U of Wisconsin Madison

I, like intextrovert, was accepted to UW-Madison last year (we know each other) and I'm currently attending.

To help ease minds about funding, I can confirm that every incoming student eventually received first-year funds, mostly via PAships. On top of the university fellowships offered, two diversity fellowships were also given out. I cannot say what the outcome in terms of funding will be this year, but I can tell you that our DGS has been fantastic for the department--while top english programs across the country are still grappling with cuts, she has been expert at bringing money into the department.

If anyone else has questions about UW-Madison, I'm sure either I or intextrovert can speak to the quality of the program. I am loving it!

Good luck to all! I would bet you will hear very soon.

Aw man, I thought I had a chance. This was my top choice, I've been on the edge of my keyboard all week. Oh well, at least it's not the first school I heard from; I've got some good news to rest on. The stipend of 10K was very low and I was worried about it, so I guess it solves that problem.

Congrats to those who got in!

I, too, bit the dust. Congratulations to those admitted! :-)

woolfie, crae, and Disney, did you check the website on your own or did you get some sort of email notification telling you to check your status?

As a sidenote, I have no idea what my login info is for the website, so I can't check it anyway! But I really really want to know now, and it's driving me crazy. I'll definitely be calling them later today.

Edited by snappysorbet

No email, I just checked on the My UW site.

woolfie, crae, and Disney, did you check the website on your own or did you get some sort of email notification telling you to check your status?

As a sidenote, I have no idea what my login info is for the website, so I can't check it anyway! But I really really want to know now, and it's driving me crazy. I'll definitely be calling them later today.

This sentence makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy, because it's kind of an awesome sentence. Sad, because it kind of sums things up for me.

Haha, thanks. Don't be sad yet. It's not over til it's over.

Ugh, I had to call them to reset my password just so I could log in and confirm that I was rejected ("denied" actually sounds somehow worse, doesn't it?) and the IT guy wanted to walk me through resetting my password. No point in that, since I'll never be logging in again....

In your SOP did you mention that young perch is your favorite dish? I would've accepted you, no question. [despite the humor, my heart goes out. my comp/rhet rejection from Madison is forthcoming, so then we can all weep together in the same wet gunnysack.]

In your SOP did you mention that young perch is your favorite dish? I would've accepted you, no question. [despite the humor, my heart goes out. my comp/rhet rejection from Madison is forthcoming, so then we can all weep together in the same wet gunnysack.]

Thanks for making me smile :)

And hey, don't count your rejections before they're hatched - there's still hope until/unless you see that lovely "denied."

My app status still shows as pending. By the sheer number of rejections on the site, I am assuming that I have been rejected as well. I just would like a status update as to what is going on.

Me too. Why can't they update everybody's at once? Every time I have to go through that stupid drop-down menu and wait for the screen to show I about die... and then feel like an idiot, because obviously it's just going to change over to "denied." Hurry up, UW-Madison.

Me too. Why can't they update everybody's at once? Every time I have to go through that stupid drop-down menu and wait for the screen to show I about die... and then feel like an idiot, because obviously it's just going to change over to "denied." Hurry up, UW-Madison.

Same here, mine is still pending.Cripes, how are the decisions being entered? Alphabetically by last name of applicants? Well then, I have some time to wait--my last name begins with an S!

Why must UW-Madison play with our hearts?

Cripes, how are the decisions being entered? Alphabetically by last name of applicants? Well then, I have some time to wait--my last name begins with an S!

Mine begins with a V and I've already been rejected! So maybe the fact that yours is still pending is a good thing? I've assumed that I haven't been rejected from OSU yet because they're going alphabetically.

Mine begins with a V and I've already been rejected! So maybe the fact that yours is still pending is a good thing? I've assumed that I haven't been rejected from OSU yet because they're going alphabetically.

I have a theory about alphabetical elimination, too. I think those of us at the end of the alphabet (I'm an S) have more panic time than those at the beginning. For sure.

I'm also in the same boat with you on OSU... figuring end of alphabet = later rejection. But good luck to you!

I have a theory about alphabetical elimination, too. I think those of us at the end of the alphabet (I'm an S) have more panic time than those at the beginning. For sure.

I'm also in the same boat with you on OSU... figuring end of alphabet = later rejection. But good luck to you!

Not necessarily -- I'm still waiting for OSU, and my last name begins with an E. (My Wisconsin status changed to a reject this morning, though.) I'm not sure I buy this alphabet theory -- it doesn't really make much sense to go alphabetically like that.

My app status still shows as pending. By the sheer number of rejections on the site, I am assuming that I have been rejected as well. I just would like a status update as to what is going on.

It rolled over from pending to denied this morning.

Congrats to all acceptances! I have a favor to ask of you, if you have a moment--

After reading about all the recent acceptances, I went to check my status. The "My UW-Madison Grad Application Status" (under student services) still says "Pending," but when I clicked on the "Enter>>" link and got the Graduate School page, the box labeled "Status Description" says this: "Your program has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates."

I asked my two roommates if they think this means an admission. They think it does. I think it's still too ambiguous. Can anybody help me out? If you're still waiting, or if you have been admitted, does your "Status Description" say something different? I really wish it were 12 hours later so I could call and ask! Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

Congrats to all acceptances! I have a favor to ask of you, if you have a moment--

After reading about all the recent acceptances, I went to check my status. The "My UW-Madison Grad Application Status" (under student services) still says "Pending," but when I clicked on the "Enter>>" link and got the Graduate School page, the box labeled "Status Description" says this: "Your program has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates."

I asked my two roommates if they think this means an admission. They think it does. I think it's still too ambiguous. Can anybody help me out? If you're still waiting, or if you have been admitted, does your "Status Description" say something different? I really wish it were 12 hours later so I could call and ask! Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

Yes, I have the exact same message. It still says pending as my status, but I did take that message to mean that I had been or would soon be admitted. I believe that once the program makes their decisions, they have to send that list to the director of graduate studies of something for approval (make sure everyone meets GRE minimums or something).

I don't think you have to worry--I can't imagine they would put "recommended for admission" and then NOT admit you. At least, that is what I'm thinking/hoping. I'm already counting my chickens. Maybe that's not a great idea, but I can't help it. I'm already ecstatic.

Giaour - Yes, that means the English department admitted you. The Graduate School approving your application is basically a formality, and unless your GPA/GRE doesn't meet their minimum (unlikely) or some other basic thing, you're fine - I believe my online status said that for a while after I was admitted last year. I do think it's weird that the website is updated before the department has gotten around to actually directly contacting you (perhaps they are waiting for the official approval this year), but yes, I'd say you should be celebrating. Congratulations!