2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

On 2/11/2024 at 2:44 AM, Polisci882 said:

Does anyone have any info on when the following schools may release decisions? These are my remaining decisions. I’m American Politics: UC Berkeley, UNC, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Michigan State, University of Pittsburgh, Georgetown

I'm still waiting on Berkeley as well (American subfield). I'm stressing a little bit since there were those few CP/IR acceptances a few weeks back, but I haven't seen anyone claiming American yet. I'm hoping they just haven't made decisions yet for this subfield or something. 

Hey y'all! I'm meeting with the program director of one of the program's that accepted me later today, and I was wondering what you guys think are the most important things to discuss? I have some questions about funding and cohort size, but I'd like to use this opportunity to get as much information as I can, especially as I won't be able to attend any open days before making my decision.

appreciate any insights!

12 minutes ago, cbsag123 said:

Hey y'all! I'm meeting with the program director of one of the program's that accepted me later today, and I was wondering what you guys think are the most important things to discuss? I have some questions about funding and cohort size, but I'd like to use this opportunity to get as much information as I can, especially as I won't be able to attend any open days before making my decision.

appreciate any insights!

Hey congrats! Here’s a few questions I like asking:

1. What are your service requirements? (TA, RA, etc)

2. Are there extensive opportunities for co-authorship? 

3. I also sometimes ask to see placement records and time to completion records

Depending on what you want to want to do you can also ask about study abroad opportunities, language requirements, taking courses in other departments, and dual degrees. 

Hope this helps!! 

1 hour ago, cbsag123 said:

appreciate any insights!

My two cents.

1. whether there is a departmental ideal for the kind of doctoral students they hope to produce

2. departmental averages for time to completion

3. recent placements for students

4. what departmental/university resources there are for someone with your intellectual interests (including research grants. important if you do experimental works)

5. what is distinct or unusual in the way their program is structured, or in their departmental culture. (what makes their program differ from their peer)

6. (if applicable) (ask very politely and cautiously) any flexibility in matching funded offers from other programs. If so, any materials you may submit to help with the process

Good chat with the director! Let us know how it goes.

9 minutes ago, OrlandHistorian said:

Anyone in the American Politics subfield hear anything back from Washington, Notre Dame, or Pitt? 

WashU in St.Louis sent out acceptances in early January; someone in the results page claimed an acceptance from University of Washington in Seattle just last weekend - they are in theory nonetheless. 

29 minutes ago, Ir2024 said:

Well GMU reached back out and said they are not funding me. So looks like I won't be going there. Getting waitlisted at Georgetown and not even funded at GMU makes no sense. 1A/1W/2R/5P

that sucks. i'm so sorry. best of luck to the rest of your applications.

2 minutes ago, barthestow said:

that sucks. i'm so sorry. best of luck to the rest of your applications.

It is what it is, hoping to hear some positive news from Cornell, Hopkins, or Cincinnati this week. I’m running out of options at this point assuming OSU and Notre Dame are rejections.

49 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

Rejected from university of Maryland college park

could i ask if it's the portal update or email from the dept? also applied to UMD but heard nothing yet. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

Email from department. I did American politics. 

Thanks. I applied to CP but haven't heard anything from them, might email them later this week.

Best of luck with the rest of your apps!!

sorry if this has been asked before, but is the general consensus to not email about applications? I thought I heard something like that but want to ask before emailing one of my schools. thanks!!