Interview weekend -- Smoking

franks98

I'm wondering if it will be an issue that I smoke during the interview weekend. Yes, I know it's a filthy, disgusting, horrible habit, and that I'm a horrible person blah blah blah... I hope to quit at some point, but the interview weekend probably isn't the best time to undertake such an endeavor. I am the most respectful smoker I know; I never smoke around nonsmokers, never litter cigarette butts, etc. But, I am wondering what the attitude is towards potential grad school students who smoke. I will be in Arizona for three days and while I am planning on only having a few cigs a day, that urge is going to take over and I am going to have to go have a cig from time to time. Any thoughts on this subject?

Edited by franks98

I'm wondering if it will be an issue that I smoke during the interview weekend. Yes, I know it's a filthy, disgusting, horrible habit, and that I'm a horrible person blah blah blah... I hope to quit at some point, but the interview weekend probably isn't the best time to undertake such an endeavor. I am the most respectful smoker I know; I never smoke around nonsmokers, never litter cigarette butts, etc. But, I am wondering what the attitude is towards potential grad school students who smoke. I will be in Arizona for three days and while I am planning on only having a few cigs a day, that urge is going to take over and I am going to have to go have a cig from time to time. Any thoughts on this subject?

Unless you find that one of the profs who has a say in your future also smokes, I'd recommend getting an e-cig. They will take care of a few hours without one and you can use them anywhere (namely the bathroom or somewhere else out of sight). Yes, fellow smoker, I feel your pain.

Unless you find that one of the profs who has a say in your future also smokes, I'd recommend getting an e-cig. They will take care of a few hours without one and you can use them anywhere (namely the bathroom or somewhere else out of sight). Yes, fellow smoker, I feel your pain.

Yeah, I had considered that, and may bring one, but I have a feeling that the airline might just toss a suspicious looking liquid in a bottle that only says "18mg". Maybe I'll bring some nicorette gum. I'm fine if I have to go a few hours. I would not be fine going more than 6-8 hours, or if the grad student I'm staying with would be weird about it or anything like that... that could turn into an awkward situation...

I guess the other thing is it depends where you're interviewing. As you know, when it's cold outside, you can't sneak a smoke. It just clings. If you're going somewhere warm, then you have a better shot at it. But I would say work out another fix if you're going to be in cold weather.

My e-cig has cartridges. I haven't seen one that comes with a bottle. Do you administer the amount of nicotine then?

I guess the other thing is it depends where you're interviewing. As you know, when it's cold outside, you can't sneak a smoke. It just clings. If you're going somewhere warm, then you have a better shot at it. But I would say work out another fix if you're going to be in cold weather.

My e-cig has cartridges. I haven't seen one that comes with a bottle. Do you administer the amount of nicotine then?

Mine uses refillable cartridges, so I just buy the e-liquid separately. It comes in a little 20ml bottle that you use to fill the cartridges with. The nicotine is at a consistent concentration, but you can buy different concentrations (to ween down on nicotine if you're trying to quite, I suppose) It saves some $ compared to pre-filled cartridges. Yeah, the interview is in Tucson next week, so I assume that it will be reasonably warm... I never realized that the smell clings when it's cold.. interesting.

Edited by franks98

Mine uses refillable cartridges, so I just buy the e-liquid separately. It comes in a little 20ml bottle that you use to fill the cartridges with. The nicotine is at a consistent concentration, but you can buy different concentrations (to ween down on nicotine if you're trying to quite, I suppose) It saves some $ compared to pre-filled cartridges. Yeah, the interview is in Tucson next week, so I assume that it will be reasonably warm... I never realized that the smell clings when it's cold.. interesting.

Oh yeah. You can't smoke in the cold and then walk into a warm building and not have everyone within 10 feet of you not know you just had a cigarette. It wears off, but it's a tough sell in the winter to maintain the "I don't smoke" appearance because the smell gives it away.

In the warm though, it doesn't cling very much. So, it's a lot easier to get away with. The idea is that it's offensive when you come in just having smoked and you stink like smoke. Since you'll be in Tucson, you probably won't have to worry about it (as much). But non-smokers (especially the holier-than-thou ones) can smell it on you a mile away. I think in your situation, better to not let something be a possible detractor to people who are evaluating you. I think in all honesty, a lot of candidates are fairly similar in terms of skills, so the personal things can go a long way. If you run into a non-smoker who is choosing between you and someone else, it could be a tipping point.

