2024 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

LivingUnderABigRock

1 hour ago, sunnysequoia said:

@lychees I guess after you declined, they moved on to me because I JUST GOT AN OFFER FROM OHIO STATE 😭😭😭 OH MY FREAKING GOD I CANT BELIEVE I FINALLY GOT OFF A WAITLIST IM SO EXCITED 😀😭😀😭😀😭 

Ahhhh!!! I am so thrilled for you! Ohio State is an absolutely fantastic program —  if you end up going, I hope you have a fabulous three years ❤️ 

A school that rejected me reached out today to say that I was a finalist and they MIGHT have a spot for me as they are trying to take on a few more writers, but likely won’t be able to confirm until closer to June. “After the national deadline”

has this ever happened before? Is it too good to be true? 

What a wild day it’s been

7 minutes ago, decayingballads21 said:

A school that rejected me reached out today to say that I was a finalist and they MIGHT have a spot for me as they are trying to take on a few more writers, but likely won’t be able to confirm until closer to June. “After the national deadline”

has this ever happened before? Is it too good to be true? 

What a wild day it’s been

Omg I fantasize about this all the time. Love to see it could happen!

A school that I declined just reached out to ask which program I chose and why I declined. Is this a standard question to ask?

I would like to maintain a good relationship with them, but this feels a little intrusive. Not sure of the etiquette and would love advice.

14 minutes ago, Jane Wyman said:

A school that I declined just reached out to ask which program I chose and why I declined. Is this a standard question to ask?

I would like to maintain a good relationship with them, but this feels a little intrusive. Not sure of the etiquette and would love advice.

I've heard this is pretty standard. It's mostly so they know how they can improve to attract candidates in the future.  Of course, only share if you feel comfortable! 

11 minutes ago, Jane Wyman said:

It's not unheard of and unless you get douchey about it (like I did that one time) I doubt it will make any difference in your life going forward. 
As far as it being intrusive, are you not asked about this sort of thing all the time?
How was your experience shopping at home depot today? did you find everything you were looking for?

How likely are you to recommend Peter Pan Peanut Butter to a friend?

Was your customer service representative polite? were they able to answer your question?

Please describe your Amazon delivery experience? Would you lie to thank your driver? (Always say yes.)

This is no different. Programs want to know who and what they're competing with. I've learned a lot this year, one of the biggest things was how little these programs know about each other. When asked, I told them. I was kind and honest. (Except for that one time.) 

I'm actually going to email a couple of governors. 

Hi everyone. Really excited to see all the good news everyone is getting. And for those of you still in the waitlist limbo, hang in there

I wanted to ask, does anyone have any intel on Arkansas (fiction)? I'm waitlisted there, and based on my conversations with other waitlisters, Arkansas has been a black hole so far as far as any information goes. Any intel (including whether you have accepted an offer from there or turned them down) would be hugely appreciated.

1 hour ago, katerinamoon said:

Got accepted off the waitlist at Ole Miss! (And declined my spot on UTK's waitlist, so hopefully that helps someone else out!)

Congratulations!!

If you don't mind answering, is this for fiction? I'm also curious if you had spoken with the department much while on the wait list? (i'm waitlisted there but didn't reach out other than an initial thanks, so i wanna increase my chances next year if I'm in the same position again, hah!)

11 hours ago, prufrock_ said:

Congratulations!!

If you don't mind answering, is this for fiction? I'm also curious if you had spoken with the department much while on the wait list? (i'm waitlisted there but didn't reach out other than an initial thanks, so i wanna increase my chances next year if I'm in the same position again, hah!)

Yes, it's for fiction. If you mean the Ole Miss department, yes -- they were very communicative. But, I was also informed from the get-go that I was near the top of the list, so that might be why. 

If you mean UTK -- radio silence from them since the waitlist email, and I haven't gotten any reply to my email taking myself off the waitlist.

The Ole Miss dept. seem like decent folks and I appreciated how open they were with me. Feel free to shoot me a message if you wanna talk more in depth :)

2 hours ago, prele said:

new to this forum but i also just got off the waitlist for ohio state w/ t/a fellowship! so excited. I'm still waiting on some other waitlists, does anyone have information on Columbia's? Or know when they usually come out?

edit: in fiction to specify :)

Congratulations!!! They also offered me a fellowship and I was shocked because it was completely unexpected hahaha. I'm very likely accepting and am so excited too :) 

9 hours ago, sunnysequoia said:

Congratulations!!! They also offered me a fellowship and I was shocked because it was completely unexpected hahaha. I'm very likely accepting and am so excited too :) 

Congrats to u as well!! Maybe I will see u there

Anyone heard ANYTHING on Boise State? I feel like it's highly unlikely that all of us who applied didn't hear a word/didn't get in, but I'm sure it's possible. I sent an email recently but so far nothing.

3 minutes ago, taliaj said:

Anyone heard ANYTHING on Boise State? I feel like it's highly unlikely that all of us who applied didn't hear a word/didn't get in, but I'm sure it's possible. I sent an email recently but so far nothing.

Boise State fiction sent me my rejection today:) If you didn't hear, maybe no news is good news? 

Edited by Rixor

6 minutes ago, Rixor said:

Boise State fiction sent me my rejection today:) If you didn't hear, maybe no news is good news? 

Aw man, I'm sorry! Thanks for the info, though! Did they send it to you or was it just a portal update? Sorry for all the questions!

1 hour ago, taliaj said:

Aw man, I'm sorry! Thanks for the info, though! Did they send it to you or was it just a portal update? Sorry for all the questions!

No worries!! I would've declined if it was anything other than a rejection. It was an email telling me to check my portal, which included a rejection. I hope you have an acceptance waiting for you!

13 hours ago, alligator mississippiensis said:

Hello all! I just got off the NYU fiction waitlist and officially accepted a spot in their 2024 cohort!!!! This is my 4th year applying I literally feel like I'm going to vomit I'm so excited! ❤️ 

Congratulations!! Did they give any guidance on how long you have to decide if you take the spot etc?