2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

5 hours ago, charlie_k said:

Hi! Has anyone applied to/heard back from UC Santa Cruz or McGill? Haven't seen those programmes mentioned here and am anxiously waiting results!

I applied to UCSC and haven't heard anything back yet.

15 hours ago, Polisci24 said:

i applied to berkeley and haven't heard anything. since they already sent out acceptance and waitlist, i'll consider mine as a rejection (but ofc worth waiting until they actually send a final decision). u can scroll back to early posts in the forum - i believe people claimed berkeley (both acceptance and wl) 

16 hours ago, HumanHusky said:

Heyy Guys 
Congratulations on the offers received 
I got a rejection from Uni of Chicago but haven't heard back from UC Berkeley or Johns Hopkins, Does anybody here have any updates I'm super nervous 

I also haven't heard back from Berkeley. The decisions I saw posted here were for IR and CP only, so I'm not sure whether or not to hold on to hope. Has anyone heard back from the American Politics subfield? 

I applied to Merced as well (I guess I really want to move to California lol) and already got accepted and they scheduled me to fly out there and visit and stuff. I'm discouraged that the other two UC schools are taking a long time  :( 

1 hour ago, Polisci882 said:

has anyone gotten a decision from Georgetown? I saw someone post being waitlisted on the results page

I got an email from the IR field chair waitlisting me on the 5th.

50 minutes ago, vadis said:

I applied to UCSC and haven't heard anything back yet.

I also haven't heard back from Berkeley. The decisions I saw posted here were for IR and CP only, so I'm not sure whether or not to hold on to hope. Has anyone heard back from the American Politics subfield? 

I applied to Merced as well (I guess I really want to move to California lol) and already got accepted and they scheduled me to fly out there and visit and stuff. I'm discouraged that the other two UC schools are taking a long time  :( 

I applied for the IR field only, but I just don't know I mailed them today regarding the update lets see what happens. 

6 hours ago, charlie_k said:

Hi! Has anyone applied to/heard back from UC Santa Cruz or McGill? Haven't seen those programmes mentioned here and am anxiously waiting results!

Hi, I've applied for PT at McGill, still no news. There has been one claim in GradCafe search results for Jan 25th but I'm not sure it's authentic since it mentions GRE scores and at least to my knowledge, McGill actively discourages posting GRE scores. Guess we just have to wait.

I've also applied for HistCon in UCSC and judging from previous years, it seems they're pretty late when it comes to announcing results.

Also saw two interview claims for UCSB CP on Feb 5th, but nothing for PT. Apparently nobody really cares about PT lol 😆 

45 minutes ago, The Gumbo Variations said:

Hi, I've applied for PT at McGill, still no news. There has been one claim in GradCafe search results for Jan 25th but I'm not sure it's authentic since it mentions GRE scores and at least to my knowledge, McGill actively discourages posting GRE scores. Guess we just have to wait.

I've also applied for HistCon in UCSC and judging from previous years, it seems they're pretty late when it comes to announcing results.

Also saw two interview claims for UCSB CP on Feb 5th, but nothing for PT. Apparently nobody really cares about PT lol 😆 

I think the McGill in Political Theory one is true because there's a girl on Twitter who said she got accepted (just search "McGill" + "PhD"). But she did her MA there so maybe she was told before others?

1 hour ago, The Gumbo Variations said:

Yeah I saw that as well and was hoping it was fake, but congrats to her!

Good luck with HistCon, that's a dream programme of mine. Have you heard back anywhere else? I haven't seen too many other PT applicants here so it's been hard gauging where we are in the process lol

1 minute ago, charlie_k said:

Yeah I saw that as well and was hoping it was fake, but congrats to her!

Good luck with HistCon, that's a dream programme of mine. Have you heard back anywhere else? I haven't seen too many other PT applicants here so it's been hard gauging where we are in the process lol

Sadly, none so far. I haven't seen much activity from PT applicants either. Most acceptance/rejections seem to be on the CP or IR subfield. I've only applied for PT in McGill and UCSB, Philosophy in Syracuse and NSSR, and HistCon in UCSC. Given the theoretical nature of what I want to do and the high demand of other subfields in PolSci, it looks like my chances are slim for a PT acceptance. Still, gotta keep the hope high untill the official rejection. HistCon would be a dream come true. Good luck to you too, nice to see another PT applicant.

