unrest/doom/insanity

Yup. I was also told by all of my professors that my apps would be stronger with both a completed BA and a completed thesis as a writing sample. So we'll see . . .

I have a "full draft" of my thesis, and I'm now in the process of (trying to!!) revise it. I wanted to send what I had as a writing sample, but because of the varying page limits, I used my chapter one, cut down to size a bit. That was what I felt comfortable with, anyway... chapter two is still really rough, and adcomms would've been offended if I even sent that part lol. So I took the "safe route". As far as actually working on said thesis: HA! I've basically accepted that it's not happening for real until I get some responses from applications.

I hope you guys are having more luck on working than I am!

I have a "full draft" of my thesis, and I'm now in the process of (trying to!!) revise it. I wanted to send what I had as a writing sample, but because of the varying page limits, I used my chapter one, cut down to size a bit. That was what I felt comfortable with, anyway... chapter two is still really rough, and adcomms would've been offended if I even sent that part lol. So I took the "safe route". As far as actually working on said thesis: HA! I've basically accepted that it's not happening for real until I get some responses from applications.

I hope you guys are having more luck on working than I am!

I'm working on a creative project. I managed to write a new poem for my manuscript yesterday, but it was really rough going. All I could think about was how people were probably judging my work right then, talking about me, weighing my work (blood, sweat, tears) against the work of others of equal merit. It's so hard to deal with thoughts of rejection. I just want the weight to be lifted, either way, so I can truly get back to this manuscript, though I do fear that rejection might affect my morale and thus delay my project even further. Le sigh.

I have a "full draft" of my thesis, and I'm now in the process of (trying to!!) revise it. I wanted to send what I had as a writing sample, but because of the varying page limits, I used my chapter one, cut down to size a bit. That was what I felt comfortable with, anyway...

I used my first chapter, adjusted to three different lengths, as my main writing sample. I think it's a smart move since you can note at the top that it's part of a larger thesis or project.

I used my first chapter, adjusted to three different lengths, as my main writing sample. I think it's a smart move since you can note at the top that it's part of a larger thesis or project.

ohmy.gif crap.... I didn't clarify that . But yeah, I had so many different lengths for the writing samples, I tweaked Ch. 1 too. Fingers crossed!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry....I just knew y'all would totally get it, and I'm losing it over here. NOTHING, from any of my programs. I submitted all of my applications December 1. GOD, this wait is killing me!!!!! And this is my second time around, too. Last year I had heard from three of five programs by now. This year is just - AHHHHHHHHHHHH! :blink:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry....I just knew y'all would totally get it, and I'm losing it over here. NOTHING, from any of my programs. I submitted all of my applications December 1. GOD, this wait is killing me!!!!! And this is my second time around, too. Last year I had heard from three of five programs by now. This year is just - AHHHHHHHHHHHH! :blink:

I'm in the same boat and it's killing me :( Two rejections, and in the final round at Loyola (which was at the bottom of my list, but still nice), but no acceptances as of yet. Eight more to go. I'm not being able to work on my thesis at all, and I'm sleeping through most of the day. It's nice at least to have a place where we can commiserate... Hang in there, MM -- you're not alone.

ETA: I submitted all my applications during the Thanksgiving break, so it's been almost three months...

Edited by fall-11

I applied to eight schools while working on my thesis last year. Believe it or not, I was less stressed out then, because the thesis took my mind off of applications! This year I'm just working, so there's very little to distract me.

I concur. I just finished my degree this fall semester. I've been working one full time job and a part time job for the last three years while finishing school. Last semester was insane--two jobs, three classes (was only supposed to take one but had to take three to qualify for health insurance!), PhD applications, and major surgery.

Now, all I have to do is wait? What? That's a recipe for insanity. I need to start some overly ambitious projects, like building a new dining room table or something...

I, too, am going absolutely crazy. I think my boyfriend is beginning to hate me. I only applied to one place with a deadline of Dec 1st. I know they will be calling people any day now, likely within the next two weeks. I try so hard to work and do productive things, but all I can think about is "What if this, what if that?" All I do is waste time. My life is a farce.

