U of Wisconsin Madison

Wow, it seems like a lot of people are applying with MAs already in hand. Is Madison one of those programs that lets you in at advanced standing? I know some programs don't do that. If so, do you think those without MAs are competing for the same spots?

The website says:

Admitted students who already have advanced degrees from other institutions may petition to have select courses count toward their Ph.D. course requirements, either in English or in their minor fields, but they are still expected to enter the program at the first stage.

So it seems like we wouldn't automatically have any sort of advanced standing - I personally am kind of glad. I could see petitioning to have one or two courses transferred to fulfill requirements, but I would imagine most of us would take advantage of the opportunity to take more classes!

So it seems like we wouldn't automatically have any sort of advanced standing - I personally am kind of glad. I could see petitioning to have one or two courses transferred to fulfill requirements, but I would imagine most of us would take advantage of the opportunity to take more classes!

Ditto -- I'm applying with an MA, but since my undergrad was in an unrelated field, I definitely want to do as much coursework as possible.

I also applied for lit, and did not get that email about the 14th, but I did get the email back in December that once and future grad mentioned. That's strange. You would think we would all get the same emails. Hm. Hope it's nothing. And that we all find out soon, and I can stop worrying that it's not nothing.

I also applied for lit, and did not get that email about the 14th, but I did get the email back in December that once and future grad mentioned. That's strange. You would think we would all get the same emails. Hm. Hope it's nothing. And that we all find out soon, and I can stop worrying that it's not nothing.

If you log into MyWisc, the emails should be copied there for your perusal. I'm getting a little anxious to hear from them.

Yeah, the email about the 14th is not in MyWisc either, just the previous one from December 29th. Trust me, I've checked that website about a million times!

You have to click on grad application status and then click Enter to enter the student center. Did you do that?

Yes -- the emails are available, but only the one from the 29th.

Yep, same here. It brings up the screen with all of my application materials with check marks next to them, and at the bottom there is the inbox with the one email from the 29th, but just the one email.

OK, here's my hypothesis: the people who already have Master's received that email, and the people who don't didn't. Or maybe those who said they were going to pursue an MA on their application (and then continue onto a PhD), as I did, did not receive the email, and those who indicated otherwise did. Let me know if you are in one of those groups and either of these guesses does not hold true for you.

I do not have an MA, and thus I applied to Wisconsin's Literary Studies MA program and indicated my desire to continue on through the PhD. I did receive the email about notifications going out by Feb.14th.

OK, here's my hypothesis: the people who already have Master's received that email, and the people who don't didn't. Or maybe those who said they were going to pursue an MA on their application (and then continue onto a PhD), as I did, did not receive the email, and those who indicated otherwise did. Let me know if you are in one of those groups and either of these guesses does not hold true for you.

No, I do not have a master's and I applied for MA/PhD and I did indeed recieve the email. It is probably just some bureuacratic reason, like they are doing the first half of the alphabet (my last name starts with a "B" )or just something random like that. I don't see any rhyme or reason from the applicant's perspective.

Edited by woolfie

No, I do not have a master's and I applied for MA/PhD and I did indeed recieve the email. It is probably just some bureuacratic reason, like they are doing the first half of the alphabet (my last name starts with a "B" )or just something random like that. I don't see any rhyme or reason from the applicant's perspective.

Darn! Well, it was worth a shot. Thanks!

Yeah I agree, although I admit I'd also probably (read: definitely) be obsessing over this if I hadn't received the email. If you are really concerned, I don't know whether this is the best idea, but you could call Robyn Shanahan, the sender of the emails and an incredibly warm and helpful person. I spoke with her on the phone for about 20 minutes awhile back because of a problem with one of my recommendations, and she was extraordinarily helpful and seemed to really understand the neuroticism that this process creates in applicants.

Yeah I agree, although I admit I'd also probably (read: definitely) be obsessing over this if I hadn't received the email.

Yes, definitely, I would, too. I understand why people might be wondering, we're all grasping for meaning in every single little detail we can get our hands on. Just trying to reassure people; it's not over til it's over!

I think that I'm just going to wait it out until the 14th, and then if I haven't heard anything, I'll contact them. I know that a bureaucratic reason is more rational, but it is making me think that those of us who didn't get an email might be on some kind of unspoken waitlist or something. It seems like the only reason why we wouldn't be finding out at the same time as everyone else. But actually I have no idea.

