2023-2024 Application Thread

Theory007

I've been considering calling admissions offices and asking when they will release decisions without saying my name or asking for a specific status update. I am hoping to have an idea so I can plan visitations with work/school. Is this a bad idea?

4 minutes ago, Polisci882 said:

Is anyone from any subfield with an offer from Georgetown able to share when the visit weekend is? If it’s coming up very soon, that means I probably got rejected haha 

I emailed and got a response saying there were only two spots for CP and I was not offered admission. If my memory serves me, the visitation days are this week. 

22 minutes ago, miss-walker said:

I emailed and got a response saying there were only two spots for CP and I was not offered admission. If my memory serves me, the visitation days are this week. 

Well I almost definitely didn’t get in then, if the visits are this week

54 minutes ago, miss-walker said:

I've been considering calling admissions offices and asking when they will release decisions without saying my name or asking for a specific status update. I am hoping to have an idea so I can plan visitations with work/school. Is this a bad idea?

Generally I think it's a bad idea. Most programs have a bolded message on their websites asking prospective students to refrain from reaching out to check in on the status of their application. But I don't think it would hurt your application. 

11 minutes ago, Greg_app said:

Generally I think it's a bad idea. Most programs have a bolded message on their websites asking prospective students to refrain from reaching out to check in on the status of their application. But I don't think it would hurt your application. 

I called a few schools without specifying who I was and just asked when they normally released decisions. One answered that it was ongoing and another said that the decisions already went out. 

23 minutes ago, Greg_app said:

Obviously, it’s easier said than done to not reach out. The waiting is certainly difficult, coupled with the fact that schools can release decisions when they want to, how they want to. But schools get tons of applicants, so I understand why.

Edited by Polisci882

1 hour ago, Polisci882 said:

Is anyone from any subfield with an offer from Georgetown able to share when the visit weekend is? If it’s coming up very soon, that means I probably got rejected haha 

Their open house is 26-27 February (I'm waitlisted and got a separate email with info about the visit).

On 2/7/2024 at 4:54 PM, Vulkain said:

Claiming UBC and USC acceptance! Quite shocked for UBC as I did not do a masters. Not sure where I will go... 

Hi! Congratulations!! I'm still waiting to hear back from the University of British Columbia. May I ask your subfield and if you by any chance know if UBC has sent out all decisions already? Thank you!!

On 2/19/2024 at 2:27 PM, ThucydidesLatte said:

Hi, everyone. This is my second time applying; I was very active on this forum the first time, and I'm a lurker this second time. 

It seems like this year Maryland is sending their decisions in a more personalized way than other schools, so if anyone got a decision in the CP subfield (it does not matter if you were accepted, wl, or rejected), please let me know the DMs, I have a question. Thanks in advance.

Congratulations to those admitted everywhere, and good luck to everyone else (including me).

Never mind, I got rejected this morning. 🫠😔

7 hours ago, lawpowpow said:

I'm IR. From what I've heard, UT has separate waitlists for each subfield. Also, they're admitting fewer people in 2024 because about two-thirds of those admitted last year enrolled, whereas it's usually only half. I don't know if this will be favorable for you or not, but keep your fingers crossed cuz you never know. Good luck!

did you get the overyield info from their virtual events? thanks.

2 hours ago, Heffalump97 said:

So do we think all the Cornell acceptances went out?

Based on the wording of the letters and email exchanges I have had with them it seems so. But I might just be misreading it. 

On 2/20/2024 at 8:58 AM, OrlandHistorian said:

Has anyone been accepted to UT Austin and is planning on differing admissions? I'm on the waitlist, and a few faculty are telling me to wait on accepting admissions elsewhere in hopes of finding a place for me at UT Austin before the April 15th deadline. I wonder if they're being sincere in finding me a placement or blowing smoke up my, you know what. . . .   

I still haven't heard anything lol. Portal still says "in review". 

Hi! Question about UChicago's MAPSS program. I'm applying out of undergrad and received one informal PhD offer. I asked the admissions what the timeline is given that I'll soon be making a decision (also, I still have technically 4 more schools to hear back from). So, what is the timeline/how likely is it that they admit PhD cycle students in past the UChicago Masters' deadline? I would rather attend a master's program (in social theory!) than accept my informal offer. I needed to be offered more funding to live comfortably in the PhD school's city. 

Has anyone heard about UPenn?

By the way, yesterday I received an email from Columbia, asking me if I am interested in their MA program, even though I didn't choose second option-MA button when I submitted my PhD application.

7 hours ago, politicalscience33 said:

Hi! Question about UChicago's MAPSS program. I'm applying out of undergrad and received one informal PhD offer. I asked the admissions what the timeline is given that I'll soon be making a decision (also, I still have technically 4 more schools to hear back from). So, what is the timeline/how likely is it that they admit PhD cycle students in past the UChicago Masters' deadline? I would rather attend a master's program (in social theory!) than accept my informal offer. I needed to be offered more funding to live comfortably in the PhD school's city. 

I say do the PhD. As many others have contributed the application process is getting increasingly difficult every yr and u might not get into the same place in the next cycle.

7 hours ago, politicalscience33 said:

As someone who did a UChicago Masters I would definitely say take the PhD offer, unless it isn’t fully funded. I loved my time at the school, but it is ultimately expensive and redundant if you get into a PhD program later. 

30 minutes ago, Ir2024 said:

As someone who did a UChicago Masters I would definitely say take the PhD offer, unless it isn’t fully funded. I loved my time at the school, but it is ultimately expensive and redundant if you get into a PhD program later. 

The Masters being redundant is very true—if the PhD stipend was not so low, I would take it. I still have places to hear back from, and I seriously hope one goes through. To address the other person who responded; I go to a non “little ivy” liberal arts school in the states. It’s great but not well-known. I believe a masters would increase my credentials next round regardless of difficulty. Most people getting into PhDs are much older than I am and have more experience, whether that be a masters or profession. I’m a mere undergrad with a published work in history (lol), a joint publication in CP (I’m not CP), and a couple of conferences. Plus I’d go into MAPSS with an outside fellowship! Hope this contextualizes some things :D