISD, I don't want to do sculpture anymore and would prefer to take classes in other departments. Is that possible? What you guys think?

CalArts offers much more scholarship money, $22,000 annually compared to RISD's $5,000 assistantship scholarship.

Have you talked to current grad students at either program? I went on a risd tour last summer and the tour guide mentioned how it can be hard for MFA candidates to take classes outside of your concentration. I don’t know how true that is, but talking to current MFA students might help you decide (or even professors or the graduate coordinator at both programs) so you can learn more about each program and can decide from there. 

15 hours ago, kkkkkkkkk said:

Go to CalArts then, also they have about the same name value if thats what you are worried about. Also LA > Providence, especially if you want agency work. 

Edited by LegitimateHealth

On 4/2/2024 at 11:14 PM, kkkkkkkkk said:

I'd love to see your work, we got a lot of the same accepts and I'm always curious about the people I'm going to be going to school with (probably, deciding between a few at the moment, including RISD Sculpture)

Also if your goal is to work in an agency I'd think CalArts would almost be a no brainer, you'll have access to a lot more opportunities and connections 

DM me if you like!

2 hours ago, Ouiallo said:

I'd love to see your work, we got a lot of the same accepts and I'm always curious about the people I'm going to be going to school with (probably, deciding between a few at the moment, including RISD Sculpture)

Also if your goal is to work in an agency I'd think CalArts would almost be a no brainer, you'll have access to a lot more opportunities and connections 

DM me if you like!

Just fyi, Heather Rowe who is sculpture head at RISD is on Sabbatical for the next year(Fall 24-Spring 25).

On 4/5/2024 at 9:55 AM, Ouiallo said:

DM me if you like!

I had messaged u!!

Ok Ok, last "where I stand" post.  Sculpture student graduating from Otis college in 6 weeks.

UCLA - Rejected

VCU - Rejected

Yale - Rejected

MassArt - Accepted, no funding

Cranbrook - Accepted, 18k/year funding

Otis - Accepted, 27k/year funding, I may accept this offer

MICA Rinehart - Accepted, 23k/year funding

ArtCenter - Accepted, 15k/year initial funding but I will be negotiating when they receive my FAFSA.  I will almost definitely accept this offer.

If anyone has already committed to ArtCenter, I would love to chat!!!  I had a really difficult time choosing between Cranbrook, MICA, ArtCenter, and Otis.  I have decided to stay in Los Angeles for personal and professional reasons.  I fell in love with ArtCenter upon my visit.  I am eager to study under Laura Owens.  I wish they could have brought MICA to LA, though!  I am stoked to commit in a few days when my FAFSA is in :)

1 hour ago, Dougie4life said:

Is anyone deciding to hold off and reapply again next year? 

I just declined Columbia, so hopefully that opens a spot for one of you, for whom it makes more sense this year.

Good luck!

Same here! 

Just declined RISD's offer. (The only offer I got) I feel like if I did this process again I would be WAY more informed. Hopefully, someone who's a great fit gets my spot! 

Cheers to not rushing into things...

Hey everyone! First time posting here but I’d love to get some advice on weighing my potential options for this application cycle. I’m a NYC-based figurative painter who applied for MFA programs for the first time this cycle and got accepted to VCU (full funding), Pratt ($15k scholarship per year), and CalArts ($26k scholarship per year), am waitlisted at USC, and haven’t heard back post interview with NYU (remaining programs were rejections). 

At this point I’ve pretty much ruled out CalArts, and think I would take NYU if offered. I keep going back and forth between VCU and Pratt and I’m curious if anyone here has any advice for me? The biggest draw for Pratt to me is staying in New York and continuing to build my community here, but I haven’t gotten the best feeling from the program in terms of support for students and curriculum. VCU seems like a great program and a good fit for me in terms of balance between classroom and studio time, but I’m worried about disrupting my momentum here in NY by leaving for Virginia. My career goals are to be both a practicing painter and a teacher (landing a professor job would be my absolute dream) and I get the sense that VCU might set me up a bit better post graduation? But all these things are so hard to discern! I welcome any advice / thoughts folks here may have… thank you in advance!

23 hours ago, Dougie4life said:

Is anyone deciding to hold off and reapply again next year? 

I just declined Columbia, so hopefully that opens a spot for one of you, for whom it makes more sense this year.

Good luck!

I declined offers last year and reapplied this year and was way more informed and prepared (and my portfolio was so much stronger). This year, I was incredibly selective with where I applied and ended up getting into the funded program I wanted with a $33,000 stipend the first year. It was so worth it to wait. 