Edited by sarandipidy

I still haven't heard anything, either. My earliest deadline was December 1st and the latest is tomorrow, but I've finished everything.

The December and January schools should start notifying this week, I would think . . . I certainly hope, because waiting is getting worse and worse. I'm a jittery mess at work because I have constant access to the internet. Gaahhh.

I'm also starting to sweat, particularly about Chicago... i really hope they send out the rejections via email and not just snail mail (as it seems was the case last yr); seeing rejections pop upon the results board and then having to wait an extra week for international mail would suck more than a simple email rejection.

I'm also starting to sweat, particularly about Chicago... i really hope they send out the rejections via email and not just snail mail (as it seems was the case last yr); seeing rejections pop upon the results board and then having to wait an extra week for international mail would suck more than a simple email rejection.

I'm in the US and I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet either. Or in my email, sadly. I wish they would just put us out of our misery! Their application site is so pretty and well maintained that you'd think whoever built it could just figure out how to send automatic rejection emails to the "denied."

Nothing from ANY of my schools today. Not even UMass, which was sending out rejections right and left last week. This is horrible.

I'm in the same boat as all of you, but luckily I'm half a world away which certainly helps. I just joined this forum, and yes, it's addicting, but I think mostly, I'm feeling good. I mean, if I don't get, I don't get in. And I am absolutely certain (as all should be) that I will do something interesting with my next four to five years regardless. I find that working on a project, which is my only goal this year, helps a lot. I am taking a sabbatical from teaching, living in Japan, and happily writing my second novel-- this one bringing to fruition six years living abroad. There's nothing like writing to bring joy during the process of awaiting admission! Good luck to all, and thanks for your posts!

That's great that you have such a good attitude about it. Hope it rubs off onto the rest of us -- god knows we need it! I also tend to turn my attention to my writing in times of stress -- it's a way of channeling all that nervous energy into something you can actually control, you know? I finished two poems last week, and in the last 2 weeks, I've sent out submissions to 11 journals and 3 contests. I figure if I don't get in, at the very least, I'll have gotten some poems out it! :)

That's great that you have such a good attitude about it. Hope it rubs off onto the rest of us -- god knows we need it! I also tend to turn my attention to my writing in times of stress -- it's a way of channeling all that nervous energy into something you can actually control, you know? I finished two poems last week, and in the last 2 weeks, I've sent out submissions to 11 journals and 3 contests. I figure if I don't get in, at the very least, I'll have gotten some poems out it! :)

Most definitely! I mean, that's what we're working towards anyway, right? Good luck to you and keep finding the beauty!!

wow, you guys sound so productive.

Well, not really -- this only happens to me when I'm *supposed* to be doing other things, like writing my thesis, or term papers or something. It's like I'll do *anything* to avoid writing the thesis, but at the same time I don't want to feel like I'm being unproductive, so I start revising poems or sending out submissions. In some twisted way it makes me feel like I'm doing something useful, while in reality I'm avoiding my thesis. ;)

Still haven't heard... and to make matters worse my period came today. Fucking ouch.

Harpyemma, I haven't a clue what you've designated as your subfields/research interests, but if they intersect with women's studies at all, I'd take the arrival of your monthly visitor as a harbinger of good things to come! :lol:

Edited by ecg1810

Harpyemma, I haven't a clue what you've designated as your subfields/research interests, but if they intersect with women's studies at all, I'd take the arrival of your monthly visitor as a harbinger of good things to come! :lol:

Ah, but i wouldn't want to conflate womanhood with sex organ function... that's a slippery slope!

You are amazing for just posting this. Valentine's Day. Period. Rejections. YES! The world loves us.

I think it would be really gross if I signed, 'your menstrual sister' but I kind of want to.

The worst bit about my Valentine's Day was when i posted a frustrated status about my proposal (that is, my MA dissertation proposal) on facebook last night and my recently-engaged (and smug) friend assumed i was upset because she's getting hitched and i'm "a spinster". At 21!

Edited by harpyemma