2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

Just now, m82a said:

Congratulations! It's good to know that the waitlist is moving- if you don't mind answering, do you feel like you might take it? 

Thank you! I'll probably pass because I have better faculty fit at Columbia. Will send emails to the department tomorrow and hopefully pass on the good news to someone else on the waitlist! 

6 minutes ago, 2024_IR said:

Thank you! I'll probably pass because I have better faculty fit at Columbia. Will send emails to the department tomorrow and hopefully pass on the good news to someone else on the waitlist! 

Thank you, it gives me some hope knowing I might get off myself - I got waitlisted a week ago. When did you get your waitlist notification? Also claiming UCLA (thought I was over after acceptances went out yesterday) but even if fit might be better at UCLA - I am worried about funding.

On the public/state school funding thing it really depends on the school. UCLA has a history of poor funding, but I just got my UW offer of funding a few days ago and I'm happy!

It’s plenty for the area and includes summer funding/annual allowance for conference fees etc. 

Don’t count state schools out! 

3 hours ago, fizzan said:

On the public/state school funding thing it really depends on the school. UCLA has a history of poor funding, but I just got my UW offer of funding a few days ago and I'm happy!

It’s plenty for the area and includes summer funding/annual allowance for conference fees etc. 

Don’t count state schools out! 

If you don't mind my asking, is the UW stipend they offered identical to the one on their website?

9 hours ago, m82a said:

Thank you, it gives me some hope knowing I might get off myself - I got waitlisted a week ago. When did you get your waitlist notification? Also claiming UCLA (thought I was over after acceptances went out yesterday) but even if fit might be better at UCLA - I am worried about funding.

I got my waitlist decision really early, around the time when the first wave of offers were sent (late January) 

3 hours ago, barringtonmoore said:

If you don't mind my asking, is the UW stipend they offered identical to the one on their website?

Higher by over a thousand iirc? And def enough for Madison 

eta: plus  summer funding which isn’t mentioned on the website for TAing 

Edited by fizzan

9 minutes ago, Polisci24 said:

wondering if anyone receive admits from UPenn. literally my last pending app. thanks!

Same here! I saw a "waitlist" on the result page and also remember someone in this thread reported it. But I received nothing yet.

2 hours ago, aroselin said:

Same here! I saw a "waitlist" on the result page and also remember someone in this thread reported it. But I received nothing yet.

oh yeah i saw that too. hope we can get some news next week 🤞 

11 hours ago, politicalscience33 said:

Hi! UPenn does not send acceptances/rejections on one day or waitlists. Every year things come in randomly. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info! As much as I hope they haven't sent out all results, one admit & two waitlist on the results make me less believe they send results in batches. But you're completely right, we won't know until we get an official notification from the dept. 

p.s. is it just me or others find this forum starts to have annoying pump-up ads randomly? 

22 hours ago, Squirrelgirl2 said:

https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/music-phd-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics/

Can any math-smart people tell me what they think my chances are of getting off the waitlist at Duke (I'm third on the waitlist and they told me that they "frequently" admit people off the waitlist)??? I'm so stressed, I really need this offer. 

I don't know if you realized but those are the stats for the music program, I'd assume there is wide variation across departments.

15 minutes ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

I got rejected from Johns Hopkins and Cornell with a difference of 5 minutes between emails.
🫠

Everything hurts and I'm dying.

In the same boat lol, plus Toronto a few minutes before (for Sociology not Poli Sci though). It’s been almost two weeks since my last decision then three in one night!

Sitting on 0a/6r/3p now…

Received Harvard rejection, as expected. That's it for me. 0 for 8 lol. On the plus side, I know what went wrong and how to fix it. Might take a shot again next year. Might skip the PhD, as it's not strictly necessary. While this was disappointing, I'm grateful to have a career I enjoy that pays the bills.

Best of luck to all of you who were accepted to programs! You earned it. To those who aren't, keep your head up. It's a tough process. Don't let rejection deter you from pursuing your dreams. It's a temporary setback and may prove to be a blessing in disguise.

9 minutes ago, jce8491 said:

Received Harvard rejection, as expected. That's it for me. 0 for 8 lol. On the plus side, I know what went wrong and how to fix it. Might take a shot again next year. Might skip the PhD, as it's not strictly necessary. While this was disappointing, I'm grateful to have a career I enjoy that pays the bills.

Best of luck to all of you who were accepted to programs! You earned it. To those who aren't, keep your head up. It's a tough process. Don't let rejection deter you from pursuing your dreams. It's a temporary setback and may prove to be a blessing in disguise.

It has been a brutal cycle, however, I'm glad you have a job that pays the bills. Good luck with everything you do in your life. ☺️