On 4/8/2024 at 7:58 PM, UndergroundDoig said:

Anyone who got accepted to Yale MFA Photo, can you give insight to their scholarship offer? Is it full ride or close?

🫡 okay so my finances are COMPLICATED. So take everything with a grain of salt. That being said I have gone to yale open studios and a crit and got to talk to at least 5 people about the finances and it seems like everyone is in about the same boat as far as the funding goes. It’s all need based and no matter what, you have to give them your parents finances as well, which i think is just trying to get everyone on a level playing field? But also i kind of hate it even if I understand it. So tuition is 46,000 a year and then books and supplies they estimate is 6,000, 3,000 health insurance (that you can wave if you have other health insurance), they estimate housing and food at 17,000 for a year. I know a lot of students get the full price of tuition (the max you can get), I wasn’t sure what to expect bc as I said pretty complicated financials but i got about 75% of tuition paid for. So like when you compare it to UCONN or VCU where your tuition is paid for and you’re getting a stipend it may not be as appealing. But compared to RISD?? Where tuition is 60,000? and scholarships are not great? and that doesn’t include cost of living?  forget it. (got in last year and was sort of shocked by the assistance offered and how highly they thought of themselves??) Also nice bc living expenses in New Haven are a lot more palatable than say NYC. I would pretty confidently say most people coming from a middle class or lower middle class background get 75% to 100% tuition paid. I was also given a work study option for 3,000 but I haven’t totally looked into it. 

2 hours ago, Sweetie123 said:

I declined offers last year and reapplied this year and was way more informed and prepared (and my portfolio was so much stronger). This year, I was incredibly selective with where I applied and ended up getting into the funded program I wanted with a $33,000 stipend the first year. It was so worth it to wait. 

I love hearing this. Thank you for sharing! Where have you decided to go and for which discipline?

Congratulations :)

Hi :)

I have a question, this cycle was my first applying to any MFA programs so I was new to this whole experience and didn't know what to expect. 

Sadly, I've been either only rejected or waitlisted from all universities that I applied to. Either way, does anyone have any experience with being waitlisted and how long the wait is until I get a final notification? I am an international applicant too, so I can't just really wait and see until late August to make a decision, since I do also have to plan a bit into the future regarding job opportunities or other educational paths I might take. 

Any kind of advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you :) 

1 hour ago, nanaaaa said:

Hi :)

I have a question, this cycle was my first applying to any MFA programs so I was new to this whole experience and didn't know what to expect. 

Sadly, I've been either only rejected or waitlisted from all universities that I applied to. Either way, does anyone have any experience with being waitlisted and how long the wait is until I get a final notification? I am an international applicant too, so I can't just really wait and see until late August to make a decision, since I do also have to plan a bit into the future regarding job opportunities or other educational paths I might take. 

Any kind of advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you :) 

I think it really depends on which schools you're waitlisted at, and whether any of those schools is your top choice. If you're eventually admitted and you know you're definitely going no matter what, then I'd suggest contacting them to express your thoughts and see where you stand on their waitlist.

If you're uncertain about whether you'll accept the offer once they admit you, then I would consider other options like working or reapplying next year, etc. It's a two-year investment in yourself—both time and money—so I wouldn't just pick one, especially when the choices are limited. I first applied in 2021 and, sadly, I was rejected by all of them, so technically I didn't have any choices. 🥲 But I reapplied this year with a much better portfolio and was accepted to all of my top choices, which allowed me to make a very informed and satisfying decision.

Anyway, it also depends on your own situation and how much you want to be in school right now. I hope this helps.

"Where I stand" Post (all painting programs): 

Accepted

1.       Boston University (40% scholarship) this is one of my top schools.

2.       CalArts in suburb LA (30% scholarship) not considering because there are few painting professor in this school

3.       Pratt in NYC (no scholarship)

4.       SVA in NYC (offered 8k after negotiation)

5.       MICA (33% scholarship) not considering only because I don’t like Baltimore.

6.       SAIC post bacc in Chicago (25% scholarship) not considering since it’s post-bacc.

Rejected

1.       Yale

2.       UCLA

3.       Upenn

4.       RISD

5.       Hunter College (of CUNY)

6.       Columbia University

---------------------------

I think my result accurately reflects the level of competitiveness of different programs 😆 I have decided to go to SVA this fall! 

On 4/11/2024 at 6:07 PM, Dougie4life said:

I love hearing this. Thank you for sharing! Where have you decided to go and for which discipline?

Congratulations :)

Thank you! I will go to the university of Maryland and study sculpture! 

Have you made a decision about accepting or waiting another year?