2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

I need to get this off of my chest. I don't trust anyone around me to be honest, call it imposter syndrome if you want. That's what they say. Take a look at my credentials and tell me what you think. 

I'm going for my PoliSci after my undergrad. My top choices are UChicago, Northwestern, WashUStLouis, and Georgetown, among others... I come from a very low-income area, am very low-income myself, and went to a famously terrible high school. 

Cumulative GPA: 3.3 (I'm bad with languages and econ isn't easy.)

Major GPA: 3.7

I published research during my undergrad and now work for the university as a TA and head a research program for undergraduates. I've also done some tutoring for a tough methodologies course. Last semester, I served as an intern at a major government agency focusing on intelligence analysis. Currently, I've been published in an undergraduate think-tink, publication, thing. I'm also on the review board, soon to be editor, for an undergraduate journal. 

I have some pretty good recommendations set up as well. 

Let me know what you think. What are my odds? Am I finished?

1 hour ago, CormacSunderland said:

I need to get this off of my chest. I don't trust anyone around me to be honest, call it imposter syndrome if you want. That's what they say. Take a look at my credentials and tell me what you think. 

I'm going for my PoliSci after my undergrad. My top choices are UChicago, Northwestern, WashUStLouis, and Georgetown, among others... I come from a very low-income area, am very low-income myself, and went to a famously terrible high school. 

I published research during my undergrad and now work for the university as a TA and head a research program for undergraduates. I've also done some tutoring for a tough methodologies course. Last semester, I served as an intern at a major government agency focusing on intelligence analysis. Currently, I've been published in an undergraduate think-tink, publication, thing. I'm also on the review board, soon to be editor, for an undergraduate journal. 

Not to be rude, but we are still focused on our own prospects for this admission season. Furthermore, we do not serve on any school's admissions committees, therefore, we cannot provide you with the detailed insight you are looking for. We've been supporting one another for months on this thread, and I can tell you that folks with better credentials than you have been rejected everywhere and vice versa, so you won't receive the straightforward answer you desire.

That being said, given my personal experience with two admissions cycles, I can tell you that the most important thing Departments look for is a good match between your research interests, the Department's own interests, and the faculty's capacity to advise you. Best of luck.

14 hours ago, CormacSunderland said:

You don't specify PhD or masters here. I would say you have a high likelihood of getting into a decent Masters program, but little chance for admission to one of the Ph.D. programs listed above.

To the people who are accepted to the University of Illinois for IR, please please let them know if you accept or deny as soon as you feel able. I am the only one left now on the IR waitlist and U of I is my number one pick. Being the only one left is terrifying. I'm so close yet so far 😭

On 4/10/2024 at 9:02 PM, CormacSunderland said:

Nobody can give you odds. It's an idiosyncratic process. Are you finished? No. Your cumulative GPA will make it harder for you, but you can overcome it. The key for you is writing a killer statement of purpose and finding programs with professors who match with your research interests and are taking students. Publishing will also help you. I'll also say that getting into a PhD program directly out of undergrad is not easy. If it doesn't go your way the first time, you can pursue a Masters (if financially possible) or spend time working and try to publish or gain relevant experience to bolster your application.

Dear all, I trust you're having a good and productive week. Since the deadline is here, I want to gently remind you to formally decline any offers from schools you won't be attending (if you are reading this before April 15th at 11:59 pm).

Finally, I want to extend my heartfelt wishes for success to each of you, no matter where your journey takes you. Personally, I'm hopeful that this will be my last admission cycle. Regardless of the outcome, sharing this experience with you all has been a pleasure. G-d bless.

💚

2 hours ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

Dear all, I trust you're having a good and productive week. Since the deadline is here, I want to gently remind you to formally decline any offers from schools you won't be attending (if you are reading this before April 15th at 11:59 pm).

Finally, I want to extend my heartfelt wishes for success to each of you, no matter where your journey takes you. Personally, I'm hopeful that this will be my last admission cycle. Regardless of the outcome, sharing this experience with you all has been a pleasure. G-d bless.

💚

Second that and greatly appreciated. I have declined my other offers and only kept one offer and one waitlist. Hopefully there is a chance to off the waitlist. I wish everyone good luck!!!

Hi everyone, I hope you all heard good news or will hear soon. I just wanted to update you that I got an offer from Princeton and will be attending in September. It was a lovely ride here and thank you all for your support and solidarity throughout the process. I hope to see you all as wonderful future scholars!

I'll make sure to write a long and detailed Lessons Learnt when the post is up.

À la prochaine!