That being said, knowing myself, I would definitely figure out a way to sneak one. I know that I'd be nervous and stressed, and I'd rationalize that the warm weather makes it easier to smoke secretly, so I'd probably have one. LoL I'd be prepared though. Do the whole gum thing, wash the hands, etc. before having to talk to anyone. So I can say everything I just said, but in the situation, I'd probably have one if I could find a good opportunity to. Such is the nature of addiction. ;) Good luck to you!

Something else for you (or anyone else) to keep in mind is that some universities are going "smoke free," which means no smoking on campus, period. Can't say I necessarily agree with that, but wanted to bring it up as it would be a rather large faux pas to get ticketed while at an interview weekend.

hah, also going to Arizona this week. I smoke, but I can go for awhile without one. But, when I have a free moment to myself, that's when I duck out.

awesome! Are you interviewing in the psych department in the neural/cog area, or through the interdisciplinary neuroscience program?

I'm not a smoker, but I went to school in Arizona. All three major university campuses (NAU, ASU, UoA) have lots of smokers and facilities (outside benches, ash trays, etc) for smokers. Between classes you will see lots of students taking a smoke break. I even had one professor who took a break in the middle of every class so he could go get a cigarette and coffee. I wouldn't stress too much about this, as long as you are polite about it.

Oh yeah. You can't smoke in the cold and then walk into a warm building and not have everyone within 10 feet of you not know you just had a cigarette. It wears off, but it's a tough sell in the winter to maintain the "I don't smoke" appearance because the smell gives it away.

In the warm though, it doesn't cling very much. So, it's a lot easier to get away with. The idea is that it's offensive when you come in just having smoked and you stink like smoke. Since you'll be in Tucson, you probably won't have to worry about it (as much). But non-smokers (especially the holier-than-thou ones) can smell it on you a mile away. I think in your situation, better to not let something be a possible detractor to people who are evaluating you. I think in all honesty, a lot of candidates are fairly similar in terms of skills, so the personal things can go a long way. If you run into a non-smoker who is choosing between you and someone else, it could be a tipping point.

That being said, knowing myself, I would definitely figure out a way to sneak one. I know that I'd be nervous and stressed, and I'd rationalize that the warm weather makes it easier to smoke secretly, so I'd probably have one. LoL I'd be prepared though. Do the whole gum thing, wash the hands, etc. before having to talk to anyone. So I can say everything I just said, but in the situation, I'd probably have one if I could find a good opportunity to. Such is the nature of addiction. ;) Good luck to you!

Just to give a warning (I live in Tucson), it's only 40 degrees outside right now. It is supposed to start warming up this weekend though so hopefully it will be warmer for your interview. Oh and UA is definitely a smoker's campus. Mostly undergrads, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The smoke free campus comment made above is a great point. You don't want to break any rules before you even get accepted! A little google search (seriously, what did people do before google) turned up this doc of smoke free campuses.

http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/smokefreecollegesuniversities.pdf

That said, I did my undergrad in Chicago and a huge chunk of the student pop. smoked. Now I live in Florida and it's really weird to see people smoke, so I think it depends on the atmosphere....maybe the most unuseful ahead of time advice ever.

Why are people worried about this?

People smoke. It isn't a huge secret. I'm sure there won't be a target on your back. So just smoke.

I'm waiting to see a post with someone commenting about a huge zit they have and their worry it will offend the interviewer ;)

I worked in admissions and the only comment I ever read from an interviewer was that people looked completely disheveled (in terms of appearance type things). The main complaint was people not speaking English well enough to be understood. Soooo, yeah....I think you will be ok to smoke.

I would just try and hold out until when they dismiss you for the evening or whatever. Just get some nic. lozenges and wait it out.

I know you aren't looking for a lecture.

I'm about 3 months deep into quitting smoking, and I have to say I won't be back down that alley. It's amazing how much it changes your skin, hair, sense of smell, bank account, etc. It may seem like a great coping mechanism for stress now, but do yourself a favor and quit while you are ahead :D.

Edited by UFGator

I quit smoking two years ago in May. It was tough, but definitely worth it.

I did smoke through my master's degree, however. My professors didn't think anything of it, or if they did, they didn't say anything.

That said, I would definitely not smoke during the interview - why give them any reason to reject you?

I recommend smoking before you take a shower in the morning, using Nicorette gum and/or the patch through the day, and smoking again in the evening when you're on your time. Not during the day unless you have an hour or two between interview components.

Another thing you can do, is get a prescription for Budeprion. It's essentially the generic form of Wellbutrin. It is used for the treatment of mild depression/anxiety - but the beautiful side effect is, it kills your desire to smoke as well. That's how I did it (but get the prescription for anxiety/depression, because otehrwise your health insurance probably won't cover it). It took about two weeks for me to stop craving, but I haven't looked back since.

Good luck!!!