U of Wisconsin Madison

Yes, I have the exact same message. It still says pending as my status, but I did take that message to mean that I had been or would soon be admitted. I believe that once the program makes their decisions, they have to send that list to the director of graduate studies of something for approval (make sure everyone meets GRE minimums or something).

I don't think you have to worry--I can't imagine they would put "recommended for admission" and then NOT admit you. At least, that is what I'm thinking/hoping. I'm already counting my chickens. Maybe that's not a great idea, but I can't help it. I'm already ecstatic.

Okay, I feel better knowing someone else, somewhere else, sees the same thing. For a while I couldn't believe the text in that box had changed at all--I'm still thinking I don't believe it, but it's definitely reassuring to know you've got the same situation. I guess I just feel... incredulous? Congrats on your (very, very probable) acceptance, papillon!

Thank you for the congratulations, and same to you!! I couldn't believe my eyes either. I saw it while I was at work, and I definitely didn't get anything else done for the rest of the day! Thanks, intextrovert, for your insight. That quells any remaining doubts, and I can now celebrate wholeheartedly! Good luck to anyone who is still waiting to hear!

Yes! Thank you thank you thank you intextrovert, for your help. I think I might actually be able to sleep tonight, now! Congrats once again to the admits, and very best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats to all acceptances! I have a favor to ask of you, if you have a moment--

After reading about all the recent acceptances, I went to check my status. The "My UW-Madison Grad Application Status" (under student services) still says "Pending," but when I clicked on the "Enter>>" link and got the Graduate School page, the box labeled "Status Description" says this: "Your program has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates."

I asked my two roommates if they think this means an admission. They think it does. I think it's still too ambiguous. Can anybody help me out? If you're still waiting, or if you have been admitted, does your "Status Description" say something different? I really wish it were 12 hours later so I could call and ask! Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

Congratulations on your acceptance! I am sure you are elated! Do you mind sharing your stats? If not (I understand), but can you at least say what track you're on, literature, comp/rhet?

Congratulations on your acceptance! I am sure you are elated! Do you mind sharing your stats? If not (I understand), but can you at least say what track you're on, literature, comp/rhet?

Thank you so much--it's still pretty unbelievable! And my stats:

I applied to the Literary Studies program. I'll have my MA in lit from the University of Virginia in May (if all goes well!)--my area of focus is 19th-c. British/textual studies/digital humanities, and my GPA is 3.96.

GREs: Verbal--690; Quantitative--650; Writing--5.0; Lit--660

Really not terribly fantastic numbers, so it must be true what they say: numbers are only a small part! Good luck to everyone!

Yeah, sure. (This wasn't my post that you replied to, but I figured you meant anyone who got that same message.)

I applied for the literary studies track planning to specialize in modern to contemporary American lit with a focus on gender studies. As for stats, my GREs were 720 V, 800 Q, 5.0 Analytical Writing, and 720 Literature Subject. Undergrad GPA 3.97, no graduate work. No publications for English (I have one in a Chemistry journal, but I don't think that helped at all.) Highest honors on my undergrad thesis, and several awards in the department. My writing sample was an excerpt from my undergrad thesis, and my recommendations were all from professors I knew very well and had worked with closely. I finished my BA last year and have been teaching full time since then.

Hope this is helpful and/or informative. Best of luck, murkyama, with this whole process!

Thank you so much--it's still pretty unbelievable! And my stats:

I applied to the Literary Studies program. I'll have my MA in lit from the University of Virginia in May (if all goes well!)--my area of focus is 19th-c. British/textual studies/digital humanities, and my GPA is 3.96.

GREs: Verbal--690; Quantitative--650; Writing--5.0; Lit--660

Really not terribly fantastic numbers, so it must be true what they say: numbers are only a small part! Good luck to everyone!

Thank you for sharing! I have lower stats in the GRE Verbal Quant section, and if those matter, then I can see why I got the rejection.

Yeah, sure. (This wasn't my post that you replied to, but I figured you meant anyone who got that same message.)

I applied for the literary studies track planning to specialize in modern to contemporary American lit with a focus on gender studies. As for stats, my GREs were 720 V, 800 Q, 5.0 Analytical Writing, and 720 Literature Subject. Undergrad GPA 3.97, no graduate work. No publications for English (I have one in a Chemistry journal, but I don't think that helped at all.) Highest honors on my undergrad thesis, and several awards in the department. My writing sample was an excerpt from my undergrad thesis, and my recommendations were all from professors I knew very well and had worked with closely. I finished my BA last year and have been teaching full time since then.

Hope this is helpful and/or informative. Best of luck, murkyama, with this whole process!

Thank you for posting, and thanks for the good luck! Good luck to you as you embark on a PhD program!

Yes, I have the exact same message. It still says pending as my status, but I did take that message to mean that I had been or would soon be admitted. I believe that once the program makes their decisions, they have to send that list to the director of graduate studies of something for approval (make sure everyone meets GRE minimums or something).

I don't think you have to worry--I can't imagine they would put "recommended for admission" and then NOT admit you. At least, that is what I'm thinking/hoping. I'm already counting my chickens. Maybe that's not a great idea, but I can't help it. I'm already ecstatic.