4 hours ago, london_boy said:

Hi everyone, I hope you all heard good news or will hear soon. I just wanted to update you that I got an offer from Princeton and will be attending in September. It was a lovely ride here and thank you all for your support and solidarity throughout the process. I hope to see you all as wonderful future scholars!

À la prochaine!

Congratulations!!!

On 4/17/2024 at 1:09 PM, london_boy said:

À la prochaine!

Congrats! Heard about that great news of yours from Mark last week! Can't wait to meet you in person this fall!

Dear all, I'm thrilled to share with you that I've been accepted to CU Boulder! Thank you all immensely for your unwavering support throughout this time. I wish you the best, and perhaps our paths will cross someday. Take care. GO BUFFS!

🖤

9 hours ago, ThucydidesLatte said:

Dear all, I'm thrilled to share with you that I've been accepted to CU Boulder! Thank you all immensely for your unwavering support throughout this time. I wish you the best, and perhaps our paths will cross someday. Take care. GO BUFFS!

🖤

Congrats!!! I'm glad there is a happy ending to the story. Best of luck with everything!

On 4/22/2024 at 11:16 PM, ThucydidesLatte said:

🖤

So happy for you!!! Wish you a great academic journey!!!

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to strengthen my application for PhD programs in Political Science in the U.S. Last application cycle, I received an unfunded offer from the University of Florida and rejections from six other schools (UNC, Madison, Georgetown, UIUC, Syracuse, Northwestern) without submitting my GRE scores.

My academic background before last application deadlines includes:

Undergrad in International Relations from China with a 3.78/4.0 GPA.
Master’s from LSE with a 3.5/4.0 GPA.
Was pursuing an MPhil in Ireland (no grades available at that time).

By now, I’ve recently taken the GRE and scored 165 verbal, 170 quant, and 4.5 analytical writing, and I am just about to start an intern job at UN in data analysis. My current coursework marks for the second master's are all 4.0. I feel more confident this year but still not sure where I'm gonna go.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on:

The Value of Referees: Does it significantly benefit my application to have referees who are well-connected in the US?
Writing Samples: Should I adjust my writing samples to be more quantitative to align with U.S. preferences? Given the fact that I indeed lack the quant research background. 
Overall Application Strategy: Any specific tips or strategies for applying to top U.S. programs in this field?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi all,

I'm on the waitlist for Georgetown's MSFS and was told that we would be notified after May 1st if there are any spots remaining for Fall 2024.

Does anyone have any info on the likelihood of SFS admitting off of the waitlist and when that usually occurs? This wait and stress has been killing me ugh.

(Further context: I had applied for a Georgetown dual degree program and was admitted for the other program. I know that faculty from the admitted program had reached out to SFS on my behalf - so wondering if that boosts my chances at all?)

Thank you if anyone has any info!

On 4/25/2024 at 5:24 PM, polisci119 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to strengthen my application for PhD programs in Political Science in the U.S. Last application cycle, I received an unfunded offer from the University of Florida and rejections from six other schools (UNC, Madison, Georgetown, UIUC, Syracuse, Northwestern) without submitting my GRE scores.

My academic background before last application deadlines includes:

Undergrad in International Relations from China with a 3.78/4.0 GPA.
Master’s from LSE with a 3.5/4.0 GPA.
Was pursuing an MPhil in Ireland (no grades available at that time).

By now, I’ve recently taken the GRE and scored 165 verbal, 170 quant, and 4.5 analytical writing, and I am just about to start an intern job at UN in data analysis. My current coursework marks for the second master's are all 4.0. I feel more confident this year but still not sure where I'm gonna go.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on:

The Value of Referees: Does it significantly benefit my application to have referees who are well-connected in the US?
Writing Samples: Should I adjust my writing samples to be more quantitative to align with U.S. preferences? Given the fact that I indeed lack the quant research background. 
Overall Application Strategy: Any specific tips or strategies for applying to top U.S. programs in this field?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey. I think your issue was not applying to better programs... often what happens is admissions committees reject applicants they think are likely to go elsewhere. It's not worth the time and effort to recruit someone who isn't likely to show up. I'm assuming you're interested in IR/comparative? Apply to better programs! Columbia, Penn, Stanford, Minnesota, Madison, Princeton, Washington, MIT, Syracuse, Northwestern (I know some of these were on your list).

Make sure your personal/research statement is tailored to the school, and highlights your research interests. I would not change your writing sample, but make sure that it is original research from one of your master's degrees, and not a lit review-type paper.

Having references that know people at the schools you're applying to can certainly help, but it's not a requirement. Your GRE scores should help. Highlight any language skills you have and if you have data (inc. qual) experience.