I am 200...maybe even 300 percent sure that those of you who did not receive the email have nothing to worry about. I would bet anything that it's just a random error. I received TWO of these emails simultaneously, so clearly their system is not perfect. I can't bear to hear you guys worrying about this when I'm sure it's ok.  Meanwhile, I'm slowly going insane because I'm convinced I've been implicitly rejected from one of my top choices. I should take the advice of the fair Ophelia: "Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven;Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine,Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads,And recks not his own rede." XD 

Honestly, I bet it's a fake since there's been this whole long thread and they claimed they got it so long ago. But if anyone wants to claim it, that's awesome and congratulations!

Good call... Honestly, why do people do that?! I didn't even apply and that acceptance post took me on a roller coaster of emotions over 5 minutes. Sigh. Here's hoping someone out there is genuinely happy, not just trying to give us mini-heart attacks.

Hi, everyone!

My friend (who isn't a member of Grad Cafe) posted the Madison admission--she received e-mail notification back in January of acceptance and scholarship nomination. I asked her if she would be willing to share information on the results feed so the poor, anxious folks contributing to this thread would have some sort of news. I'm so, so sorry I threw you all into cardiac arrest! I really and truly wanted to help. As one who applied last year and received straight rejections, I certainly can empathize with the waiting game anxiety issues. (I've mostly done lurking this season, but might start posting more frequently now.)

Anyway, my sincerest apologies again for causing extra stress. From what I can gather, Madison still has many an offer to make, so keep the faith!

Yep, I was admitted to UW-Madison last year, and I'll confirm that they do nominate two people for scholarships out of the 10-12 spots they have, and those two are notified early (I was a regular ol' admit last year, not one of the early scholarship candidates). Last year, the rest of the notifications went out on February 12 by email and the visiting days were in mid-March.

Also, just as a heads-up: last year, first-year funding was up in the air for quite a while for a lot of us (though the 4 years following were guaranteed), and information about funding was really vague and unclear. So those of you who get offers, be sure to very carefully review the financial info you get so you know where you stand. I didn't even realize until after the visiting weekend that I was on a waitlist for first-year funding. I eventually ended up with funding (though I also got a better offer at the last minute and didn't end up at UW regardless), but was very much in limbo for a while even after I was admitted.

The DGS there is lovely (not to mention brilliant), and told me after I turned down their offer that she really wants to make guaranteed funding for all years a top priority - so perhaps she succeeded and it will be different this year. The university in general has really taken a lot of hard hits from budget cuts, so I really believe they are doing the best they can (though it's advisable to be more upfront about it with their admits).

Anyway, aside from the stress of the financial stuff, it seemed like a fabulous program with great people, and exciting work - and Madison is so much fun! Good luck to you all!

Hi, everyone!

My friend (who isn't a member of Grad Cafe) posted the Madison admission--she received e-mail notification back in January of acceptance and scholarship nomination. I asked her if she would be willing to share information on the results feed so the poor, anxious folks contributing to this thread would have some sort of news. I'm so, so sorry I threw you all into cardiac arrest! I really and truly wanted to help. As one who applied last year and received straight rejections, I certainly can empathize with the waiting game anxiety issues. (I've mostly done lurking this season, but might start posting more frequently now.)

Anyway, my sincerest apologies again for causing extra stress. From what I can gather, Madison still has many an offer to make, so keep the faith!

Yep, I was admitted to UW-Madison last year, and I'll confirm that they do nominate two people for scholarships out of the 10-12 spots they have, and those two are notified early (I was a regular ol' admit last year, not one of the early scholarship candidates). Last year, the rest of the notifications went out on February 12 by email and the visiting days were in mid-March.

Also, just as a heads-up: last year, first-year funding was up in the air for quite a while for a lot of us (though the 4 years following were guaranteed), and information about funding was really vague and unclear. So those of you who get offers, be sure to very carefully review the financial info you get so you know where you stand. I didn't even realize until after the visiting weekend that I was on a waitlist for first-year funding. I eventually ended up with funding (though I also got a better offer at the last minute and didn't end up at UW regardless), but was very much in limbo for a while even after I was admitted.

The DGS there is lovely (not to mention brilliant), and told me after I turned down their offer that she really wants to make guaranteed funding for all years a top priority - so perhaps she succeeded and it will be different this year. The university in general has really taken a lot of hard hits from budget cuts, so I really believe they are doing the best they can (though it's advisable to be more upfront about it with their admits).

Anyway, aside from the stress of the financial stuff, it seemed like a fabulous program with great people, and exciting work - and Madison is so much fun! Good luck to you all!

Good to know, intextrovert! Thank you for the info.