I just checked the My UW portal again this morning, and it's finally updated to say I've been admitted, for sure. Definitely made me feel better (was beginning to think I had read the "recommended for admission" paragraph incorrectly) so thought I'd let others know who were possibly in the same situation. smile.gif

Yep, mine too! Yay! Can't wait to get some more information about visiting, funding, etc.

Yes... visiting and funding. Especially given what's been said about funding in years past. I wonder if it will be any different now that the Literary Studies track is single-trajectory, with no terminal MA.

Yes... visiting and funding. Especially given what's been said about funding in years past. I wonder if it will be any different now that the Literary Studies track is single-trajectory, with no terminal MA.

I hope so--- I keep hearing from grad students (from other schools) whose funding is great the first year and then fizzles a bit. Maybe knowing we're there for the long haul will help!

The visiting weekend sounds exciting- are there any any current students out there with insights on what to expect for this one?

Edited by marginalia

Accepted as well, to the PhD (lit studies). 96% verbal gre, 53% quant, 99% writing. ~50% subject test. several publications. No word on funding.

I hope so--- I keep hearing from grad students (from other schools) whose funding is great the first year and then fizzles a bit. Maybe knowing we're there for the long haul will help!

The visiting weekend sounds exciting- are there any any current students out there with insights on what to expect for this one?

Marginalia - does that mean that you got some info about a visiting weekend? And just in general, have any of the other admits heard anything from the school besides the congratulations message on the MyWisc site? I'm thrilled to have been admitted, but a little anxious to get some more info. It seems strange that the department has not been in contact with the exception of the website message.

Marginalia - does that mean that you got some info about a visiting weekend? And just in general, have any of the other admits heard anything from the school besides the congratulations message on the MyWisc site? I'm thrilled to have been admitted, but a little anxious to get some more info. It seems strange that the department has not been in contact with the exception of the website message.

Nothing concrete! Last year's acceptance forum does mention a visiting weekend-- people started posting about receiving info packets around February 20th and I'm pretty sure they were referring to traveling times in mid-March... (Which is to say that I am basing things mostly on over-excited conjecture. Part of me is really grateful that Madison informs so early, but that part keeps getting drowned out by the part of me that really dislikes being so in the dark about everything!)

Got an email from the Grad Coordinator saying that I have been recommended for admission. Yay!

I am anxious to hear about funding options, though. I really hope that they will be able to provide a full funding package for 5 years. I guess we will hear about this soon in a forthcoming letter?

Congrats to those who are also recommended for admission!

Got an email from the Grad Coordinator saying that I have been recommended for admission. Yay!

I am anxious to hear about funding options, though. I really hope that they will be able to provide a full funding package for 5 years. I guess we will hear about this soon in a forthcoming letter?

Congrats to those who are also recommended for admission!

Hey, englishgrad11, congratulations! I'm envious of your email--the only reason I know I've been accepted is because I checked the website. If you wouldn't mind sharing, did your email say anything else that might be interesting to the rest of us who are still waiting to be contacted? From your post it seems like perhaps they didn't tell you much else, but I think we're all anxious to hear about visiting/funding/etc.

Congrats again! Can't wait to hear more from them!

Hey, englishgrad11, congratulations! I'm envious of your email--the only reason I know I've been accepted is because I checked the website. If you wouldn't mind sharing, did your email say anything else that might be interesting to the rest of us who are still waiting to be contacted? From your post it seems like perhaps they didn't tell you much else, but I think we're all anxious to hear about visiting/funding/etc.

Congrats again! Can't wait to hear more from them!

I was accepted too, but haven't heard anything beyond the email about visiting days. Looking forward to hearing more about funding! Seems like there were a lot of acceptances--how many do they usually take, anyone know? or how many apps they receive?

Hm, I still do not have an update about visiting days...and I also did not get the previously discussed email about when decisions would be out. Did those of you who got info about visiting actually receive an email, or just check the MyWisc site? Seems like I might not be on a mailing list or something.

FYI to all considering UW-Madison as an option for graduate study in English:

I just posted a message regarding the political situation in Wisconsin and how this will affect grad students/workers. You can check it out at the link below and do not hesitate to ask me any questions. I am currently attending UW-M and *very* involved in the push against Governor Walker's proposed budget bill. I can hopefully answer most of your questions, if you have any.

I just got the email about visiting and it mentioned that we had information about the weekend in our admissions packet... Has anyone else gotten that packet yet? I ask because my roommate has long suspected that someone is stealing our mail and I have long suspected that she is delusional, but of course waiting for an admissions packet is enough to make me just as paranoid. Should I stop teasing her and jump on the bandwagon be worried?

I just got the email about visiting and it mentioned that we had information about the weekend in our admissions packet... Has anyone else gotten that packet yet? I ask because my roommate has long suspected that someone is stealing our mail and I have long suspected that she is delusional, but of course waiting for an admissions packet is enough to make me just as paranoid. Should I stop teasing her and jump on the bandwagon be worried?

Hey, marginalia. I'm also in at Wisconsin-Madison, and I got an email with a 16-page pdf from them yesterday. It does have info on visiting and funding, so if you didn't get it you might want to email!