ABD and quit? Going nuts

E.C.D.

Losing my mind trying to do a dissertation - ready to quit. What kind of job can I get MA/ABD in political science from a 3rd tier program? Community College? Government? Please help!

Take a deep breath and slow down. Take out a piece of paper and physically write down all of the reasons you want to quit. Put it away. Come back to it in a day or two. How valid do those reasons seem now? On the back of the paper, write down all of the reasons to keep going and finish. Put it away again. Take it out in a day or two. Compare the two lists. Which one seems more valid? Take out another piece of paper. Write down what it will take to get it done - materials, tools, emotional/physical aspects, etc. Put this list away. Look at it in a day or two. Do you think you have what you need to get it done? This process may seem very simplistic and almost corny, but I guarantee it does actually work. You are giving a voice to your concerns, a name to the problem, and some space to think and reflect on everything - that will get you to a clear-headed answer better than anything any one of us could offer up to you by way of advice one way or the other.

Good luck!!

Take a deep breath and slow down. Take out a piece of paper and physically write down all of the reasons you want to quit. Put it away. Come back to it in a day or two. How valid do those reasons seem now? On the back of the paper, write down all of the reasons to keep going and finish. Put it away again. Take it out in a day or two. Compare the two lists. Which one seems more valid? Take out another piece of paper. Write down what it will take to get it done - materials, tools, emotional/physical aspects, etc. Put this list away. Look at it in a day or two. Do you think you have what you need to get it done? This process may seem very simplistic and almost corny, but I guarantee it does actually work. You are giving a voice to your concerns, a name to the problem, and some space to think and reflect on everything - that will get you to a clear-headed answer better than anything any one of us could offer up to you by way of advice one way or the other.

Good luck!!

What she said. It's a big decision, and this is an excellent way (IMO) to help you reach that conclusion. Also, depending on why you're "losing your mind," you may also want to see your school's counseling center. And the careers guidance office, to help you plot alternatives to finishing your degree/help you see other possibilities outside of academe.

Good luck :)

Thanks guys...I think I am just SO burned out at this point that I need a break. I can't get "into" it, although I still have energy for other things. I have struggled a lot more than others have in the past few years and the thought of doing a dissertation makes me so frustrated. I am way behind my cohort in terms of progress on it, and I feel like it could be an enormous waste of time and money to keep at it. Sure, in the long run it would be worth it, but just getting started on it seems insurmountable. The boredom and loneliness of grad school is just too much for me - not to mention the fact the I am not at all enthused about the program. I enjoy teaching and want to do that.

While writing can seem like such an insurmountable obstacle, if you actually go around and talk to a lot of faculty (I remember interviewing a Pol Sci prof once), the actual writing doesn't take that long, if you can really sit down, grit your teeth and get through it.

That said, if you really just want to teach and are OK with an instructor level position, then go for it.

As a note of caution, however:

There's a whole thread on the Chronicle of Higher Education forum of complaints/gripes from search committees, etc. with people advertising they are ABD or "have an ABD"- the prevailing opinion there being that the dissertation is so key to the degree that the rest really isn't worth putting on your resume, and may actually detract. You have research experience/teaching experience/publications from your time which you can and should list on a resume, but you have no "degree" past MA (ie, don't put ABD in the "Education" section of your resume).

Just thought I'd warn you that there might be possible backlash depending on how you word it when you go looking for alternatives.

While writing can seem like such an insurmountable obstacle, if you actually go around and talk to a lot of faculty (I remember interviewing a Pol Sci prof once), the actual writing doesn't take that long, if you can really sit down, grit your teeth and get through it.

That said, if you really just want to teach and are OK with an instructor level position, then go for it.

As a note of caution, however:

There's a whole thread on the Chronicle of Higher Education forum of complaints/gripes from search committees, etc. with people advertising they are ABD or "have an ABD"- the prevailing opinion there being that the dissertation is so key to the degree that the rest really isn't worth putting on your resume, and may actually detract. You have research experience/teaching experience/publications from your time which you can and should list on a resume, but you have no "degree" past MA (ie, don't put ABD in the "Education" section of your resume).

Just thought I'd warn you that there might be possible backlash depending on how you word it when you go looking for alternatives.

Oh my GOD. The people in political science are so fucking petty. It's an accomplishment. Get over it.

This isn't just in political science, this is pretty widespread across disciplines.

However petty it might seem, that does seem to be the predominant opinion- just thought I'd give you a heads up.

How long ago did you defend your proposal? And how did it go?

Edited by Eigen