I saw someone post earlier that TAMU had sent out application decisions? Can anyone else confirm that they’ve already sent out all of their positive decisions, or if they do them in waves? 

Edited by Prospero

7 minutes ago, SilverPen said:

Do we think there will be any more acceptances from Duke? Saw 4 on results page, but from different dates

It seems like Duke is putting them out in batches this year. Guess we'll have to wait and see. 

8 minutes ago, SilverPen said:

Do we think there will be any more acceptances from Duke? Saw 4 on results page, but from different dates

all four of those acceptances (and waitlists on this thread) are from informal channels, i.e., interviewer reaching out with an email. those who did interviews may have a shot of getting accepted; but the chance that duke accepts someone without prior interviews may be slim. 

Edited by barthestow

On 2/7/2024 at 11:38 AM, Prospero said:

Does anyone know when it's safe to assume that you've just been rejected?

There are a few places (UT Austin, Princeton) who've already released results, but for which my portal still says "Pending" or "In Review". 

Is it even worth reaching out, or is better to wait for the actual rejection update?

I sent an email to UT and their answer was:

I regret to inform you that the admissions committee will not extend an offer. We appreciate the time and effort you spent in applying to our program.

On 2/5/2024 at 7:53 PM, zfpolisci said:

Has anyone received an invitation letter from JHU SAIS for the "Dean's Tatser Lecture" on February 8th? Can I assume that this means that I got accepted or I will be interviewed? Maybe everyone who applied for the program received this email?

i applied to JHU and didn't receive this email. but SAIS is a separate entity apart from political science, which is housed under the school of arts and science. maybe it's just a promotional email i guess?

Hello, all applicants! My name is Saurabh, and I'm originally from India. I only applied to one university, the University of Rochester, for Physics and Astronomy. Did anyone else also apply there? If so, please let me know if you have received any notification yet or not.

On 2/8/2024 at 1:09 PM, Polisci882 said:

has anyone gotten a decision from Georgetown? I saw someone post being waitlisted on the results page

I posted one of those. Applied for IR, had an interview a couple weeks ago and then an email from my interviewer on the 5th, saying I'm on the waitlist. No portal update.

He did also say that the committee had met on the 5th and finalized the lists for all subfields, not just IR, so I'm guessing most decisions should've gone out by now.

Has UNC sent rejections for this year? have not heard anything from it so far

Also could you guys give me some advice on what to do for the next academic year in order to apply for a PhD for the next time? As I perhaps would be rejected by all the unis that I applied to. Would doing a third master's a kinda waste of time, as the committee may perceive me as an 'academically incompetent' student?

Boring facts about myself: International student with an undergrad in IR, two masters in UK and Ireland respectively (Ireland one is ongoing)

22 minutes ago, Infinity203 said:

Hello, all applicants! My name is Saurabh, and I'm originally from India. I only applied to one university, the University of Rochester, for Physics and Astronomy. Did anyone else also apply there? If so, please let me know if you have received any notification yet or not.

Hello Saurabh 🙂 
Good luck with your application! I don't think anyone in this group has heard back by the University of Rochester yet, however, we are all Political Science applicants. Maybe it would be better to find the respective subject forum or check out Reddit. Anyways, good luck!

26 minutes ago, polisci119 said:

Has UNC sent rejections for this year? have not heard anything from it so far

Also could you guys give me some advice on what to do for the next academic year in order to apply for a PhD for the next time? As I perhaps would be rejected by all the unis that I applied to. Would doing a third master's a kinda waste of time, as the committee may perceive me as an 'academically incompetent' student?

Boring facts about myself: International student with an undergrad in IR, two masters in UK and Ireland respectively (Ireland one is ongoing)

I think it might be more useful to try to get a job in research or something related to your academic interests. I applied for PhD programs - unsuccessfully - a few years ago, did a Master's instead, then worked in research before applying again this year and getting two offers so far.